Meter rack for house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meter rack for house?

We had a house moved and are going underground with the electric. Electric company said to have an electrician build a meter rack to hook into once the wires are laid underground. Anybody ever went through this and what was the approximate cost to establish this. I got a quote, but not sure if that’s the going rate, and really not thinking about getting another quote from another electrician.
    Rack and meter box only is what I understood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm building a house now and my electrician is building a galvanized rack to hold my pass through meter base for my house and shop, 320 amps. His bid was $1,800. Seemed fair to me.

Comment

I built a few and you can do it yourself for less than 200. I used strut and it took no time. Been there for over 5 years and no problems.

Comment

Find out if the electric company has any specs on what you need to use to build it. You will then need to decide if you need 150amp main, 200 amp main or something bigger. If bigger than 200 amp make sure electric co is good with320 amp meter some may want transocket instead of a self contained meter base. Most I have seen where built with 4x4 post and unistrut or metal post with unistrut. Meter base and main in the middle

Comment

Unistrut with 200 amp main just cost me $1200 installed materials and labor.

Comment

Y’all are getting reasonable pricing. In Brazoria the contractors are higher than giraffe ears on everything. TNMP raped me on their end too.

I just did a rack myself because I couldn’t fathom spending 10k+ for my meter rack with 500’ of underground 3” and roughly 30’ of underground 4”.
            Attached Files

Comment

Get the specs from the electric company and just build it.. Posts, unistrut, some bracing, and a meter socket... $100 or so depending on what type of meter base

Comment

Yea, hardest part is setting poles. We built a hella stout one for a 400amp service at my FIL weld shop and didnt spend maybe 500 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

My coop power company set a pedestal meter near the property boundary with two 200 amp breakers and a 50 amp for construction power for around $1500. This included my share of a 50 kva transformer. The pedestal looks nice and provides a convenient disconnect if I need to do any serious work inside the main panels.

Comment

The rural coop where I live has provided this service for me at a cost comparable to other bids in my situation. You may want to check. Now on our recent new build they did give me a spec sheet for my building contractor.

Comment

Local electricians told me mine would be about $1500. I got the specs from the electric company and did it myself as well... Not sure if it can be built for 100 or even 200 dollars but certainly less than $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                        Local electricians told me mine would be about $1500. I got the specs from the electric company and did it myself as well... Not sure if it can be built for 100 or even 200 dollars but certainly less than $1500.
                        It can be built for 200. I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                          It can be built for 200. I did it.
                          Awesome, glad you got yours done that cheap. I guess maybe 5yrs ago it was possible, however there is no way you would build mine for $200 adhering to my specs at today's prices.

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                            Awesome, glad you got yours done that cheap. I guess maybe 5yrs ago it was possible, however there is no way you would build mine for $200 adhering to my specs at today's prices.
                            I understand that. Mine was extremely simple. Basically an H brace plus a strut at the top. I used a t post driver to drive the strut and then just bolted all together. Keep in mind this is out in the country as well.

Comment

I just recently built a new house, and I went with my power underground. I had a screw up the first time around, my conduit was undersized (2", my supplier required 3") so they wouldn't hook it up, so make sure you check with your power supplier before you have everything installed. With that being said, I have about 20ft of scheduled 40 gray conduit, and two scheduled 80, 90 degree sweeps and a meter hub that I'd make you a heck of a deal on if you're interested. I also have 20ft of 4/0 entrance cable if you're in need of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X