Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 and 2012 recruitment were both sub 10% north of Childress where I hunted.

Comment

2011 recruitment was pretty much zero in most of Collingsworth County, 2012 was better (maybe 15-20%), but still low. 2013 was back to normal. So there are plenty of 4 year olds running around, but 5 and 6 year olds are well below normal levels still.

Also, we have had a very dry summer up until a couple weeks ago. Lots and lots of cotton was plowed under, just didn't make it. But it has finally started raining now. We have got 4-5 good rains the last 10 days or so. Here in Wellington we got some last week, enough for me to plow getting ready to plant food plots. We got 1/2" the day after that, then 1.3" Sunday night, and then another good rain (not sure how much yet) last night. A lot of that rain hast been pretty widespread across the southern panhandle.

It is pretty early to plant fall plots, but I am tempted to go ahead. Really tempted. Concerned it will get too rank later on if I plant now though. If it was Sept 1rst instead of Aug 15th, I would roll with it.
      Last edited by Jethro; 08-15-2017, 07:23 AM.

Comment

2011..Thanks for keeping me straight, Jeff.

This buck has been around a while, he's got me figured out.

First to drop, last to finish.
        He drops his antlers around Christmas.
        Losing that left eye, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24506702

Name:	2310.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	24506706

Name:	2289.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	24506707

Name:	2422.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	24506705

Name:	2441.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24506703

Name:	2435.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24506704

Name:	2284.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	24506708

Name:	2281.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24506709

Maybe the rains help him finish strong.
        Anybody care to take a guess on score?

Comment

Last two.

Name:	2345.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24506715

Name:	2348.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	24506716

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
            2011..Thanks for keeping me straight, Jeff.

This buck has been around a while, he's got me figured out.

First to drop, last to finish.
            He drops his antlers around Christmas.
            Losing that left eye, too.

[ATTACH]868284[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868289[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868287[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868285[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868290[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]868291[/ATTACH]

Maybe the rains help him finish strong.
            Anybody care to take a guess on score?
            I say he will finish out around 143-145

Comment

No guess on where he will finish, but he is looking good. I think time for you to ground check him this year.

I'm gonna have to get some cameras out soon. May see about getting some out on Friday. IDK, need to go call some coyotes and shoot some steel too. Maybe I can work it all in.

Should start seeing some pretty good bucks again this year, a lot of them were still a bit young last year. Next year should be really good. I was chasing a good one last year north of the river, but in all honesty he really probably needed one more year. He made it through season though so I will really be gunning for him this year. Anxious to see what he looks like now.

Comment

We worked on our food plot today. I had some black eye peas planted in the two rows of milo. They didn't do well so we fertilized, plowed it up and planted radishes in place of the peas. Oats and turnips will be planted in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang how many acres you got there? In food plots that is.

You may have so many deer over there that the peas got killed early by deer. Or maybe that hot, dry July plus deer?

I put trailcams out sometime last week.

Comment

Looking forward to another great year in the panhandle. The rains last week filled up all of the tanks and should have put some great moisture in the ground for the wheat.

Comment

I was hoping we'd get some weekend reports. Looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                        Dang how many acres you got there? In food plots that is.

You may have so many deer over there that the peas got killed early by deer. Or maybe that hot, dry July plus deer?

I put trailcams out sometime last week.
                        It's about 3 acres. The heat and deer got them first and then the bine weed took over after it started raining. I wanted to leave them but I was out voted. Lol
                        We sprayed the bine weed a few days ago. That stuff is hard to kill!

Comment

Yeah, funny thing, deer actually eat bind weed. Probably don't like it as much as peas though.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                            Yeah, funny thing, deer actually eat bind weed. Probably don't like it as much as peas though.
                            They love bind weed but they love milo more! We sprayed the whole patch because it's taking over and it dies with a hard frost anyway.

Comment

Milo make em good and fat too

Comment

Running a camera now and just planted a small plot with oats, sugar beets and clover. Glyph'd the planting area and road waited 2 weeks then hand broadcasted seed along with triple thirteen. I then weedeated the dead stuff on top of the seed for a good layer of thatch on top. My place is a small pasture adjacent to a large winter wheat field. Coincidentally the day I threw seed the large field next to me was being planted with the wheat. Now just waiting for the rain this weekend to do the rest. I do not have a tractor so hand tools only method was used. Will post results if any. Wheeler / Gray County area.

Comment

Working...
                                X