Bad year for fawn survival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a lot of the areas deer live flooded and does dropping fawns right now will this be a poor year for fawn recruitment?

Fire ants will likely be a problem in a lot of areas.

Comment

If they can avoid the flooded areas, with all the growth there sure are a lot of places for the little ones to hide. I would think predation is a bigger risk for fawns.

Comment

I feel like big rains equal greener pastures and more places to hide. This won't impact where I hunt at all, but I'm very interested in the responses on this one.

Comment

I think it is more of a positive than a negative. It is for sure better than no rain.

Comment

There is always going to be habitat related mortality in fawns. Fawning cover is excellent this year so I would expect a banner crop. Far worse, is drought with stressed mothers and increased predation due to lack of fawning cover.

Comment

In my case it's a positive, there is more cover out there than I have ever seen on my place.

Comment

Mucho positive where I hunt out west. Its as green and tall as I’ve ever seen in my now 12 years out there.
                Last edited by Smart; 05-21-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Much more worried about nest/poult survival

Comment

About the best year for fawns in along time. More habitat here, Im not near flooded rivers but there is more greenery to hide in.

Comment

Hopefully they where a little early. And with the wet weather they will be out of the hay fields by time we get to start cutting. I have not seen any yet in our area though.

Comment

Still real dry in a lot of south Texas.

Comment

I would guess a good year for fawns where I live.

Comment

Should be bumper crop in Mills and San Saba County

Comment

Looking for a very good year on my lease in Fisher county. Good rains equals good cover for the fawns.

Comment

Working...
                              X