Pit Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Blind

I have been wanting to build a pit/coffin blind for a long while now and finally got one together, pretty much using scraps we had around the house. I built it out of old tin from a barn we tore down with a 2 x 2 frame. I built it 4' wide, 6' deep, and 5' tall. Buried it 2' deep so it is only 3' above ground. Caulked it up real well to keep out as many critters as possible. I am a little worried about it being really hot but will add 3/4" foam insulation if needed. I really like the setup and can not wait to hunt out of this thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	24896238

Name:	PB2.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24896239

Name:	PB3.jpg
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24896240

Name:	PB4.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	24896241

Name:	PB5.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	24896242

Name:	PB6.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	24896243

Name:	PB7.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	24896244
    Last edited by BIG D; 04-17-2012, 11:23 AM.

Very cool.

Comment

Looks cool and fun to hunt out of, but with the risk of sounding like a smart arse and not intending to, why not just throw up a pop up blind right there? What is the benefit of the pit blind?

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
          Looks cool and fun to hunt out of, but with the risk of sounding like a smart arse and not intending to, why not just throw up a pop up blind right there? What is the benefit of the pit blind?
          To me, the benifits are it is there 365 days a year so the deer are used to seeing it. I like the fact of being below the line of sight of the deer as well as being "in the ground" so to speak will surely help muffle any noise and scent containment should be better than a pop up. I have been hunting out of permanent box bow blinds and pop ups for several years and while I still hunt out of both, I like the permanent type more and the point for view out of one that is buried is really neat.

Comment

You do have some good points-especially with scent control. Again, looks cool and fun to hunt out of.

Comment

That is cool!

Comment

I'm working on a pit blind project as well!

Comment

Originally posted by MQ1 Southpaw View Post
                  I'm working on a pit blind project as well!
                  We built two as cheap as we could just to see if we would like them. Mine was out of old tin and the other guy built his out of scrap lumber. I was happy to have a machine at the ranch to dig the holes......

Comment

Nice

I like the "scraps we had around the house" approach too.

Makes it even cooler.

Comment

How do you guys keep the water out of these type blinds?

Comment

Was looking to see it along a waterway or private pond for waterfowl hunting

You'll have to keep us up-to-date on through this deer season.

Neat project!

Comment

I hunt out of one ,the deer like it because they can see over the top of it. It also holds your scent down. Have to get use to shooting up hill. Deer look hudge from that view.But all andall i like it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
                            How do you guys keep the water out of these type blinds?
                            I am sure if it rains enough, it will be muddy in the bottom but the spots we put them were in well drained areas and when we backfilled, we were sure to slope the dirt away from the blinds. I have heard some people say they had a problem with water in them and have had others say if you have an overhang on the roof, where the water doesnt run right down the side of the blind, you will be ok. I say let it keep raining and we will find out

Comment

Looks great!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X