Tips for coyote hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for coyote hunting?

Me and WTucker went yesterday morning for the first time with no luck. We borrow and electric call from my coworker, and we mostly played the rabbit in distress. Our set ups we're on pipelines and we tried to set up when multiple pipelines intersect so it's more open. We called with the wind in out face. Is there certain things to look for in set ups, certain calls to try, or just anything we could do to improve our odds?

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk

By the way we were in Hardin Co a and the pipelines are about the only open land around

Comment

Yotes always come in down wind of call.
      Set up with a cross wind.
      Use a decoy as well.

Comment

Good chance they came in downwind of you, your hunt area should be downwind of your call. Also a moving decoy will distract their attention away from you.

Comment

I would recommend a coyote feeder...and plz share the feedback

I don't remember the title but there is an awesome thread on here about predator hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
            Me and WTucker went yesterday morning for the first time with no luck. We borrow and electric call from my coworker, and we mostly played the rabbit in distress. Our set ups we're on pipelines and we tried to set up when multiple pipelines intersect so it's more open. We called with the wind in out face. Is there certain things to look for in set ups, certain calls to try, or just anything we could do to improve our odds?

Just because you didn't see any on one trip doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
              Yotes always come in down wind of call.
              Yeah no. Sorry. The word "always" and "coyote" hardly belong in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post

I don't remember the title but there is an awesome thread on here about predator hunting.

What I know about calling coyotes.....

Comment

That’s the one [emoji3516] thk u sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post

u laugh but they eat corn do a search

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                      I have killed them eating underneath a feeder myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post

I started a thread about it and got roasted lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Spring calling sequence when pups are on the ground rabbit in distress is good but when those pups start moving try this sequence .
                          - coyote Pup yip or whimper for three to fours seconds
                          - rabbit in distress for two seconds
                          - coyote pup yip or whimper for two to three seconds
                          - rabbit in distress two seconds
                          - coyote pup in distress for three to four seconds
                          - male coyote howl for one to three seconds
                          - coyote pup in distress for minute
                          - rabbit in distress till a female coyote shows up
                          String all this together kind of quick .
                          This is supposed too sound like a coyote pup playing with a rabbit and a male coyote
                          Killing the coyote pup.

Comment

I am definitely not a expert coyote hunter. I have tried calls a few times, with zero success. I have always done better figuring out where they are and where they are moving to and from. The area where you are hunting, probably does not have a huge coyote population, but does have coyotes. If there is not much grass in the area, probably not many rabbits in the area either, likely a rabbit call is not the best of choices. I know of other guys using rabbit calls in areas where there are lot of rabbits and lots of coyotes and not seeing a single coyote. Probably best to be calling at a time of the day, when they are out hunting, then in areas where there are rabbits.

Where we used to live, there were a lot of coyotes, most of the day, I found they seemed to sleep, then in the afternoon, they would get up and go out hunting, they would do so at the same time of the day everyday. They changed up the time they would go out hunting at different times of the year, but I know at given times of the year, they would go hunting at the same time everyday. I know because we had a den back behind the house and we could hear them before they took off hunting, then as they headed out to the pasture, they would bark off and on, I could keep track of where each one was, as they all headed out from the den to the pasture. Then once they got out in the pasture, they got quite for a couple of hours, then typically they would sound off, making a bunch of racket. For years, I used to think that meant they got something, but then later I really wondered if it was a scare tactic. Basically a way of trying to scare other animals into running and then they could hear them and know where to go looking for dinner. I never determined for sure what all of the racket was about. They definitely did not seem to be done hunting after they made all of the racket.

I know I have been told many times, with any type of calling, predators, bucks, ect. The worst thing you can do, is call too often. I can promise you that bit of info is true. But how you get them to come to a call, I don't know. I would bet, being at the right place at the right time. Meaning, being where and when they are going to hunt.

I have killed a lot of coyotes over the years, many times I specifically went out after coyotes and could kill multiple on one trip and I never called once. I just knew where they would be out hunting and when they would be hunting. I got there before them got well hidden and waited for them.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              I am definitely not a expert coyote hunter. I have tried calls a few times, with zero success. I have always done better figuring out where they are and where they are moving to and from. The area where you are hunting, probably does not have a huge coyote population, but does have coyotes. If there is not much grass in the area, probably not many rabbits in the area either, likely a rabbit call is not the best of choices. I know of other guys using rabbit calls in areas where there are lot of rabbits and lots of coyotes and not seeing a single coyote. Probably best to be calling at a time of the day, when they are out hunting, then in areas where there are rabbits.

Where we used to live, there were a lot of coyotes, most of the day, I found they seemed to sleep, then in the afternoon, they would get up and go out hunting, they would do so at the same time of the day everyday. They changed up the time they would go out hunting at different times of the year, but I know at given times of the year, they would go hunting at the same time everyday. I know because we had a den back behind the house and we could hear them before they took off hunting, then as they headed out to the pasture, they would bark off and on, I could keep track of where each one was, as they all headed out from the den to the pasture. Then once they got out in the pasture, they got quite for a couple of hours, then typically they would sound off, making a bunch of racket. For years, I used to think that meant they got something, but then later I really wondered if it was a scare tactic. Basically a way of trying to scare other animals into running and then they could hear them and know where to go looking for dinner. I never determined for sure what all of the racket was about. They definitely did not seem to be done hunting after they made all of the racket.

I know I have been told many times, with any type of calling, predators, bucks, ect. The worst thing you can do, is call too often. I can promise you that bit of info is true. But how you get them to come to a call, I don't know. I would bet, being at the right place at the right time. Meaning, being where and when they are going to hunt.

I have killed a lot of coyotes over the years, many times I specifically went out after coyotes and could kill multiple on one trip and I never called once. I just knew where they would be out hunting and when they would be hunting. I got there before them got well hidden and waited for them.
                              You sure used a lot of words to say “I don’t know.”

Comment

Working...
                              X