6.5 Grendel: LaRue kit or piece together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel: LaRue kit or piece together

I’ve decided 6.5 Grendel is next. I am intrigued by the Howa mini action bolt gun but need someone to convince me to go that route. Looking at the LaRue Ultimate AR Kit in 6.5 grendel it seems like a no brainer for an amateur when it comes to putting ARs together. I have a stripped lower and parts ready to put together just trying to decide on the upper. If any of you have pieced together a grendel and don’t mind sharing an upper parts list I’d appreciate it. Mainly looking for an all around hunting gun for whitetail or smaller game and I don’t reload. Will be shot suppressed 99% of the time. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Saltwaterag View Post
    I’ve decided 6.5 Grendel is next. I am intrigued by the Howa mini action bolt gun but need someone to convince me to go that route. Looking at the LaRue Ultimate AR Kit in 6.5 grendel it seems like a no brainer for an amateur when it comes to putting ARs together. I have a stripped lower and parts ready to put together just trying to decide on the upper. If any of you have pieced together a grendel and don’t mind sharing an upper parts list I’d appreciate it. Mainly looking for an all around hunting gun for whitetail or smaller game and I don’t reload. Will be shot suppressed 99% of the time. Thanks!
    You can't go wrong with the LaRue UU. Mine shoots .436" at 100 yards so far. Choose the "I'll put it together myself" option and you can save $100 plus get your fix about having assembled it on your own.

Additionally, buying a UU will allow you add a LaRue suppressor for only $399, which is unheard-of for a .30 cal can. You can also buy a LaRue lower for $199, which you could easily sell for $800 to someone who isn't good at math.

Comment

I recently purchased a Howa miniaction because I wanted to try out the Grendel. I went with the barreled action which I plan to put in a mdt lss chassis. I wanted to run it suppressed and I don’t care for suppressed semi’s

Comment

Have to say the Larue kit is hard to beat

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
          Have to say the Larue kit is hard to beat

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
          x2.

I bought the LaRue UU Grendel and am very pleased. Really easy to put together and the accuracy is top notch. To get a complete LaRue for less than $1100 is a deal that I couldn't pass up.

Comment

I build my own uppers and lowers and will put them against anyone including Larue and will outshoot many.

When you are looking at an upper build (I am doing one for my dad right now) you need to start with a quality barrel. Here is what is going in his.

Barrel- Satern Cut rifled 20" with bolt
            Vltor MUR Modular Upper Receiver
            Midwest Industries 3GM Series Free Float Gen 3 M-LOK Handguard
            DPMS Bolt Carrier Group
            Power Custom Charging Handle Assembly
            Superlative Arms Adjustable Bleed-Off Set Screw Gas Block

Once you have quality parts and a match barrel you will bed the barrel into the upper with Loctite 620. I used to use Loctite red which worked great (barrel is impossible to get out without a heat gun).

Apply white lithium grease to the threads of the upper and install barrel nut to specs. Then install the gas block but use loctite 620 on the lower half of the block/barrel mating surface. I again used to use the red and the block will stay on without the retaining device. Takes a heat gun and hammer tapping to remove it.

Put hand guard on, BSG (with 6.5 bolt) and muzzle device if threaded I use a QD mount for my suppressors.

I have yet to put one of these together that did not shoot better than .5 MOA with factory ammo and most shoot cloverleafs at 100yds.

That is what I do.

Comment

The LaRue kit is a no-brainer if you want a semi-auto. But unless you want a semi-auto (honestly expecting to shoot/clean multiple pigs at once) or really like the AR form factor, the Howa in that little LSS will be most practical.

Comment

I’m looking at this as well - what advantages are there with Grendel vs 260 and 6.5 creedmoor if it’s a truck gun/blind gun? Just weight? Doesn’t seem to be a good hunting round for the Grendel - correct me if I’m wrong

Comment

From past experience I will probably go with the Larue Kit next time. From the time and money spent by trying out parts and barrels. I think this is the way to go, for $800 this is a no braniner.
                  Last edited by txhunter90; 02-12-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                    I’m looking at this as well - what advantages are there with Grendel vs 260 and 6.5 creedmoor if it’s a truck gun/blind gun? Just weight? Doesn’t seem to be a good hunting round for the Grendel - correct me if I’m wrong
                    That would be wrong based on my research. The Hornady SST 123 is a killing machine. Not to mention the Federal Fusion 120 grain which is an animal killing round if I have ever seen one. I guess ultimately it would depend on your definition of a "good hunting round"

Handloaders are also producing great hunting ammo.

OP - If you arent familiar with specing out an AR build the Larue kit is easiest assuming you have experience building them so it gets done correctly. Otherwise I vote for the Howa action as it has my interest peaked as well. For now my Larue shoots 1/2 MOA so Im good with that. OR you can pay them to put it together for you and shoot it the day it comes in
                    Last edited by sierracharlie338; 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                      120 NBT in the Grendel is a great hunting round at sub 200yd ranges. I have killed many deer and pigs with them.

Bug plus other than weight is the recoil. Much less.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        Bug plus other than weight is the recoil. Much less.
                        Yeah I find 6.5CM to have negligible recoil but older hunters and little kids may notice the difference.

For does and pigs at shorter ranges Grendel is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          Yeah I find 6.5CM to have negligible recoil but older hunters and little kids may notice the difference.

For does and pigs at shorter ranges Grendel is plenty.
                          In my grendel I can watch the bullets impact in the scope the recoil is so minimal. I also like the cheaper rounds that use less powder.

My kids love shooting it much more than the .308 win which is about like the 6.5 CM.

I also like the collapsible stock on the Grendel. 1 gun for me AND the kids on the blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                            .308 win which is about like the 6.5 CM.
                            This is not even close to accurate. Otherwise I agree, the grendel is a great do-it-all as long as "all" includes whitetail and pigs.

I switched to Creedmoor for my do it all because I didn't like the pucker factor taking big axis with the slower bullets, and was not willing to try it on aoudads.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              This is not even close to accurate. Otherwise I agree, the grendel is a great do-it-all as long as "all" includes whitetail and pigs.

I switched to Creedmoor for my do it all because I didn't like the pucker factor taking big axis with the slower bullets, and was not willing to try it on aoudads.
                              You are correct. The .308 puts much heavier bullets at the same speed as the creedmoor which will give it more velocity. Sorry for the oversight.

The 6.5 just has better BC and will overtake it.

Comment

Working...
                              X