Hate a Thief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate a Thief

Wife left car unlocked in our driveway and someone helped themselves to my Glock 19 that was in the console. They also hit neighbors and got a purse with credit cards. They went on a shopping spree so, hopefully they will be able to track them down through that avenue.

I then wondered what the use of force laws would be for a situation where I would have been able to intervene in the theft. Knowing that they had the high probability of being armed and would be fleeing with property not likely to be recovered, is deadly force justifiable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daylight, use of force only. Nighttime use of deadly force, but do you really want to kill someone over a car? Best option is don’t leave your gun in your car. Ain’t judging, I’ve done it too.

Comment

Had incident when caught thief in my garage. Ean to room to get my pistol and came out shooting. Didn't hit the guy but blasted his car windows out. When police arrived they said i had the right to shoot if i didn't believe i would recover my property. I'm no lawyer or legal expert. Just my personal experience

Comment

[ATTACH]905939[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          [ATTACH]905939[/ATTACH]

Nice. I will accept partial responsibility for making it easy to let a thief be a thief. I will not take it on the chin and say that I am not entitled to be ****** that someone helped themselves to my property.

Comment

Remember when......shotguns hung in truck windows and windows were down or door was always unlocked.
            If you came out and found your gun gone, just hang on, a buddy had to use it but he will be right back.

Comment

Go fund me?

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                Remember when......shotguns hung in truck windows and windows were down or door was always unlocked.
                If you came out and found your gun gone, just hang on, a buddy had to use it but he will be right back.
                Ahh the good ole days. Miss those days. Different world now days. Sorry for the loss. Can’t turn your head for a moment these days

Comment

Originally posted by El Forajido View Post
                  Go fund me?

Lmao!

Comment

Gun

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                    Lmao!

HA!

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      yep, I remember when darn near every pick up truck had a rifle or two in the gun rack. Oh yeah, it was in the high school parking lot.

and no one ever got shot!!!!!

Comment

Use of deadly force is authorized to prevent the consequences of theft AT NIGHT TIME in Texas. That having been said, do you really want to leave the relative safety of your home to go outside and engage a person that you are reasonably sure is armed with a Glock 19? Not only do you have the consideration that he may get the drop in you and kill you with your own gun on your driveway in front of your wife and/or kids, but what happens when a bullet that misses you goes into your house and hit said wife and/or kids? How about if it all plays out in your favor and you get the drop in him and kill him in your driveway? You'll end up paying many thousands of dollars for attorney fees to represent you in court even if it is ultimately deemed to be a justified shooting. Not to mention attorney fees that will get drug out over several years while the criminal's family files a wrongful death suit in civil court. Again, even if you win the case, you've still lost a huge amount of money. Then what happens if you shoot and miss and he runs off? Hit the neighbors house and maybe someone inside? How about if you just hit your own car and it happens to stop the bullets? It's still going to cost you ALOT more to repair than buying a new Glock and chalking it up as a lesson learned about leaving firearms in a car and most certainly and unlocked car. Just food for thought. Having been involved in a shooting, I can tell you that I'd much rather buy a new pistol than have to deal with that mess again. And, my case was about as simple as they get.
                        Last edited by Pullersboy; 04-25-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                          Use of deadly force is authorized to prevent the consequences of theft AT NIGHT TIME in Texas. That having been said, do you really want to leave the relative safety of your home to go outside and engage a person that you are reasonably sure is armed with a Glock 19? Not only do you have the consideration that he may get the drop in you and kill you with your own gun on your driveway in front of your wife and/or kids, but what happens when a bullet that misses you goes into your house and hit said wife and/or kids? How about if it all plays out in your favor and you get the drop in him and kill him in your driveway? You'll end up paying many thousands of dollars for attorney fees to represent you in court even if it is ultimately deemed to be a justified shooting. Not to mention attorney fees that will get drug out over several years while the criminal's family files a wrongful death suit in civil court. Again, even if you win the case, you've still lost a huge amount of money. Then what happens if you shoot and miss and he runs off? Hit the neighbors house and maybe someone inside? How about if you just hit your own car and it happens to stop the bullets? It's still going to cost you ALOT more to repair than buying a new Glock and chalking it up as a lesson learned about leaving firearms in a car and most certainly and unlocked car. Just food for thought. Having been involved in a shooting, I can tell you that I'd much rather buy a new pistol than have to deal with that mess again. And, my case was about as simple as they get.

There’s more language then they are than just theft at night.

It sucks that the law is written in such a way that a man is scared to defend his own property from theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            There’s more language then they are than just theft at night.

It sucks that the law is written in such a way that a man is scared to defend his own property from theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I don’t think it’s being scared it’s more about common sense.
                            I have no desire to stop a person breaking in to my car now if entering my house he will shot.

I carry a gun on me every day and one in my backpack and never leave one in my truck.

Sorry op for your loss.

Comment

Man that sucks! Hope the gun finds its way to the Leo’s somehow.

Comment

Working...
                              X