2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little late but time to get this East Texas campfire stirred up. From what I'm personally seeing and what I'm hearing from others, the deer are healthy and the bone has been growing at a record pace!

This will be a place for us East Texas hunters to chime in on what y'all are seeing, share trail cam pics, give tips and really just a place to shoot the bull.

Here we go and good luck this upcoming season! Let's make it one to remember.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm in. Hunt just outside of Palestine in Anderson County about 30 acres. Not alot of deer pics this summer, mostly pigs. Have 5 different doe, a 6, and 2 8's (one is on the list, I think he's 5.5). Past couple years I've had more show up around mid October. Lookig forward to the upcoming season.

Good luck to everyone.

Comment

I'll be holding down the fort in SE Nacanowhere. Hoping for a lovely season of big bucks and a mysterious swine disappearance.

Comment

We just finished our camera survey and numbers look good, probably better than last year.

We've been hammering the 8's (except for the 10 I got away with) and it's showing in our herd. Lots of 9+ in the gene pool.

Deer at cameras wasn't what I expected but with everything as green as it is (and all puddles full of water), corn is an afterthought.

Should be another great year for the herds and the antler development but I anticipate having similar issues as the last few years around feeders.

Time to get creative (again).

Comment

In. What's up fellas. Panola County. 215 Acres. New lease for us. Does not appear to have been hunted for awhile. Roads r grown up. No evidence of previous dwellers. Not gonna disturb it too much this year, maybe a feeder or 2, ground blind, 2 ladder stands. Just sneak in and hunt it to see what's cruising the creek bottoms. I feel a record breaker coming this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw a good deer a little bit ago at work. Was turning around at a gate and my lights hit this big boy. The pic is blurry and doesn't do him justice, he was a really good deer. I've been seeing a few nice ones already.

Comment

Had to take a break financially this year from leasing, but I'll hit up Big Sam a little, as well as traveling to the family farm in Austin Co when there aren't visitors using it. So I'm gonna be living vicariously through all of you fellas! I pray that it's a year to remember...the conditions sure do favor it being a good one

Comment

I'm in. Can't wait to read all the reports. I'm just starting on my fall food plots over in Leon county near Oakwood.

Are y'all seeing much in the way of acorns? I have one tree over my camp that's pretty thick in acorns but out in the field I'm not seeing much. I don't know if I just can't see them or if they aren't there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in. Sprayed fields yesterday in preparation for my fall good plots. Ready for some cool weather!
                  Put up feeder pens this summer to keep the hogs at bay. Hopefully they'll leave since they can't get to the corn anymore.

Comment

I am still hunting in Houston County between Grapeland and Elkhart. We are ate up with pigs worse than ever this year. We really haven't had many the last two seasons. I was late getting cameras out this year so I'm excited to check them for the second time next weekend. So far, the pic below maybe my target this season. He was a very nice 8 last year. He is 5 year old 9 this year. Hopefully the 6 year old super tall 10 survived last season and shows up soon on camera. If so, he will be my target...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Just read the last page of the 2016-17 thread. Glad to see we have the new one for this year.

74 ac in Pennington. New lease member txassisan (TBH) and I only. Looking forward to it. Done a lot of work on the camp house this past summer..

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        I am still hunting in Houston County between Grapeland and Elkhart. We are ate up with pigs worse than ever this year. We really haven't had many the last two seasons. I was late getting cameras out this year so I'm excited to check them for the second time next weekend. So far, the pic below maybe my target this season. He was a very nice 8 last year. He is 5 year old 9 this year. Hopefully the 6 year old super tall 10 survived last season and shows up soon on camera. If so, he will be my target...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

We're almost neighbors, good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just north of Palestine. Only have pics of does and hogs. Been feeding protein/corn all summer. Hoping for better pics.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                            Just read the last page of the 2016-17 thread. Glad to see we have the new one for this year.

74 ac in Pennington. New lease member txassisan (TBH) and I only. Looking forward to it. Done a lot of work on the camp house this past summer..
                            There are some good woods around Pennington. Maybe Im partial as I hunt pretty close to there ha

Comment

I'm in. Fawn crop looks real nice, lots of acorns and such a good summer with rain and mild temps. 5 years since the drought, there's going to be some studs show up and the cupboards are full of up and comers. Going to be a fun year regardless of all the acorns that are about to rain down lol

Comment

Working...
                              X