Missed my first trad deer today. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed my first trad deer today. :(

With my wife and daughter out of town for a while I figured I'd go out and see if I could bring home a deer for them when they come home. I got out to the stand, actually a spot within a very small set of Elm trees where I can stand, and threw some corn out where I've had them eating for a while since the acorns stopped falling. I was there maybe 20 minutes and had a fawn that I've seen come out and do some eating. No wind to speak of and since she/he was there I figured I was good. A few minutes later a doe walks out, I'm guessing 2 years old and still in her prime so she gets a pass. Next is a much heavier doe that I've seen without a fawn for the last two years. She's the one. I ease up and go to full draw but the anchor(s) just don't feel right. I probably could have made the 15 yard shot but it didn't feel good. So I let down and did what I do when this happens while out at my practice area. I took a long breath through my nose to calm down and she blew. She snorted so loud it startled me and off she went with her tail in the air. To make matters worse this buck I've been watching grow for three years from a nice 7 point to a respectable 8 up too a very nice 8 ran out right behind her. I never even knew he was there. So there I stand looking over a bunch of corn and no deer and I realized that shooting at targets in the back yard is NOTHING like setting up to shoot at a deer. I was surprised to see that my hands were shaking. Humility is the only word that comes to mind.

Richard.
    Last edited by Junkers88; 12-09-2016, 05:38 PM.

If you are going to stick with trad, get used to missing every once in a while, but really since you never shot an arrow, you did not miss a deer! Maybe an opportunity, but not a der!

Better luck next time!

Bisch

Comment

That stinks. Were you thinking too much about it? I found myself doing this.

Comment

Junker you and I are as far opposite as two fellows can get.
        If I had not killed a deer yet this year, I would not have spooked the big doe.

I would have already shot the fawn

better luck next time

Comment

In case you thought I was joking
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342215234_340839.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24474762

Comment

Mmmm . . . tender.

Comment

BUFF that's great. It's good to know about seasoned vetrans still taking meat.
              Junkers, in case you missed part of my hog recap. I missed a VERY nice buck at 12 yards just a little before. I haven't lots of deer with the trad bows, but I have been blessed that I have shot some really big bucks in my time, and a few decent one's with the wheel bow.
              This is just part of the excitement with the trad bow, and yeah, A LOT different then shooting foam/paper. Welcome to the enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                BUFF that's great. It's good to know about seasoned vetrans still taking meat.
                Junkers, in case you missed part of my hog recap. I missed a VERY nice buck at 12 yards just a little before. I haven't lots of deer with the trad bows, but I have been blessed that I have shot some really big bucks in my time, and a few decent one's with the wheel bow.
                This is just part of the excitement with the trad bow, and yeah, A LOT different then shooting foam/paper. Welcome to the enjoyment.

More like... old fart that is subject to shoot anything that gets close to him

Comment

Sad part is it's not much smaller than the year and a half old doe I killed the other night because the boss said to kill doe. But they make great little wrap them up roasts.

Comment

Buff, I passed on one about that size tonight. If I see it again tomorrow I will follow your example. I would have been excited to kill her but I knew I would get dogged for it. You just gave me the only excuse I needed. I like it.

Comment

The little ones are harder to hit

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        [ATTACH]829765[/ATTACH]
                        Did you get a pass through with that 200lb bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          [ATTACH]829765[/ATTACH]
                          Duiker?

Comment

Hang in there Richard, your time will come.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                              Duiker?
                              Stienbuck

Comment

Working...
                              X