Official Outdoor Griddle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
    The seasoning process on BS website is spot on.

Here's what I did
    1. Clean real good with soap and scrub pad to get oil off. Rinse well and dry
    2. Heat up griddle and coat with flax seed oil. Thin layer, no puddles as that will cause bubbles.
    3. Heat until its smoking and do not turn off until it stops smoking. This is crystalizing the oil and bonding it to the metal.
    4. Once it stops smoking turn off and let cool.
    5. Repeat this 3-4x
    6. Cook bacon. Lots of bacon

Once this is done cleaning after cooking is simple. Wipe off food, some may have to use a scraper to get off but it comes off easy. Wipe down with EVOO and cover. If I'm not going to use for a bit I will put a layer of saran wrap on the flat top to keep moisture off. No rust yet.

Join the Blackstone griddle owners page on FB.

I bought mine a couple weeks ago and love it.

I will say this, the hole in the end of the grease slot is in a weird spot and the grease will run out and back under and miss the tray. They make an extender or I just added a piece of foil to mine to extend it a little.

Great stuff here^^^^. Thanks for sharing. I will check out the FB page also

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
      Any idea what the pin and spring is for?
      Pins the legs in place when(if) you fold it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
        Pins the legs in place when(if) you fold it up.

Gotcha!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Great stuff here^^^^. Thanks for sharing. I will check out the FB page also
          NP. The flax seed oil will give you the best, slickest surface. It is the recommended oil from BS

Comment

I love cooking on mine. Easiest clean up of any cooking surface... When I am done, I have a clean bucket of water and a clean towel/cloth...I place the towel in the water and le the excess run onto the hot surface. Fold the towel and use tongs to go over the entire surface until clean. When cool, cover and turn off gas. Wait until next opportunity to do it again. The more you use it the cleaner/easier/tastier it gets.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm about to get one, too.

Comment

I will say this too, check local Walmart because they are starting to clearance outdoor cooking stuff. A guy went to his local WM and the display model had a rusted top(no big deal really) and got $150 knocked off of it.

Comment

We have the same one a the deer camp. The easiest way I have found is to fry bacon on it. First few times I washed it with hot water in the outside sink. Now I just scrape it with a metal spatula and wipe it down. I cover it with a trash bag and put it in the cabin when we are gone. Seems to be the best way I have found to keep it clean and free of rust.

what is that greasy lookin goodness on that griddle!!??

Comment

Best seasoning I can think of is BACON, BACON, BACON... But a close second is Grilled onions/mushrooms with some olive oil and Worcestershire sauce... To clean, like others have said, scrape clean, and if REALLY dirty, a generous dousing of potable water and a rubdown with a clean rag... Last, if it's not likely to be used for a while (week/month or so), wipe down with a clean low lint rag saturated in extra virgin olive oil...

I don't like grease/Crisco/lard/butter because after a bit, it starts to have that "old" or "spoiled" smell. Been seasoning my cast iron cookware for 30 years with olive oil or peanut oil and both work well though the peanut oil will get sticky/tacky after a bit. I've been using a big cast iron griddle on my outdoor grill for years...

I don't have one of these fancy griddles, but I think I'm going to get me one. Seems to be a lot more versatile than just a grill... no flame flare ups, more even cooking, what's not to like?! These things are a natural for breakfast foods too! Guess there's good reason so many short order/ cafe' style places have a big griddle...

Comment

I use the FireDisc and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have the same one a the deer camp. The easiest way I have found is to fry bacon on it. First few times I washed it with hot water in the outside sink. Now I just scrape it with a metal spatula and wipe it down. I cover it with a trash bag and put it in the cabin when we are gone. Seems to be the best way I have found to keep it clean and free of rust.

You can even stand next to it, drink your cold beer and sample the cooking when no one's looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          what is that greasy lookin goodness on that griddle!!??

Cabbage

Comment

Is the 36" worth the extra $100 over the 28"?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                              Yes. I debated on the 28 as well but after getting the 36 Im glad I did. Works real good to slide cooked food over to keep warm while something else is cooking. I dont think I would have been happy with the 28. For how I use it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post

I paid $263 on Amazon for my 36".

Comment

Working...
                                X