Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job search question

Sorry for the long read...

First a little background. I am 38 with a 4 year old and 2 month old. I have been at my current job for the last 10 years as an outside technical sales rep for a company that does industrial automation controls, electrical test equipment and motor controls. I have found my niche with companies that service the water and waste water industry. Before that I was project/Warehouse manager for 8 years at a company that made custom saltwater filtration systems. I did not graduate college though or get my associates.

Now, I have loved my job in years past but have always thought about leaving the heat of Texas and trying to find something somewhere like Colorado, New Mexico etc and recently certain things started to happen in my company that are making it toxic and no longer a fun place to work. A lot of immaturity and hatred between coworkers and entire offices ( We have a Dallas, Houston and New Orleans office ) that have me starting to seriously start looking for something new.

Now that I am looking it seems like every decent job posting requires a Bachelors degree of some sort just to apply,so my question is for you on here that are doing the hiring for your companies, how much does the degree matter over the real life work experience matter? Should I still apply for these jobs? I am a fast learner and feel I can be taught just about anything. I know I should have finished school but like so many I started working and making money at a young age and went that way. lol. Thanks for listening

No reason not to apply - worst that can happen is you just don't get a call back.

That said, there are companies (right or wrong) that absolutely have black and white checkbox requirements that aren't negotiable. A guy I worked with that was an outstanding performer was let go because a lot of firms are "up or out" and in order to make manager you had to be a CPA. He was told numerous times to get his license or he couldn't be promoted and he didn't do it. When it was time for him to move "up or out", he was out.

I'd just make sure you're not misleading anyone in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
      No reason not to apply - worst that can happen is you just don't get a call back.

That said, there are companies (right or wrong) that absolutely have black and white checkbox requirements that aren't negotiable. A guy I worked with that was an outstanding performer was let go because a lot of firms are "up or out" and in order to make manager you had to be a CPA. He was told numerous times to get his license or he couldn't be promoted and he didn't do it. When it was time for him to move "up or out", he was out.

I'd just make sure you're not misleading anyone in the process.

Thanks, yeah the “check box” is what I’m worried about. Don’t really have the time now but have thought about finishing my degree online so I can check that box off

Comment

Sales here as well. Our HR Dept overlooks that "box" if you have plenty of experience. Sounds like you do (and you're not a job hopper)

Comment

Yea, If it is a sales job, who cares about a degree. All that matters is can you make the company money. I deal with a number of sales people in my job and I don't think many of them have degrees. What they do have is a pleasant personality, and a work ethic. There are a few sales guys WITH degrees that always bring up their alma maters. Don't be that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
            Sorry for the long read...

First a little background. I am 38 with a 4 year old and 2 month old. I have been at my current job for the last 10 years as an outside technical sales rep for a company that does industrial automation controls, electrical test equipment and motor controls. I have found my niche with companies that service the water and waste water industry. Before that I was project/Warehouse manager for 8 years at a company that made custom saltwater filtration systems. I did not graduate college though or get my associates.

Now, I have loved my job in years past but have always thought about leaving the heat of Texas and trying to find something somewhere like Colorado, New Mexico etc and recently certain things started to happen in my company that are making it toxic and no longer a fun place to work. A lot of immaturity and hatred between coworkers and entire offices ( We have a Dallas, Houston and New Orleans office ) that have me starting to seriously start looking for something new.

Now that I am looking it seems like every decent job posting requires a Bachelors degree of some sort just to apply,so my question is for you on here that are doing the hiring for your companies, how much does the degree matter over the real life work experience matter? Should I still apply for these jobs? I am a fast learner and feel I can be taught just about anything. I know I should have finished school but like so many I started working and making money at a young age and went that way. lol. Thanks for listening
            A lot of the time they add all sorts of things simply because they need excuses to not hire certain people.

Comment

Having done a fair bit of hiring and having looked at a plethora of resumes, I would suggest one thing. Don't let the fact that you can't check that box stop you from applying, but don't ignore the fact that it is a posted requirement. You should address it in a cover letter and explain why they should consider you even though you don't have a degree. Address the issue head-on.

Comment

I’m currently on my 2nd “degree required” sales job. I don’t have a degree. A strong resume and solid references will go a long ways.

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                  Having done a fair bit of hiring and having looked at a plethora of resumes, I would suggest one thing. Don't let the fact that you can't check that box stop you from applying, but don't ignore the fact that it is a posted requirement. You should address it in a cover letter and explain why they should consider you even though you don't have a degree. Address the issue head-on.

Thank you for the idea. I never hide the fact that I don’t and am open when I talk to people about college, ( have a lot of buddies with masters who like to rib me )but I really like your idea of addressing it right off the back

Comment

Originally posted by J Wales View Post
                    Good solid advice in the above statement.

Comment

As mentioned above, address it in the cover letter. Explain that you have the ability to stick with a company for a long time and that you have experience. A college degree is nothing but a piece of paper. Job experience and job tenure can mean more. Keep your resume to one page and look up the current filters/robots that are resume blockers. You could be the best candidate but if your resume isn't formatted correctly, it will never even reach HR. Here is a brief article on "resume robots" https://www.themuse.com/advice/beat-...to-human-hands

Comment

I agree as mentioned above. If you have any specific training or certifications that you can spotlight along with your experience in lieu of a degree certainly can’t hurt you

Comment

We overlook a college degree for the right candidate. If someone is will to learn, has integrity and doesn’t job hop speaks much more to me than a degree.

Comment

You've been given solid advice in this thread. A few additional points though... Often times that box is in the job description, especially for a sales type of position to make certain an applicant has the maturity and discipline to have a solid baseline of knowledge of "how things work"... From experience, I can tell you I don't "need" my degrees (I have 2) to do the sales jobs I've been doing for the past 42+ years, BUT, what those degrees did was to give the folks who hired me early in my career some degree of confidence that I had a sound thought process and a basic understanding of how things worked. To this day, I tell folks that ask if I am an engineer, I tell them, "Yea, but I do my best not to act like one!" In your case, in a sales environment in the niche industry you have identified for yourself, I'd have to believe your experience and work background would have to portray the same confidence in a potential employer. Like has been said, just be up front about it and go sell yourself. If you can do that, you will be successful!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I’m going to take these ideas and recommendations and put out some resumes and apply for some jobs and see what happens. I don’t want to be a job hopper and hopped to retire where I’m at now ( still might happen ). But loves to short to be unhappy and not like what you do. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X