Fiberglass Bow Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglass Bow Blind

I will start this thread & continue it through the process as much as I can. This is the 2nd one of these I have built. The process is a long one but very rewarding. Ultimately it should outlast my bowhunting career.
    1) Purchase the materials
    2) Understand & know time constraints
    3) Plan at least a week for completion

I will add a finish pic before the build up pics for those that don't want to follow along.
    Attached Files

OK, 1st , let's save on materials by almost eliminating the use of big lumber & expensive treated plywood ( we will spend that later on )
    Let's try on some OSB board & light weight pine wall studs.
    This is a long process but well worth it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far. Like the finished product too.

Comment

wathcing this one closely.

Comment

Very nice blind

Comment

Tuned in...

Comment

In......

Comment

Nice looking blind, would you happen to know an approximate weight on these blinds?

Comment

After the base frame is built, I cut 4 pieces of OSB at 72". Attach 2 horizontally to my 6'X4' frame. Fasten with deck screws. Tie in the end pieces with a couple small ring shank nails ( the fiberglass is what will tie all the corners together ) & screw the bottom to the frame.
                  Once all 4 sides are on, fiberglass all corner joints inside & out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

On this particular unit, I decided to build it with a Bay style window system.
                    After end pieces are secured & fiberglass has dried, mark a 2' radius to arch the top on both ends. Use a good jigsaw to make this cut.
                    At this time it would also be a good idea to cut out the door. I make an initial verticle cut on the R/H side 48" long. I then screw a 48" piano hinge to both sides, then finish cutting the other 3 sides. The hinge & door will then be removed so fiberglass can be applied.
                    I will try to put the finishing touches on this post as soon as I can.
                    Attached Files

Comment

looks sweet

Comment

looking good!

Comment

Like this thread, will keep watching for more

Comment

Ok, it's already on the trailer & going to replace the brother to it this weekend ( it will be moved to another spot with less visability ) so let's wrap this thing up.
                            2 sheets of 3/16" masonite are ready & set for the conastoga wagon looking roof. I actually lay them across an elevated 55 gal. drum so they get the preformed curve.
                            Take a temporary 2x2 or 2x4 & set it level with the very top of the end walls for a ridge. ( Remove this after roof is installed ) Set the 1st piece attaching the sides with screws temporarily. After it is located in the correct location, remove all but a couple screws from 1 side at a time & apply fiberglass resin to glue pieces together, reintsall screws. ( Repeat same process for the other side & next piece ( be sure to apply resin across arch where the 2 pieces overlap ( approx. 10 " )
                            Once the roof is in place, cut fiberglass strips to apply to all remaining seams, no seam is left w/o fiberglass & resin.
                            Continue to finish out the entire exterior & interior with a couple coats of resin ( don't forget to do the bottom ) including edges.
                            Finish with your windows , latches, hooks, etc.
                            Be sure to go back over all screws & holes with resin prior to paint.
                            Cut off protruding screws from inside wall & apply resin.
                            Finish with flat black interior & creative exterior.
                            PS: on this unit I built my own windows with 10"x14" lexan set in Oak frames that I built from old trim boards discarded from my old cabinets. Added residential screen to the outside & hinged with piano hinges.
                            Capped off with burber carpet, bow hanger, & a vid camera mount in right window
                            OK the last pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Very impressive. How much resin it take and how many coats?

Comment

Working...
                              X