6.5 Grendel enough weapon for deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel enough weapon for deer?

I built a 6.5 Grendel and love shooting this weapon. It has almost zero recoil and is wicked accurate.

Is this a suitable weapon for whitetail?

I used a 6.5 Grendel to harvest an Axis buck and he didn't take but a couple of steps after the shot. This being the one and only deer that I have taken with the 6.5 makes me question, is it enough. Was my Axis a fluke?

Is there anyone on the GS that has used the Grendel whitetail?

Absolutely

Comment

More than enough.

Comment

Shot my first doe last weekend with my Grendel, and it was plenty of gun. I was shooting the 123 grain Hornady SST round, and it did its job. Will keep hunting with it!

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          Shot my first doe last weekend with my Grendel, and it was plenty of gun. I was shooting the 123 grain Hornady SST round, and it did its job. Will keep hunting with it!
          Was the shot through the shoulder? Did she drop or was there tracking involved?

Comment

I knew folks years ago that killed deer every year with a .22 lr

Pop them in the lungs, they will die

Comment

Never used the 6.5 Grendel, but my daughter took one with the 300BLK last weekend. It performed extremely well. I've seen plenty of deer that were shot with 30-06 and 308 that were no more damaged than this doe. Since the 6.5mm is a pretty commonly used caliber for mid-sized game, and the Grendel performs quite efficiently, I would think it would do quite well for whitetail. The only piece of advice I would stipulate is, know the bullets you use and know at what distance/velocity they cease to properly mushroom.

Comment

She was about 50 yards away and facing me. Never could get her to turn broadside. I was 12 feet up in a tripod, and my shot went through her front shoulder, and exited her chest right between her front legs. Great bloodtrail and she maybe went 40 yards.
                Attached Files

Comment

.22 LR is plenty so 6.5 Grendel will work Fine.

Comment

It is a big step forward from a 22-250 or a .223

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                      I built a 6.5 Grendel and love shooting this weapon. It has almost zero recoil and is wicked accurate.

Is this a suitable weapon for whitetail?

I used a 6.5 Grendel to harvest an Axis buck and he didn't take but a couple of steps after the shot. This being the one and only deer that I have taken with the 6.5 makes me question, is it enough. Was my Axis a fluke?

Is there anyone on the GS that has used the Grendel whitetail?

Comment

Suitable? Definitely. Ideal? Eh.

Comment

Ask Sportsman (Rusty) and see what he has to say. Spoke with him yesterday and learned his son took a deer at over 300 yards with 6.5 G last weekend. That is, if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                            Ask Sportsman (Rusty) and see what he has to say. Spoke with him yesterday and learned his son took a deer at over 300 yards with 6.5 G last weekend. That is, if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                            What round is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              Suitable? Definitely. Ideal? Eh.
                              What would be ideal?

Comment

Working...
                              X