Feeder light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder light

I put together a little feeder light using an LED hheadlight. I opened up the headlight and cut the wire's feeding the bright Cree LED. I sent the negative to the negative on the 6 vdc battery and routed the positive through the timer contact. The timer takes a 12vdc power source so I used a 12vdc battery for it. The timer uses a very small amount of current so the 12vdc battery wont need a solar panel. Just charge it every few months. The timer was around $12 on eBay and can be programmed for multiple different time's. The light only draws half an amp so a feeder solar panel should be plenty to keep the 6vdc battery fully charged if placed in full sunlight. This thing is plenty bright and should work great. I will update some pic's after its in place. I used a cantex PVC enclosure from Lowe's and it will mount to a perforated sign post similar to a pipeline right of way sign. The solar panel will be mounted to the top of the enclosure as well.
    Attached Files

I would love to have a little more info on that light and timer!!!
    What brands and models are they. That thing is awesome

Comment

Please PM me the info on the timer and light also, that is a neat set up. Thanks Kevin

Comment

thats sweet!!!

Comment

That's pretty cool!

Comment

Thats awesome. Boy you got my rat racing now. Got to have one.

Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Good idea

Comment

it looks good but you might want to consider how much you will be running the light. It is smart that you are using a timer but if the light draws 1/2 an amp per hour, a normal 6 volt battery has either 4.5 to 5 amps. It will also kill the battery if eventually if you run it down more than half way each night, so your looking at around 4-5 hours a night. But also keep in mind a solar panel does not charge the battery all the way up even in full direct sun light, it is only made to maintain. You might want to consider switching to a deep cycle battery, just my two cents. Keep up the good work!

Comment

I like it. You electronics guys always amaze me. I think I'm gonna need something like this for the new shack.

Comment

How about some info on the timer. Is it operating a mechanical relay internally when it goes on or off? Do you hear an audible "click" when it turns on or off?

I've been looking for a timer like this for another application and was about to hack a Tork timer I bought at Grainger.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                      Please PM me the info on the timer and light also, that is a neat set up. Thanks Kevin
                      x2! Hit me up with some info!

Comment

Great idea! I can't wait to see it in action, I might have to follow your design.

Comment

As mentioned above, if the light is drawing .5 amps a hour you will only get about 8-10 hours of run time a night with the 6volt battery. A feeder solar panel will only put a max of about 1 amp back into the battery with a full day of sun. To run that light all night every night your going to need at least a 17 amp battery and a 20 watt solar panel. Now you could set the timer to only run the light for 4 hours a night and then you could go with a 12 watt solar panel but you should still use a 17amp battery. You also should have a solar charger controller on it so it doesn't run the battery all the way down or over charge the battery. Running the battery all the way down will ruin it quick. The reason you need a bigger battery is so when you get several days of cloudy weather you will have enough battery to run the light for several days without the battery needing to be charged.

Comment

I like it....

Comment

any updates with this? How is this working out? Would love to know where I can find the timer.

Comment

Working...
                              X