Ttsx no blood trail 3 hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ttsx no blood trail 3 hogs

Ok, two weeks ago I shot a hog at night, was one of a group of 12 or so. They al scattered and I did not know which one was the target. No blood anywhere.

So after looking a round a bit with out finding anything, I assumed I missed.
    Went back the next morning and there the sow lied. Oh well buzzards got to eat too.

This leads up to this weekend. Last night I walked up on one of the big boars that visits on a regular basis. I am pumped, been after this guy for some time. I get down on a knee and steady my shot- bang. No flop. Off he goes. No blood.
    Dang I must be the worst shot ever.

After getting myself together I go out tonight. Just before dark a nice 90 pounder shows. I am set in the blind. Shooting off the window rail. Bang, and off another one goes. What the heck. No blood.

I will confirm zero in the morning but am starting to think it may be my bullet of choice.

I am shooting an AR308 16" barrel 168 gr TTSX Barnes bullets.

The pig I found the next morning had entry and exit wound the same pin hole size. Are these bullets just running right trough them without any expansion.

Shoots are 80 or so yards.

I am so bummed. I need some meet in the freezer and to mix with this years venison.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Any recommendations on bullets for .308 hog load? Gonna be scratching my head all night about this.

:

Comment

Head shot= drt

Comment

All shoots aimed at vitals.

Comment

Had the same result with my 12.5” 6.8 SPC

Comment

Hit some bone

Comment

I ve seen the Barnes expand very little at close distance.
              I once shot a spike that was facing me at about 100 yards.
              Shot him in the neck and recovered a barely expanded bullet by the tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
                Had the same result with my 12.5” 6.8 SPC
                What did ya change to

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                  I ve seen the Barnes expand very little at close distance.
                  I once shot a spike that was facing me at about 100 yards.
                  Shot him in the neck and recovered a barely expanded bullet by the tail.
                  That's just crazy. So many people like them and they grouped real well for me.

Comment

Yeah. They group really good. Thats actually one of the reason i first got them.
                    But I was not impressed with results... They’re not cheap either.
                    I changed to federal power shock. Dont hunt much with a rifle, but when I do, theres no doubt in my mind that my gun/ammo combo do the job.

Comment

I guess I am going to go back to Nosler bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                        What did ya change to
                        90 grain Gold dots.

Comment

Try the 115 gr. Federal Fusion. Shoulder shots drop them in their tracks. I've killed them up to 270 lb. with a high shoulder shot.

Comment

Prime hollow points put a hurt on them

Comment

Barnes bullets are excellent in my 458 socom, perfect mushroom expansion on hogs. Used barnes in 300blk at first, great expansion but gets expensive. Went with varmeggedons and it drops them quick.

For my 308 i load 178gn AMax bullets, by far my favorite and most succesful round. Insides look like a blender went off.

Start shooting for the ear hole, no tracking needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X