Cows and deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cows and deer

How big of affect on deer movement do cows have?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mine just walk around them. Then come right back.

Comment

I had cows jumping in feed pen, knocked over one feeder. I used 4’ panels and they hurdled it, bull thought he was training. Since I lease the place to the guy that owns the cows, I do two things, cows are gone from Sept 1 to Jan. 31st. Second, I had him build a pen around my protein feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No feeders, just bottom land. I have had them invade my hand corn tho.

Comment

I've watched them chase deer away from a feeder!

Comment

Cows eat pretty good.

Comment

The deer hate the cows on my lease. They have ruined plenty of hunts.

Comment

From my experience is deer don’t mind cows a whole lot. Run off to 30-40 yards back and come right back in.

Sheep are a completely different story. I had some sheep in my pasture and deer would run to the next county if they came by.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
                  Kinda what I figured. Saw three doe early Sunday morning. Watched them head towards open area then turn and come back and go different direction. Maybe 5min later, saw the cows. Sunday evening was going to slip to the back to the open field.....yep, cows already there. We left. Maybe we should have waited. First year with the cows on the place. It was my granddaddy's place that my cousin bought and I hunt for free....soooo, can't really say anything

Comment

If your feeder pens are "cow safe", then you won't have a problem with cows. By "cow safe", I mean your feeder pens are strong enough to keep cows out and you are not throwing corn outside the pen. The cows will ignore it. If you are just feeding a little corn to the cows, they become a problem.

One the other hand, having cows around is not a bad thing, if they are not messing up your feeder. Imagine being 16' in a tree stand, but not being able to see much. You have a dozen or so cows within 300 yards of your setup. The cows will alert to the deer, before you see them. Watch the cows!

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
                      If your feeder pens are "cow safe", then you won't have a problem with cows. By "cow safe", I mean your feeder pens are strong enough to keep cows out and you are not throwing corn outside the pen. The cows will ignore it. If you are just feeding a little corn to the cows, they become a problem.

One the other hand, having cows around is not a bad thing, if they are not messing up your feeder. Imagine being 16' in a tree stand, but not being able to see much. You have a dozen or so cows within 300 yards of your setup. The cows will alert to the deer, before you see them. Watch the cows!
                      Makes sense. No feeder just watching the big bottom

Comment

Cows will definitely run the deer off if they come into your hunting set up. Place about three or four cotton balls in a empty heavy brass bottom 12 gauge shell. Place a arrow without a tip inside the shell and tape it to the arrow. When that lead cow comes in (there is always a lead cow), whack her on the shoulder or her butt with that shell and when she hauls butt the rest will follow. After a few smacks they will figure it out. A feed pen is always recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
                          This.... my experience this past sunday!!! I ended up pouring coffee on two different heifers for using my stand as a scratching post!!! 2 yrs ago they destroyed a feeder, two years before that they destroyed a feeder!!!

Comment

The deer definitely don't hang around but I've had some of the best hunts right after the cows leave. They rarely eat all the corn off the ground just the piles that are easy to pick up. Have patience, you will need it

Comment

When the cows start bedding downwind of me, I know I have a good cover scent and probably will not have deer coming from there.

Step in manure on your way to the stand. Good cover scent.

I had a 10 pointer walk thru the cows last weekend. Caught me off guard as I was moving around. He was 15 yards and walked right past me and thru the 20 head.

I’ve had deer step into the brush when cows come...and then step back out when the cows move thru.

Cows are not the end of a hunt.....Donkeys and horses are worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X