No announcement yet.

Replaceable blade knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a Havalon and love it but thinking about getting an OE as well. The Havalon is a little flimsy but is great for detail/ field dressing. I use it and my old Buck lock blade ( for the bone work) for all my cutting needs.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
      They are all good but i don't like them because they are too sharp and don't hold an edge. Perfer to use my on knife.
      False...

I quartered a bull elk(gutless method) with one blade on an Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze. I switched blades when I caped him, but probably would have been fine to use the same one.

Cleaned 3 WT back in Jan using the same blade, and it's still in the knife and sharp as can be.

Love the Outdoor Edge, but I've also got the Havalon fillet knife, and it's fantastic for processing meat once you've got it de-boned.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
        I like Tyto.. Super light and handy.. Carved up the elk in my avatar with one
        I like mine but stopped carrying it for anything but head capping. Broke to many blades. Now I just carry outdoor edge. With that said, Aaron Snyder let it slip on a podcast that tyto is coming out with unbreakable blades.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          False...

I quartered a bull elk(gutless method) with one blade on an Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze. I switched blades when I caped him, but probably would have been fine to use the same one.

Cleaned 3 WT back in Jan using the same blade, and it's still in the knife and sharp as can be.

Love the Outdoor Edge, but I've also got the Havalon fillet knife, and it's fantastic for processing meat once you've got it de-boned.
          Pretty much what I use. Backpack hunts just the Outdoor edge. Texas hunts I actually use the barracuda more for skinning and detaching quarters. Then use tyto for Capping skulls.

Comment

I have both the Outdoor edge and the Havalon. Both have their own uses for me.

I do agree that changing blades on the Havalon can be a little difficult and you can cut yourself badly. Havalon actually makes a little plastic tool to remove blades that makes it ultra simple.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              Got a room full of animals that say.. what?
              actually i do for your information.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                They are all good but i don't like them because they are too sharp and don't hold an edge. Perfer to use my on knife.
                I agree on this with the Havalon and the Gerber but that hasn't been my experience with the Outdoor Edge. I carry and use a Kershaw I like really well. Had it for over ten years. I tried the two I mentioned and left them in the drawer after a few animals. I've cleaned four pigs on one blade with this Outdoor Edge. So far I'm impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                  actually i do for your information.
                  Get the award for longest time to retort a come back....however lost all points for comprehension skills.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                    I’ll be honest they are “to sharp” for me. I don’t believe for the same reason as above but they scare the hell out of me because I tend to go to fast. I use my carry knife for most things and have the havalon on stand by for certain portions.
                    Same with me but I still like the Havalon - I bought some washable gloves that are cut proof - got tired of slicing my fingers up

Last edited by TKK; 04-26-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

I have the Havalon as well. My only issue is that the blades are hard to replace/take off as well when they get dull. But I've been able to skin and quarter 2 deer at one time without replacing blades. I also have the Tyto as well, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X