No announcement yet.

The build of 289 cubic inches of awesomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One important thing to note is the offset that the rod has. You can see the bearing is a little to the right. This is so the bearing will clear the radius on the crank ( where crank meets the throw). If you do not install the rod correctly as in backwards the engine will probably make one pass at the drag strip and lock up ( or 2 laps at the dirt track).

All pistons in and buttoned up.

Comment

Camshaft going in. We use the lube that comp provided. Flat tappet camshafts have a high failure rate these days from EPA mandating that oil companies take zinc out of the oil. Its not needed in todays engine cause everything is roller. To prevent failure we are using their assembly lube and their break in oil additive.

This is where we had to end the day. There was not a camshaft dowl pin in the cam box. We called comp and they are mailing one.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
        Nice car.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
          Gonna be nice! I'm in so I can see y'all make it look easy. Hell, I hate changing a starter.
          There are other things I feel the same way about.

Comment

NICE!!!! Looking good! Wish I still had my first it was a '65, a little darker blue, had a straight six, put a 302 in it, 4 barrel, 4 speed trans, posi rear end, was pretty dang quick. Can't wait to see y'alls final results!

Comment

Sweet ride man can i wheel it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_bowhunter86 View Post
                Sweet ride man can i wheel it. Lol
                I dont think he will let me drive it

Comment

What heads?
                  What cam?

Comment

Originally posted by Denton View Post
                    NICE!!!! Looking good! Wish I still had my first it was a '65, a little darker blue, had a straight six, put a 302 in it, 4 barrel, 4 speed trans, posi rear end, was pretty dang quick. Can't wait to see y'alls final results!
                    We are putting a T5 behind this motor and it will have a posi rear.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      What heads?
                      What cam?
                      stock 289 heads with a comp 292H hyd cam. Nothing crazy

Comment

Are the heads small chamber 54.5cc and have the double dot cast next to the 289 right by the valve spring pocket? If so these are good heads also known as 4 barrel heads. Have them massaged and add bigger intake valves with a 5 angle valve seat grind. I like to see 2" intakes with 1.6" exhaust. Beehive hi-po valve springs, Titanium collars. Heads are an engine's choke point and without good heads you leave a lot on the table. Best bang for the buck is a good head job. I prefer the stronger 302 block with the 289 crank and the older 65-66 four barrel heads for building rat motors. Glad to see the flat tops vs dished pistons.
                        Motor will need good headers and exhaust. Adding a crossover about half way back will help add some torque. 350 rear wheel hp is pretty easy. 11:1 compression will give plenty of torque. Run it a bit on the rich side at first. Older motors don't much like ethanol unless you are injected and have computer controlling the motor.
                        Looks like ya'll are having fun

Comment

Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                          stock 289 heads with a comp 292H hyd cam. Nothing crazy
                          How does that cam compare with the Ford hipo PN #C90Z-6250-C
                          460 lift 289 duration. This was a good old Hydro cam by FoMoCo. Would rev to 6500.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            How does that cam compare with the Ford hipo PN #C90Z-6250-C
                            460 lift 289 duration. This was a good old Hydro cam by FoMoCo. Would rev to 6500.
                            This cam is a little bigger.493 .500 lift. adv duration is 262 270 but it has a more aggressive ramp duration at .050 is 218 224 so its a real similar cam with more lift and its cut on a 110 lobe separation.

Comment

Working...
                            X