Harvesting On Public Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvesting On Public Land

Question To The Masses.....when U Harvest An Animal On Public Land Where Do You Field Dress It?

Where it drops. I don't want to drag more weight than I have to.

But I just kill them, maybe it's different for harvesting

Comment

after I kill one, i field dress it where it lays.

Comment

I have done it where they drop and I always drag em out now. Gets too much trash in the cavity while dragging. Just nut up and throw em over your shoulder and get going Seriously no easy way to get them out and it is way worse if it is real wet. I use a game cart if it is dry with some decent trails. I also use a game hoist for the field dressing, skinning and quatering. Sure nice after a long drag and you have nothing left in the tank to get it in the truck. The gut pile will be gone by the next day in most areas. Hogs and yotes need to eat too.

Comment

I drag away from my hunting spot so as to not give away my spot and also spook the other deer...dress in the open field 150-200 yards away at least

Comment

The Reason I Was Asking Is That I'm About To Start Hunting In An Area Where They Have Told Me Absolutely No Field Dressing The Animal On Public Land. I'll Probably Use The Old Sss Theory, Only It Will Just Be The Guts I Bury.

Comment

Where I hunt you have to field dress it before you bring it to the check station. A couple of years ago they were not letting you quater the animal but now they do. I would say that you have to check the rules for your area.

Comment

No field dressing on public land? That's a new one on me.

Comment

From what I understand at Amistad ,and at LANWR, an animal has to be field dreesed in the field. At Amistad it cant be brought back and displayed where the general public non hunters are using the park or where the campgrounds are.

Comment

I don't field dress ever!! I just get him on the ole 4wheeler and take him to the house. But I am not hunting a WMA, just plain Nat. forest

Comment

I usually try to get away from my spot a lil bit, or if they run off aways I'll do it where they dropped. Then game cart to the truck. A few years ago I carried a doe out field dressed, my climber, my bow, my waist pack all at one time and it liked to have KILLED me!!! I bought a game cart after that.
                      Last edited by switchback; 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I usually just put my orange hat on the deer and carry it out across my shoulders Tred Barta style. Actually I haven't killed one yet but I'd gut them away from my hunting area, then throw it on my cart.

Comment

All the public hunts I have been on they have told me to field dress the deer. IT is due to not having to have a big gut pile to clean up at the ranger station.

Comment

Field dress where they fall unless in tall grass..

Comment

Actually I don't field dress, leave the innards in the deer, skin and debone the deer, throw carcass away with the innards still inside, that way you don't have to fiddle with the guts, besides it's not that much work to drag one out/ guts. If it is extremely warm 90 degrees or warmer then I drag it to my truck and dress it, just get away from where you hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X