No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt around Chester. Plenty of does with fawns, no bucks. Watched a small 4 pt and spike last year, hoping they have gotten bigger for this year.
    Plenty of hogs and coons. Feeder has been up and running since middle of August. This weekend will be my first time to hunt. Rut should start kicking in soon I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
      Hunt around Chester. Plenty of does with fawns, no bucks. Watched a small 4 pt and spike last year, hoping they have gotten bigger for this year.
      Plenty of hogs and coons. Feeder has been up and running since middle of August. This weekend will be my first time to hunt. Rut should start kicking in soon I hope.
      I hunt between Chester and Corrigan. Good buck was killed Saturday that was looking and smelling pre rut. His glands were looking and smelling that way too. I'd say about 3 weeks out IMO

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion of high fence on this dear. There are some really impressive bucks in Polk and Trinity County.
        I've been hunting in Segno (Polk County) for about 12 years. If you see any of those bucks, send them our way!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Polk County Buck

Took this main frame 10 with kickers on Sunday evening between Barnes and Chester in Polk County. Just got back from taxidermist and he rough scores 161", 3 1/2 year old and has 16 scoreable points. Shot him at six yards. This deer was smelling rutty and hocks were getting dark. Deer are really healthy this year. GarGuy, thanks for your advice in the past!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey911 View Post
            Took this main frame 10 with kickers on Sunday evening between Barnes and Chester in Polk County. Just got back from taxidermist and he rough scores 161", 3 1/2 year old and has 16 scoreable points. Shot him at six yards. This deer was smelling rutty and hocks were getting dark. Deer are really healthy this year. GarGuy, thanks for your advice in the past!
            Great deer! Hard to believe he is only 3.5 though. Did you have any history with him or did the taxi just come up with that age based on his teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Great deer! Hard to believe he is only 3.5 though. Did you have any history with him or did the taxi just come up with that age based on his teeth?

Looks 4.5 to me. Aging by tooth wear is a thing of the past for me. Seen too many just flat wrong answers with pictures to back them up. Only way I do it now is send them and have them cut. It's about 85-90% accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice buck sir! My congratulations to you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                  I hunt between Chester and Corrigan. Good buck was killed Saturday that was looking and smelling pre rut. His glands were looking and smelling that way too. I'd say about 3 weeks out IMO
                  Dang! My place is in Barnum... right in the middle of the between Corrigan and Chester. Where abouts are you?

Comment

I've had him on camera the previous two seasons for sure. I know it is difficult to age a deer based on his teeth. It is possible he could be 4.5 years, but because of teeth wear, he wasn't as filled out in the brisket, and didn't have much of a pot belly. It is amazing what a little age will do for a deer. He really came on strong this season. This deer had an inch of fat layered on his back as well. I've got two other deer I have been watching, and I definitely would put them at 4.5. I am low fenced and do not feed protein. This is my biggest East Texas deer so far and more to come in the future hopefully!

Comment

Very nice!!! I looked at some land in Barnes before I bought in Barnum. Good looking stretch between 287 (Chester) and 942!(Barnes)!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                        Dang! My place is in Barnum... right in the middle of the between Corrigan and Chester. Where abouts are you?
                        I am off 1745, down Darden Rd. between Chester and Barnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                          Very nice!!! I looked at some land in Barnes before I bought in Barnum. Good looking stretch between 287 (Chester) and 942!(Barnes)!
                          We have had this place in my family well over 100 years. It is extremely thick and can't keep access to about 1/3 of it, because of the creeks washing out the crossings. We have close to 300 acres. This is where I started hunting as a kid. I stopped hunting there for about ten years and hunted the panhandle. There is such a challenge in hunting an East Texas deer, especially with a bow!

Comment

I really doubt he is 3.5 if he is scores 161 as well. All deer will look different. I might have a pot belly at the same age someone else looks lean and long. Can't always go with the brisket and pot belly as an indicator. Even at 4.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

AWESOME Buck. What advice did GarGuy give you? Because I want some of the same advice.

Comment

We have had this place in my family well over 100 years. It is extremely thick and can't keep access to about 1/3 of it, because of the creeks washing out the crossings. We have close to 300 acres. This is where I started hunting as a kid. I stopped hunting there for about ten years and hunted the panhandle. There is such a challenge in hunting an East Texas deer, especially with a bow!
                                Indeed. I believe it has been said and if you could harvest a mature East Texas buck with a bow you could harvest one anywhere. Great buck neighbor (we are not too far). My place is on Barnum Loop.
                                Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X