No announcement yet.

Spring food plot thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubled up the size of irrigated clover plots this weekend and put out an 800lb protein feeder. Also started clearing for the 8-10 acre irrigated spring plot. Gonna put this one right next to the lake and irrigate while we drink beer. Trips with the water totes get pretty tiring! here are pics of the clover plots from yesterday, pic of expansion, and a shed I found. Fun trip and got to take my daughter.

Comment

That'll work! Looks great.

Comment

Your daughter wins the prize for best photo

Comment

Thank you, she is a ham! I was hoping to find this guys sheds. He broke his main beam after rifle season, so I know he is still hitting the plot.

Comment

I have two plots that I will be planting this spring. The first plot is located near my house. It is a small field, only about an acre, but I have successfully grown some nice summer plots here in the past. This year I am going to experiment with a corn/cowpea mix in about half the plot, and a buckwheat/soybean mix on the other half. I know it is going to be difficult to pull off the corn in such a small field but I have always wanted to try it. With this plot being so close to my house I am hoping I will be able to babysit it enough to make it work.

For the second plot I will be planting a cowpea/soybean/sunflower mix. This field is about 3 acres and I will be drilling this mix into an existing oat/rye plot. This field has not been planted during the spring for close to 10 years and I am expecting it to draw in a lot of deer. I am really excited about this plot because there were several really nice bucks using it this past fall.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
              I have two plots that I will be planting this spring. The first plot is located near my house. It is a small field, only about an acre, but I have successfully grown some nice summer plots here in the past. This year I am going to experiment with a corn/cowpea mix in about half the plot, and a buckwheat/soybean mix on the other half. I know it is going to be difficult to pull off the corn in such a small field but I have always wanted to try it. With this plot being so close to my house I am hoping I will be able to babysit it enough to make it work.

For the second plot I will be planting a cowpea/soybean/sunflower mix. This field is about 3 acres and I will be drilling this mix into an existing oat/rye plot. This field has not been planted during the spring for close to 10 years and I am expecting it to draw in a lot of deer. I am really excited about this plot because there were several really nice bucks using it this past fall.
              Good stuff! Are you gonna terminate the oats/rye and then roll or mow it...and then drill it? Curious about your planting technique into the existing plot.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                Good stuff! Are you gonna terminate the oats/rye and then roll or mow it...and then drill it? Curious about your planting technique into the existing plot.
                Yes. I will be spraying it with Eraser and then mow it before planting.

Comment

Plot size

Originally posted by EastTx View Post

Looks great, I have to get me winter plots up to at least this big, my deer are keeping them mowed down!!

Comment

Little man in training

Getting some work done this week with the little man in training. Plots have finally outpaced the consumption and clover/wheat/oats looking good. Also clearing spring irrigated plots.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24436507

Comment

Comment

Good looking plots.

Comment

Plots are looking pretty decent up here. Things are just starting to green up and the deer are really using the food plots.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Clover looks good this year. It never died off much last year so hopefully this summer won't get too hot either.
                            Attached Files

Comment

My boss wanted to plant alfalfa, 12 acres is drilled in and waiting for some rain. Along with 20 acres of native prairie grass. Should be an interesting next couple of months watching to see how these do.

Comment

It's getting closer to spring planting dates. Rite now deer are feeding on all the new native spring growth along with the clover that is now 6 to 12 " tall and thick. Deer are Feeding on some of the Awnless forage winter wheat planted last fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X