Rinnia Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rinnia Cleaning

Finally got around to doing a clean out on our Rinnai water heater. The cut back on hot water has gotten pretty evident lately and when it affected the Jacuzzi tub my wife said "enough." Pictures included so this project is "for dummies" certified.
    1 - Locate pump.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rinnia3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	25007468

2 - Locate circulating tank.

Name:	rinnia4.JPG
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	25007469

3 - Hook up hose.

Name:	rinnia1.JPG
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	25007470

4 - Read directions

Name:	rinnia5.JPG
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	25007471

5 - Hook up hoses the right way

Name:	rinnia2.JPG
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	25007472

6 - Mix fluid and begin circulating

Name:	rinnia6.JPG
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	25007473

7- Tweak it as needed

Name:	rinnia7.JPG
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	25007474

Circulate at least an hour.
    Last edited by Tmag; 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Waiting time is a killer.
    Last edited by Tmag; 02-08-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Mine is an attic mount. I have done mine only once. What did you use to clean. I used white vinegar

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
        Mine is an attic mount. I have done mine only once. What did you use to clean. I used white vinegar
        CLR, plumber friend told me it works great. Sure bringing some color out of the piping.

Comment

I've got the same "tweak" handbook!

Comment

Ymag, how often should this be done?

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
              Varies depending on water quality but annually is a safe time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                Varies depending on water quality but annually is a safe time frame.
                Manual calls for annual cleaning. I waited 4 years, too long, and will do it annually from here on out. Also, it recommends 4 gal white vinegar and I will use it next time. Seems like the CLR left a funny smell in the water even after flushing for the recommended 5 minutes. We have flushed it some more and the smell is gone now.
                Don't forget to clean the filter, mine had a good bit of trash in it. It is easy to remove and clean, will probably do it on a quarterly basis.

Comment

I used CLR, but they recommend vinegar. I got the 10% acidity the next time. Afraid clr may be hard on copper. Glad you posted this because I had forgotten time to do mine again.

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
                    I used CLR, but they recommend vinegar. I got the 10% acidity the next time. Afraid clr may be hard on copper. Glad you posted this because I had forgotten time to do mine again.
                    Yeah, 4 gallons of vinager isn't very expensive. I think I will redo mine in a few weeks just to see if it will clean any more.

I believe the problem I have is that my big tub has a monster sized faucet that puts out more water than the heater can heat. It comes out luke warm to barely hot and my wife is not a fan of that. When I cut the faucet back to half the water will start steaming, but it takes a while to fill the tub then.

Comment

Working...
                    X