Official Outdoor Griddle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading several threads, and recommendations, I decided to purchase a 36" four burner Blackstone griddle. I assembled it last night. Now I'm looking for advice on initial seasoning, maintenance, any tips you (seasoned) griddle veterans can offer. I'm wanting to do this right so it will be around to enjoy for many years to come. I plan to take the griddle on a camping trip this weekend. I also purchased a cover for mine as I plan to keep it outdoors.

1. Initially seasoning a brand new griddle
    2. What to do between uses to prevent rust
    3. How to prep the griddle for storage
    4. Recipes for the griddle
    5. Do and don't from those who have done it

Any advice, comments, suggestions, pics, foods that are great on the griddle, etc.

Mine ^^^^^^

what y'all got? Post 'em up
    Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-27-2024, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Following this!!!

Comment

Our Products are Made of Solid Rolled Steel & Were Created to be Versatile and Durable. Outdoor Cooking Without the Compromise. Tackle Any Great Outdoor Event with the Blackstone family of Griddles & Cookware. Free Shipping. Full Cookout Experience. Replacement parts.

quick google search

I really want one of these!!

Comment

In...

Comment

As stated in one of the previous posts on the other griddle threads,

We use crisco to season and maintain our griddle.
            First thing we did was clean it to get the factory oil off the surface, add some crisco and heat that baby up. We cooked some fatty foods on it the first couple times, bacon, porkchops, sausage, stuff like that to get some flavor built up.

When we are finished, i scrape the leftovers into the oil catch tray and spread some crisco on the surface letting it melt. Once everything cools and the oil starts to harden, i lay paper towels over it to keep dust and debris from settling on the cooktop. Then once it is fully cool, place our cover over it for storage. Even with the cover on, it still manages to get debris on the cook surface.

We tried using pam, or olive oil on the surface, but over a couple weeks, it seems to evaporate or soak in too much to the point that the surface starts to get sticky, then dry out and get surface rust. Crisco has solved those problems.

Comment

following

Comment

just ordered mine.... amazon has 2 burner on sale for $154

Comment

The seasoning process on BS website is spot on.

Here's what I did
                  1. Clean real good with soap and scrub pad to get oil off. Rinse well and dry
                  2. Heat up griddle and coat with flax seed oil. Thin layer, no puddles as that will cause bubbles.
                  3. Heat until its smoking and do not turn off until it stops smoking. This is crystalizing the oil and bonding it to the metal.
                  4. Once it stops smoking turn off and let cool.
                  5. Repeat this 3-4x
                  6. Cook bacon. Lots of bacon

Once this is done cleaning after cooking is simple. Wipe off food, some may have to use a scraper to get off but it comes off easy. Wipe down with EVOO and cover. If I'm not going to use for a bit I will put a layer of saran wrap on the flat top to keep moisture off. No rust yet.

Join the Blackstone griddle owners page on FB.

I bought mine a couple weeks ago and love it.

I will say this, the hole in the end of the grease slot is in a weird spot and the grease will run out and back under and miss the tray. They make an extender or I just added a piece of foil to mine to extend it a little.

Comment

Can one of these pretty much replace everything you would do on a gas grill?

Comment

My kiddo loves to cook too. Dinner Saturday night and then breakfast Sunday morning. You can see the foil piece that I'm talking about for the grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                        Can one of these pretty much replace everything you would do on a gas grill?
                        I would say yes pretty much.

Comment

Been thinking about it..... In for more info.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

We have the same one a the deer camp. The easiest way I have found is to fry bacon on it. First few times I washed it with hot water in the outside sink. Now I just scrape it with a metal spatula and wipe it down. I cover it with a trash bag and put it in the cabin when we are gone. Seems to be the best way I have found to keep it clean and free of rust.

Last edited by Stolle; 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Any idea what the pin and spring is for?

Comment

Working...
                              X