No announcement yet.

Big spike buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations man. Gonna be great eating.

Don't let all of the professional hunters on here get you down. None of them have ever killed a spike or a fork horn under any circumstances I'm sure.

Heaven forbid a guy kills a spike in Texas. I figure we will run out any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post

Don't let all of the professional hunters on here get you down. None of them have ever killed a spike or a fork horn under any circumstances I'm sure.

Heaven forbid a guy kills a spike in Texas. I figure we will run out any day now.
      Right!!! All they kill are 150 and above.......no time for the small stuff!!

Congrats on your kill!!

Comment

Congrats on the buck

Comment

He's Not a spike. Good backstraps though.

Comment

No ill intent meant. Just had enough with the bad information out there that spikes are inferior for their entire lives. Actually, they're just inferior for a short time. If one person learns spikes aren't always inferior from this thread. Mission accomplished.

I'm just happy that's not my land neighbor managing shooting spikes and non-mature deer. Only way to shoot mature deer is to let them grow old enough.

Comment

Originally posted by czechaholic View Post
              Right!!! All they kill are 150 and above.......no time for the small stuff!!

Congrats on your kill!!
              It's not an issue of "small" stuff. It's an issue of "young" stuff. Let your bucks grow. If you want meat, take a doe.

You'll never kill 150+ shooting all your spikes and deer under 4.5. Funny side effect of letting those deer walk is that you all of sudden are harvesting 150+'' bucks. Weird how that works...

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                No ill intent meant. Just had enough with the bad information out there that spikes are inferior for their entire lives. Actually, they're just inferior for a short time. If one person learns spikes aren't always inferior from this thread. Mission accomplished.

I'm just happy that's not my land neighbor managing shooting spikes and non-mature deer. Only way to shoot mature deer is to let them grow old enough.
                He may be happy he isn't your neighbor either.
                So all spike deer eventually become trophies if you give them enough time? Or do some of them never reach that status only to be shot as a cull (after they have bred a few doe)?

Comment

It's good eating and target practice but NOT good for the herd IMO.

I wish my neighbors would quit killin them. This past weekend they killed a yearling spike, to them it's just another tag in an AR county.

Comment

He may be happy he isn't your neighbor either.
                    So all spike deer eventually become trophies if you give them enough time? Or do some of them never reach that status only to be shot as a cull (after they have bred a few doe)?
                    All I'm saying is that a spike has the exact same chance as a 4 or 6 point it's same age to become a trophy when given enough time. Some of them never reach that status and get taken as management bucks, exactly like 4 and 6 points do from time to time. There is no absolute, well actually there is one. I can guarantee they never become trophies when you shoot them at 1.5YO.

Comment

Congrats on your harvests. Hope you and your family enjoy the wonderful venison!
                      Don't get too hung up on the comments from the critics and geniuses...keep enjoying the outdoors. Good luck

Comment

It would be different if the OP didn't mention trying to benefit his herd…

He is obviously some what management minded, if those were his intentions. If this is the case, then it is only right of the guys you labeled "professional hunters" (which is completely incorrect in itself) to explain why he is most likely doing more damage than good to his herd by shooting deer like that.

All that said, I have shot spikes

Congrats on meat in the freezer OP!!

Comment

I hope it wasnt in an AR county. If all the other deer his age are 8pts, it might not be a problem.

They used to shoot all the spikes on my old MLD lease near Evant and then for some reason it was hard to even see a deer.

Comment

Actually, from a legal standpoint, that IS a spike. Just saying..........

Comment

Originally posted by Bear82 View Post
                              I hope it wasnt in an AR county. If all the other deer his age are 8pts, it might not be a problem.

They used to shoot all the spikes on my old MLD lease near Evant and then for some reason it was hard to even see a deer.
                              That's typically the fate of most places that manage their herd this way. Then, they wonder what happened.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken a point has to be an inch. so in that scenerio I see a spike.

Congrats on a successful groceries store run.

Not all deer and spikes survive the winter. I believe if you thin the heards it increases the likely hood that other deer will survive and be more healthy than if you did nothing at all.
                                Last edited by kikn; 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X