Has anyone setup a 501(c)3 before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone setup a 501(c)3 before?

I am on the fence about setting up a non-profit in our little coastal community to benefit locals in need and am wondering if anyone has set one up before and, is it really worth all the red tape and expense? We are still in the organizing our plan phase and before we take everything to an attorney I want to make sure all our ducks are in a row.

Any and all first hand information will be greatly appreciated!

God bless,

Michael

Not totally sure of your mission? I did one myself without a lawyer or expenses......time was extensive but it was approved. If you are looking for others to fund your work many will want you to have that designation. If your work is incredibly powerful and a difference maker in the community most will still contribute. U can get that designation anytime down the road. Again, many grassroots efforts take off without the paperwork as a need is being filled.[emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Read this book.

The lady that wrote it is sooooo HOT!!

Oh and extremely smart.

Comment

The BCAC did. A good tax accountant and lawyer can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Read this book.

Oh and extremely smart.

Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Not totally sure of your mission? I did one myself without a lawyer or expenses......time was extensive but it was approved. If you are looking for others to fund your work many will want you to have that designation. If your work is incredibly powerful and a difference maker in the community most will still contribute. U can get that designation anytime down the road. Again, many grassroots efforts take off without the paperwork as a need is being filled.[emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We have just setup a community involvement group that focuses on assisting folks in need with yard work and repairs as well as beautifying the community (keeping public areas clean and mowed). In order to receive assistance (labor) from those sentenced community service we have to have a 501(c)3 according to the local judge. We are still very small but want to be more involved in the community and possibly make a difference in someone’s life and am unsure of moving forward with the nonprofit or remaining as we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              Read this book.

Oh and extremely smart.

Will check her...I mean it out [emoji6]

Comment

We did it when we started the Church. It was a pain in the rear but we finally got it done. You might look at partnering with a local Church and running your program through under their 501c3. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like a good program.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  We did it when we started the Church. It was a pain in the rear but we finally got it done. You might look at partnering with a local Church and running your program through under their 501c3. Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like a good program.

Now that is an awesome idea! Thank you sir!!!

Comment

The Cajun and I started a non-profit that takes out the children of military families on hunting/fishing trips. He was in law school at the time we formed it and took a class that was based on non-profits; he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      ^^^This is a good idea to explore imho.

Comment

Setting up a 'non-profit' and setting up a 501(c)(3) are different things. All 501(c)(3)'s are (technically) 'non-profits', but not the other way around.
                        501(c)(3) designation allows those who contribute funds to your organization to deduct them from their taxes.
                        However, there are many 'non-profits' that do charitable or other work, yet money they receive is not tax-deductible. For example, a local 'service' organization could be set up as a 501(c)(4) organization and be exempt from income taxation, yet money paid to them is not tax-deductible by the donor. A lot of fraternities or sororities may be 501(c)(4) organizations - payment of dues is not tax deductible, yet the organization is 'exempt' based on its purposes/use of funds.

Comment

I will be following this. Looks like I will be starting one soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X