Need some advice from .44 Mag Pistoleros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice from .44 Mag Pistoleros

I don't know a lot about firearms and pistol loads. Going on a hunt this fall where those big grizzly bears are known to be. Will carry a .44 Mag. In the past, the pistol was just extra weight and never had to use it. Always brought heavy hollow point loads. Have now been reading the hollow points probably would not allow for a lot of penetration and have been recommended a Buffalo Bore 225 gr. Keith (load). What is meant by Keith?
    Any other recommendations on a hard hitting load with excellent penetration?

Elmer Keith was instrumental in developing the 44 mag. He hot rodded the 44 specials to magnum energy before there was a 44 mag.
    I would go with the BB44 mag loads, if I couldn't have a 12 gauge slug gun.

Comment

They make a hot 340 grain +P load but you should have a new pistol for that hoss.

Comment

Go with Hardcast for sure. Like these>

Underwood Ammo has flat rate shipping on a wide selection of premium ammunition. Shop today for specialized self-defense and hunting ammo and more

Comment

Or these depending on what pistol you have and whether it can handle the load. (read the description in the link)

Underwood Ammo has flat rate shipping on a wide selection of premium ammunition. Shop today for specialized self-defense and hunting ammo and more

I am partial to Underwood over Buffalo Bore

Comment

I load a 310 grain WFNGC over a healthy dose of H110. Here’s a shoulder from a cow elk that got hit with it.
            Attached Files

Comment

There was a thread just recently with a link to an interesting article on effective bear rounds. Perhaps someone can repost that link or direct you there. Just make sure you are comfortable with and can shoot whatever round you choose!

BTW, does 76Aggie reflect the bicentennial class of ‘76? Class of ‘76 here. Whoop!

Comment

What kind of revolver are you taking? If single action, I'd find something different. Time is critical if it hits the fan, and single action may not allow more than a shot or two. Just got back from Wyoming where there are grizzlies. My .44 is single action only, so I took a couple of 10mm instead. Less powerful, but pretty hefty and able to get a lot of shots downrange quickly. Fortunately didn't need them. Oh, and from what I've read bear spray is far more effective in deterring an attack. We carried both.
                Last edited by ACbob; 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I sure hope someone will re-post that link. Like I said, I am not much of a gun person. I know who Elmer Keith was but had no idea he had anything to do with improving .44 loads.

And yes. 76Aggie does refer to the Bicentennial Class of 76.

Comment

ACBob, bringing a Taurus Tracker 5 shot. Double action. Very lightweight and since we are being dropped, all weight is critical. Thought about a 10mm and the added firepower but in all reality, if one of those bad boys really comes at you, a man would be lucky to get off one, maybe two shots. Those big bubbas can really move!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                      I load a 310 grain WFNGC over a healthy dose of H110. Here’s a shoulder from a cow elk that got hit with it.
                      This is the load you need, I run these about 1100 fps in my 629, you need the penetration in a load that is controllable. My normal hunting load is a 265 grain WFN at 1100 fps and it will penetrate thru any hog lengthways.

Comment

76, Read some Kieth books. They're not just historical, but entertaining. I may have two Hell, I Was There copies. I'll check next week. If I do, it's yours to read then pass on to someone else.

BTW, I shoot a .44 because of his books but when my son guided in alaska he carried a 12G pump, not a 44. Lodge rules.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                          I sure hope someone will re-post that link. Like I said, I am not much of a gun person. I know who Elmer Keith was but had no idea he had anything to do with improving .44 loads.

And yes. 76Aggie does refer to the Bicentennial Class of 76.
                          I think this is the link to article I was referring to:

Good luck with the hunt! Will follow your posts and would like to visit with you more at some later point.

Comment

I used to run the Garrett 330 gr Long Hammerheads, can only shoot them out of a Ruger though. They pack a punch.

Comment

Some good advice above. For sure no hollow points A good site to visit and learn from is Gary Reeder's form and website (gun smith in Flagstaff Arizona)

Comment

Working...
                              X