No announcement yet.

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, the actual specs on the front end of the arrow shown above are: 225-grains for broadhead itself, with a 75-grain adapter for screwing into the 100-grain brass insert. So, there's 400 grains altogether up-front, with a total weight of 680 grains (Warrior carbon, 400 spine).

Comment

All head and no arrow![emoji2]
      It flies good and you shoot it well Ellis but those field points are hell getting out of a Rhinehart 3D pig. [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        BTW, the actual specs on the front end of the arrow shown above are: 225-grains for broadhead itself, with a 75-grain adapter for screwing into the 100-grain brass insert. So, there's 400 grains altogether up-front, with a total weight of 680 grains (Warrior carbon, 400 spine).

That arrow seems like it should be too weak from a 70# bow???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          That arrow seems like it should be too weak from a 70# bow???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Draw length has been measured at 27 inches; Rick Barbee says that his son's drawlength is the same as mine, and said he knows that bow pulls 69 pounds at that drawlength. That said, it's possible that my actual shooting drawlength may be slightly less than that -- slightly lowering the poundage, and I cut a little off the shafts to tune them. So, all that together seems to make them work just fine for me.

I will add this: for fun I shot some 340 Beman's (that I have for my heavier longbow), and they consistently hit 6 or 7 inches to the right of the spot I would look at for the 400s.
          Last edited by tradtiger; 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM. Reason: grammar (mine for me) :)

Comment

How long is the arrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              How long is the arrow?
              About 31" or 31.5", I recollect. (out of state right now, can't measure)

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, finally got to a point where I felt like it was time to put a broadhead onto shaft for flight. Actually tested another setup with an external aluminum footing, but I shot about 18” to the right!!(possibly a couple inches more even). Still got a lil time to play but this very well could be the setup. They fly like darts and hit where I’m looking.

Anyhow here are the specs:

Dryad Orion Longbow 76lb @ 28” (I’m getting every bit plus a little of that)

Easton FMJ Dangerous game 250 shafts 28 3/8” long from the bottom of the throat on the nock to the end of the shaft with a 50gr brass insert and 300gr tuffhead.

Total arrow weight 906gr.

FOC: 21.36%.

The Head was sticking out just a hair under 1 1/2” on the off side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rick will be proud.[emoji16]
                  Hope you get the op to use it.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man... I'm curious to see what my Toelke (64lbs @ 33") with 675 grains and Tree sharks would do to one of these drums. I don't have a 20 yard range though, so I probably won't get around to shooting this anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                      Well, finally got to a point where I felt like it was time to put a broadhead onto shaft for flight. Actually tested another setup with an external aluminum footing, but I shot about 18” to the right!!(possibly a couple inches more even). Still got a lil time to play but this very well could be the setup. They fly like darts and hit where I’m looking.

Anyhow here are the specs:

Dryad Orion Longbow 76lb @ 28” (I’m getting every bit plus a little of that)

Easton FMJ Dangerous game 250 shafts 28 3/8” long from the bottom of the throat on the nock to the end of the shaft with a 50gr brass insert and 300gr tuffhead.

Total arrow weight 906gr.

FOC: 21.36%.

The Head was sticking out just a hair under 1 1/2” on the off side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      That's purdy good.

Now go kill somethin.

Rick

Comment

Really interesting results so far. I wonder how much Broadhead sharpness effects penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                          Really interesting results so far. I wonder how much Broadhead sharpness effects penetration.
                          Fascinating thread, I’ve resisted commenting as long possible cuz nothing to say that hadn’t been said..

I know Rick had stated all heads were comparable sharpness, but I think one of the most critical factors in penetration is sharpness RETENTION...agreed on a 12” thick doe it’s less critical, but on more dense game( such as boars) it is huge. The resistance ( and dulling)on that head starts immediately. This is why a high quality steel also unfortunately equates to expensive. Yes, over the years, tons of game has been shot with inexpensive soft metal heads, unfortunately no one records the pics of curled up heads.

Rick, we have to be sons of different mothers. Thanks for all your time spent on this...
                          Did you test sharpness on the broadheads after removal?

BTW, I think second critical factor (that gets lost in high FOC hysteria) is the nock following exactly behind that broadhead

Comment

Tradtiger, I have some 250 and 300 gr VPAs I would be glad to loan you... you are ( in my opinion) spot on with better blood trails on those pigs.... penetration won’t be an issue with that pound

I shoot very similar setup as you are, and I have to agree with Bisch, I would think you would be very weak. I’m shooting 350 & 300s with that head weight You might have someone record your release and see true DL

Comment

Originally posted by TexKing View Post
                              Tradtiger, I have some 250 and 300 gr VPAs I would be glad to loan you... you are ( in my opinion) spot on with better blood trails on those pigs.... penetration won’t be an issue with that pound

I shoot very similar setup as you are, and I have to agree with Bisch, I would think you would be very weak. I’m shooting 350 & 300s with that head weight You might have someone record your release and see true DL
                              Thanks, TexKing, but I actually already bought some 300-grain VPA three-blades.

On DL, drawing to corner of mouth, I may well be under 27", putting actual force in the neighborhood of 65 lbs, I reckon. They work okay, though, and my arms aren't fixing to grow.

Comment

For fun and out of curiosity I just took a few shots each with my regular 400 spine 680-grain, 31-1/2" arrow and a 340 spine 630-grain, 29-1/2" arrow. Hard to discern a difference in flight and hit within a couple of inches of each other.

Pic shows shots from 15 yards. 400 hit spot, 340 a little lower and right.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X