Teacher Pay raises, Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I don't disagree, BUT, I went to school with turds who had turds for parents. They were made to act right and were disciplined at school. There was a standard that was expected at school and the leadership and the willingness to whip a kid's *** kept things in check. Taking discipline out of the school's hands is a much bigger issue that teacher pay.
    I agree with you as far as the discipline in schools began suffering when the board was taken out of schools. When I started teaching, we could still use the board and we had much fewer problems. We are now on the second generation of kids who don't respect discipline. Its only going to continue to get worse.

We have way to much special treatment and laws for kids who dont know how to act. Fear of litigation from parents has created the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Yep. Funny how opinions on this topic vary from those with actual experience and those with just an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yup, posters that don’t teach or coach, telling teachers and coaches how many hours they work a week is humorous.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
        Here is one for coaches:

During football season not counting playoffs
        16 weeks of football avg 14 hrs/day 7 days a week. 98 hrs/week
        16x98=1568 hrs

JH basketball season
        8 weeks 55hrs/week 11hrs/day 5 days a week
        8x55=440 hours

Baseball season not counting playoffs
        13 weeks 68 hours/week 12 hrs/day 5 days + 8 hrs on Saturday
        13x68=884 hrs

Ahh yes finally no sports
        4 weeks of school left
        40 hrs

Summer break YES!! Wait I still do workouts 4 hrs/ day 4 days a week
        10 weeks x 16hrs = 160 hrs

We do get 1 week away during Christmas.

1568+440+884+40+160= 3092 hours/year
        16+8+13+4+10+1=52 Weeks

40x52=2080 hours/year
        You weren’t forced to be a Coach, you picked that career path. You also get paid more than a regular Teacher. I know a few Coaches that get paid very well. Sorry I have no sympathy for you. That’s the path you picked. The problem is the School Districts mismanagement of funds. I pay way to much in taxes to my school district, just to see them waste it on things not needed.
        If your not happy being a a Teacher then change careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          Something to think about on merit pay for teachers.

No matter how bright or the opposite direction a student is, a teacher can only do so much. We cannot force these kids to do their work, take work home and return it done and most teachers cannot get parents help in getting their kids to do the work.

With the merit based pay, some teachers will be left out because they work their butts off trying to get these kids to do things an to get them educated and ready to move up to no avail while other teachers that do not really care about the kids (far too many of these) get the kids that do well and they get the pay raises. Not really fair in that aspect. I see this in my school on a daily basis.
          Yep! My ex was a teacher at a low income school for about 5 years. She had parents flat out tell her not to bother them and that while they were at school they were her problem. This went for both discipline and grades. Very few of those kids had a chance due to home life and you could take the best teacher in the world and they wouldn't make a difference.

She then moved to a much higher income school. She didn't do anything different but magically the kids results were higher at the new school. I know for a fact she didn't become a better teacher but under merit based raises she wouldn't have gotten squat at the first school and gotten a raise every year at the new one.

And for the record, I'm all for the raise. But, it shouldn't come at the expense of the taxpayers it should come at the expense of a better balanced budget with less waste as others have stated.
          Last edited by cehorn; 04-04-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I was listening to a guy I grew up with talk about this. He is a teacher/coach, his dad was a HS principle for 20yrs or more, his mom was a teacher and both parents are retired educators. He was saying that the idea is awesome, but it could affect local taxes, teaching staff numbers and school programs. If it is mandated across the board and state funding doesn't cover it then schools and local taxes could have to cover it. That could lead to cutting programs in the schools and possible cuts to staff, so they free up enough funds to cover the $5k per teacher per year. It can be a total double-edged sword. I agree teachers deserve more than they get and what our state has done to their benefits is a pathetic disgrace. That said 2 months off in the summer, a week for spring break, 2 weeks or so at Christmas as well as the other long weekends and most offer 5-10 days paid leave during the school year is definitely a perk. It is a perk which is the same with some local, state, and federal government employees. Their pay kinda sucks and benefits are not the best but the available leave they are given is a perk. That doesn't mean teachers actually get those days off because they will have to catch up from prior weeks and prepare for upcoming weeks, events, decorate, supply themselves and rooms and students. Then there is summer school that some teach through as well. If anyone on here grew up or has lived in a small town you know that teachers do A CRAP TON. They have to work concession stands at sport events, chaperon events, take kids on trips games/competitions and work more than an 8 hr day on MANY occasions. Then you look at pta meetings, board meetings, trainings and conferences. Coaches, drama teachers, ag teachers etc people that teach programs that are extracurricular work a hell of a lot more than 40hrs a week and for scraps looking at their pay. That and they put up with all the behavioral, economic and social problems that come with the kids. A lot of ISDs are so worried about a law suit the kids are never punished and teachers are thrown under the bus and have no back up. Some are assaulted in multiple ways on a weekly basis and they are asked to produce presidential scholars out of hatful criminals. I have always known teachers to buy tons of stuff out of their own pocket as well. Maybe if each teacher was given an allotment or more of one for extra supplies décor etc.. that would be great as well as strengthening benefits and retirement and providing with more support from the ISDs.
            Just looking at 2 months off in the summer NOT counting during the year days off like long weekends, spring break, and Christmas break, and 5-10 days paid leave during the school year on top of that so roughly 25-30 days off during the school year. So just considering 2 months summer vacation and say a 9 hour work day 45 hour work week for 43 weeks a year counting it as a wash with all other days off at a $35,000 year salary. That is $18/hr if you break it down and $23.25/hr at a $45,000 salary. Some people see that as not to bad if you look at it across the board as double, triple or quadruple minimum wage. Which I think is crap because the people that we as a country are trusting with the education of our future and troubles of our society and youth should get more than that! With that it probably wouldn’t hurt if teaching certificates and degree plans were held to higher standards to be able to obtain. NOT all but definitely a LOT of people I went to college with, grew up with and know that are teachers and coaches now, there is no way in hell I would want to teach my kids if I had any or my friend/family members kids. There are also some I would give anything to have teaching my kids if I had any or my friend/family members kids. That falls in line with you get what you give and crappy salaries and benefits are not going always attract the best and brightest employees. There is lots of reform that needs to happen within the realms of this topic as well as society as whole stepping up to the plate which will not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Maybe teachers could get a 2nd job while their off for 3 months in the summer. Maybe hit a T/A or two.
              *they're

Maybe you should have listened more in language arts class when your teacher was teaching about homophones. According to most on here, that would not be cause for a teacher receiving a raise, because he/she did not teach this person to use the correct term. I guess that teacher is a failure.

Some of the responses on here, by those who know nothing about what they are talking about, really **** me off.

Obviously, I am for the raise and I am for the raise across the board, for all the employees except the administration. But I am a realist and I have said it from day one when this "raise" topic came up. I already make more than the state base, so I am not going to see any of the $5k or the $1850 that the House approved today. The raise will go toward state base salary and most districts already pay above that scale. But I do think that it is deserved and should not be based on T-TESS evaluations, STAAR scores, graduation rate, or any other DA thing that some people think it should be based on. The pay rate for teachers should just be higher. Period. We are worth way more than what we are paid and with all the stuff that we deal with, day in and day out. I spend more time with your bratty kid on a daily basis than you do. I also get to spend more time with some respectful, ambitious students as well, and that is what keeps me from handing over my keys and being done with it all, no matter how many times that **** of a kid tells me he is going to whip my ***. I love teaching and coaching and I am going to keep on doing it, regardless if I get a raise or not. The raise is nice, but not the reason that I do what I do. Remember that the next time you want to have a parent meeting about playing time, a teacher writing a referral for your kid cussing them out, or you just feel the need to dog cuss any teacher in front of your kid because "you could do it better".

And I am glad these types of threads are started. Especially when a lot on here have sent me messages about our Fredericksburg deer lease that is available. It gives me the chance to weed out those people and see some for their true colors, which is in complete contrast to the PM that you sent me.
              Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 04-04-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

So, Senate's plan is to give teachers and librarians $5000 raise. House passed their plan last night and it calls for an average of $1850 for all school employees except administrators. I'm guess they will meet in the middle and give teacher about $3000 and non-certified personnel (aides) about $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  I do not believe that.
                  I guarantee that I do. Come borrow my keys for ONE week!

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                    For any who say no, I'd say go get yourself a substitute teacher license and give it a try.

This is a job I wish everybody could try for at least a day or two..
                    And no to this too. I was smart enough to know that field will not get me to the level of living I want to do. Still wont. So no.

Comment

They were offered way below the 5 Gs, like 1,850.00 as of yesterday. School Districts are still fighting that they want to distribute the money to the teachers as they see fit. No bueno, they will suk it up and give them crap as it has been proved in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                        So, Senate's plan is to give teachers and librarians $5000 raise. House passed their plan last night and it calls for an average of $1850 for all school employees except administrators. I'm guess they will meet in the middle and give teacher about $3000 and non-certified personnel (aides) about $1500.
                        Probably pretty close. But they will apply it to the state base. A handful of teachers will get raises but the majority will not. Politicians will claim they supported teachers and gave the biggest raise in 20 years. And it won't cost much at all because very few will actually see an increase in pay.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          You're omitting the days off during the school year. You're omitting weekends. If you're gonna compare the job to any other job you have to consider the fact that most people don't have Christmas break, Spring break, Columbus Day, MLK Day, and any other assortment of off days...and many work weekends too. I was educated by good teachers that taught me math....don't make me prove you wrong by using it.
                          Most people, in any job, get holidays off. Most people get weekends off. If not, they get a couple of days off during the week. And a lot of school districts do not have an MLK holiday, a Columbus Day holiday, President's Day, and any of these other holidays that a lot of other careers are allowed to have off. If you want a Christmas break or spring break, maybe you should come be a teacher. You can borrow my keys as well. I hear all the people talking about "They knew what they signed up for", "It was their choice to be a teacher", "They already get enough days off and 3 months in the summer", "blah, blah, blah". Well, hell, let's turn that around. If you wanted Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, spring break, and 3 months off in the summer, then you should have signed up for it. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you took your job. That was your choice, so dont get mad when you dont get those days off work.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                            Most people, in any job, get holidays off. Most people get weekends off. If not, they get a couple of days off during the week. And a lot of school districts do not have an MLK holiday, a Columbus Day holiday, President's Day, and any of these other holidays that a lot of other careers are allowed to have off. If you want a Christmas break or spring break, maybe you should come be a teacher. You can borrow my keys as well. I hear all the people talking about "They knew what they signed up for", "It was their choice to be a teacher", "They already get enough days off and 3 months in the summer", "blah, blah, blah". Well, hell, let's turn that around. If you wanted Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, spring break, and 3 months off in the summer, then you should have signed up for it. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you took your job. That was your choice, so dont get mad when you dont get those days off work.

Nobody is mad about anything. I love my career. I chose it. I excel at it. Some years I make great money. Some years I’ve actually lost money. I’ve never got on the internet and whined about a path I chose. I know the sacrifices of coaches. My best friend just retired after a long coaching career. I just never heard him **** and moan about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              I do not believe that.
                              My wife (and the rest of her school) work 12-14 hours a day (majority 12). And between 4 and 6 hours on Saturdays after January. This doesn't include the time they have to make curriculum plans on their off time. I know "i'm biased", I was of the same opinion as you prior to seeing what a teacher goes through.

data to back that up.... on average, the private sector professional works 235 days a year at 8 hours a day... this comes out to 1880 hours of work a year. A teacher works an average of 185 days a year and lets say 10 hours a day (because I know you won't agree with my 12-14 a day). This comes out to 1850 a year... if you go by 12...2220 if you go by 16...2960 and this isn't including the weekend days either...

Comment

Yes! My wife is a middle school teacher, tennis coach, and SPED teacher. The insurance sucks, pay sucks, but she loves her job more than anything. Truly cares about every child who comes through her door. A typical day she is at school by 7:15am and leaves at 6:00 pm. I carry the family on my insurance which is very good and carries for life (both of us) after retirement. Thank God!

Comment

Working...
                                X