How do you convince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
    How do you convince your wife that it is perfectly safe for you to hunt solo? Either at a deer lease or a western diy public land hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    ive been hunting solo since I was 16. so I guess I didn't have to convince my wife. if you have cell service at your lease or where your going out west. you can text through out the hunt and let her know your okay. let her know your back at camp, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
      How do you convince your wife that it is perfectly safe for you to hunt solo? Either at a deer lease or a western diy public land hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      Its not. Hunting is inherently dangerous ( to a small degree ). You are NEVER perfectly safe. But, as others have suggested, keep in touch while gone to ease her anxiety about it. Or you could get one like mine. She never cared whether I went hunting or not. Of course she left me a year and a half ago so maybe not.....

Comment

I have never had that problem.....that being said I am usually extra careful when I am hunting by myself. I took the biggest deer of my life when I was by myself.

Comment

This
          Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          The bigger the life insurance policy, the easier to convince.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Never been an issue for me as she knew about me hunting alone when we got together. She was also raised by a family that hunted so I'm sure that helped out a bit.

Comment

when both the other guys I was supposed to go to Colorado with backed out two years ago, I just told my wife that I was still going by myself. so when day came told her I would call when I could and made the 18hr drive up there stayed a week and came home (did not shoot an elk but had a blast).

Comment

I think it depends where you are hunting. I used to do it all the time when I was younger until........once I was hunting and tracking a javalina (sp) I had put an arrow thru on a lease in South Texas. Walking thru the heavy, thorny, brush, head down , following a blood trail I looked up in the mesquite tree I was under and there was a wad of bees about as big as a 48 qt ice chest. If I would of brushed this limb and p'd them off they surely would have killed me, a 1000 yds from the 4 wheeler.

I convinced myself. Don't let her read this it won't help your case.

Comment

Tell her your not alone, after she gives you the stink eye, tell her Gods with you. Not really sure what else to tell her, never been in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    Not sure. You could possibly lie and tell her you are taking someone with you. She might be worried you are not actually going hunting.
                    That is possibly the worst advice in this thread. Don't lie. If your wife is worried about you hunting alone because she thinks you are cheating on her, your relationship has bigger problems.

If you have the type of wife that worries about your safety, do what you can to mitigate that. Spot or GPS that pings location and doesn't need a cell signal, call or text when at camp if you can, etc. My wife is the type of worrier that she is always convinced I am dead in a ditch somewhere so doing this works for us. It doesn't help I have been pretty accident prone and she has received too many calls from me saying I was injured over the last 26 years.

Having said that, I don't ask for permission. She knew how important hunting was to me when we got together. But there is nothing wrong with soothing their fears if they are the type of person that worries.

Comment

I get in the truck and drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        I get in the truck and drive away.
                        Yep or there would be a new wife in the life. If you have kids, your oldest boy won't even be able to hunt with you until he's 25 .

Comment

My wife uses a Find Friends type of ap. She can even tell me which stand I hunted that day. My son uses one too to check on me. Quite consoling to know that if you should have a debilitating accident they would send help. Could be that your wife is truly worried about you. Hug her for it.

Comment

Thanks for your concern Honey, I appreciate it, but I'll be ok.

Then leave, end of story.

Comment

Start going with her every time she leaves the house because you're afraid she'll wreck the car or get mugged.

Comment

I would rather walk around cougar, and bear country than walk around down town Houston at 2 in the morning.Tell her there is way more to hurt you in town than in the sticks, for example;
                                Thugs
                                Bad drivers
                                Slippery tile
                                Road debris
                                Pit bulls
                                Etc

Comment

Working...
                                X