Protien Attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protien Attachment

I saw an attachment that goes over your spin feeder so you can control how much protien you feed. It was at GG archery in Georgetown. We tried feeding pellets out of our spin feeder but they always clogged. Called the Trophy Tough I think it was around 60 bucks. I am going to give it a try on one feeder and see if it works.

If you are rationing feed... it's not going to have much of an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
      Agreed, but i do have one timed protein feeder. It was designed to last longer than my free choice to give me some time to get back to the lease and fill the free choice. For protein you really need a 4" opening for your spinner.I read an article by Stuart Steadman years ago about not letting your feed run out. This seems to be a key for helping to grow your heard.
      Attached Files

Comment

we used to feed roasted soy beans out of our spin feeders before they got way to expensive. We saw an improvement in our bucks and more bucks. As Red Dirt stated it helps keep them around and the feed does not run out in a week or so. I figure it has to be better than feeding just corn. I am sure self feeding is better but I live several hours from where I hunt so my self feeder was empty more than half the time. I am going to put one of these up and see how the deer like it. Won't know untill next year if it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
          I saw an attachment that goes over your spin feeder so you can control how much protien you feed. It was at GG archery in Georgetown. We tried feeding pellets out of our spin feeder but they always clogged. Called the Trophy Tough I think it was around 60 bucks. I am going to give it a try on one feeder and see if it works.
          I have had the problem of feeders getting clogged up when feeding protien. I made sure there was a funnel leading to the spin plate and mixed in a little bit of corn and had no problems after that.

Comment

we used to feed roasted soy beans out of our spin feeders before they got way to expensive. We saw an improvement in our bucks and more bucks. As Red Dirt stated it helps keep them around and the feed does not run out in a week or so. I figure it has to be better than feeding just corn. I am sure self feeding is better but I live several hours from where I hunt so my self feeder was empty more than half the time. I am going to put one of these up and see how the deer like it. Won't know untill next year if it helped.
            Yep, those roasted soybeans are a wonder - I mix them with whole corn to give a 21% or higher crude protein level for deer. It's a little more than I want to spend, but I went and purchased one of Mitch's big protein feeders plus live on the property that I hunt helps out too.

Comment

Here is the protien attachment on my feeder. I still had the door open when I took this picture. I also set up a camera to see how the deer react to it. I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

^^^ This.

What they want. When they want it. As much as they want.

Comment

Amen if you got the pockets to pay for it. My cousins ranch fed 110 tons last year. I believe this is for us poor working folk that want to feed some protein but have a budget.

Comment

Amen if you got the pockets to pay for it. My cousins ranch fed 110 tons last year. I believe this is for us poor working folk that want to feed some protein but have a budget.
                    Sounds like you need to take some mouths off the ranch then. I say this because it seems the natural vegetation can't support that much if deer eat 110 tons a year

Comment

He has 3300 acres and kills about 125 deer a year. He has BIG DEER and some exotics that he is thinning. I would hate to see his feed bill. But the deer look great.

Comment

It would be cool to see some TBH's feed bills, some guys on here have big ranches and deep pockets.
                        I'm guessing 110 tons is $40-50K for protein.

Comment

Yes he gets it staight from purina they deliver 18 wheeler loads. I buy about 2500 pounds a year thats all I can justify. That is why I like this product.

Comment

Originally posted by Freer View Post
                            It would be cool to see some TBH's feed bills, some guys on here have big ranches and deep pockets.
                            I'm guessing 110 tons is $40-50K for protein.
                            110 tons would cost us around $55,000 bagged and delivered in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                              110 tons would cost us around $55,000 bagged and delivered in Mexico.
                              Yeah I could do that split between 55 people lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X