What is Proper Traditional Form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Proper Traditional Form?

I'm still a newbie with a lot of information in my head that hasn't yet translated to my hands and eyes and of course the bulls eye of my target. I'm shooting a lot but it occurred to me that shooting alone may not be the best thing for me. Perfect practice makes perfect. But perfect practice with an instructor makes perfect happen sooner. Yes, that has much truth. Buff recently posted that we should get with the old guys (gals never get old but they know a lot of stuff) and learn stuff. It's difficult for some of us with all the distances and costly fuel between "old guys" and I would like to propose and idea for the "old guys" to consider for ALL the newbies to get close to an old guy at the same time.

I have read much posts from various folks about form and that we should work on good form before we concern ourselves about where our arrows are ending up. Of course I agree. I have been privileged to have access to a wonderful resource in DVD format, Masters of the Bare Bow Vol 1,2,3. I love it, enjoy viewing it, and want to learn every bit I can from it. While viewing one of the DVD's one evening, it also occurred to me that many persons who are new to traditional do not have access to those teaching resources either because they don't know about them or money is tight in families.

Here's my idea: I was wondering and hoping that some, if not all the knowledgeable folks here, 3-D shooters and hunters alike, would be willing to go out on a limb and share with us their "form" and other knowledge and experience in photos, video, and/or text and explain why they do what they do, and why it works for them. I think it would be a wonderful, free, online primer for us newbies (of course I include myself) to draw from. If a few of the energetic and computer savvy trad shooters would like, they might make and produce a video of their proper trad "form". The primer could include techniques on drawing the bow, anchoring, release, and follow through. All basics. It might include segments on selection of bows, string, silencers, arrows, and selection of accessories.

I realize that every one has a slight variation of form but nonetheless, the basics would still be present. I also realize that there are "sticky(s)" posted with the basics. My idea is not to minimize what folks have posted there but to enhance the posts with graphics. What I am proposing is an electronic book/document with photos, videos, and text from our own Green Screen brothers and sisters as a teaching tool.

Now, this goes without saying. Just because our brothers and sisters were kind enough to share pictures and videos of their rendition of "form", that is not an opportunity for anyone to bash their style, form, or otherwise. Some are very fortunate to shoot with these folks and know first hand how well they shoot. Obviously, they get results that translate to great scores and game harvested. They know what they are doing and it works well for them.

What do you "old guys" and beautiful ladies think about this idea? If it has little or no merit, please let me know. It may be difficult for some folks to produce a good quality photo or video but perhaps there are some of us who could help with the photography. I think it would be a fun and informative way to "teach" the newbies about proper traditional bow shooting form without being with an old guy (and beautiful lady) until they can afford the trip. Hopefully, if this idea flies, it would so nice if TBH would publish all the photos, videos, and text as a document/book/primer. It may be put in its own "sticky" to be accessed by all. It may just shorten the time some of us learn to shoot properly too since we have the benefit of the knowledge and years of experience from our resident "pro staff" right there in front of us. I would be willing to do all the work to put all of the photos, videos, and text together in one document so that it can be accessed. How does that sound?

Well, there's my idea. I await your comments and suggestions. God bless.
    Last edited by native_texan; 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM.

This would be awesome and huge asset to anyone starting out! I hope it happens!

Comment

There's a professionally done DVD Series called "Masters of the Bare Bow (I - IV)" that does just what you are asking for. There are many great shooters with a lot greater lineage than any of us showing, explaining, and re-showing their individual form styles (and why they do it the way they do). The video production is also a lot better than most of us are able to accomplish as well. Almost all of them have their own individual twist on why and how they do things also.

You can order the DVD series here:

Sorry...I didn't read all of your post earlier (the part about Master's of the Bare Bow). If you can only afford one of them, I'd recommend the first.
      Last edited by fletcherfor2; 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Watch G Fred video and how he shoots then DON'T DO THAT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba1986 View Post
          This would be awesome and huge asset to anyone starting out! I hope it happens!
          X2!!!

Comment

What ever form is most comfortable and where you shoot your best. I would read and watch everything i could get my hands on. then try try and try some more.

Comment

I could sure use the help but do not have much to offer as I am new also but the guy on this link seems qtqo qhave some. http://archersparadoxdotorg.wordpress.com/form-videos/

Comment

Originally posted by Tedak View Post
                I could sure use the help but do not have much to offer as I am new also but the guy on this link seems qtqo qhave some. http://archersparadoxdotorg.wordpress.com/form-videos/
                Jimmy is a great shooter and makes very good how to videos. I have watched them all and often refer them to those starting in trad.

Comment

If you could arrange to make a 50 target TBOT shoot and be fortunate enough to group with John R., Bisch (as bad as I hate to give him this credit) and Gene B. you could experience 50 targets of "how it needs to be done". These guys are shooters for sure!!! That would be better than any video you could buy because you could ask questions along the way!

Comment

Every since I watched "The Accuracy Factory" from Rick Welch my shooting has changed DRAMATICALLY!!!

Comment

First and foremost, have confidence in yourself, then your bow, then your arrows.
                      Next is start with a lower poundage than you can shoot comfortably. Watch people shoot, watch videos, try out everything you see, keep what you like and feels COMFORTABLE to you. throw the rest away.
                      Tune the bow to shoot where you look, having to hold over, align this with that or gapping is another way to just get disgusted.
                      Take your time shoot till your comfortable with where you are.. Remember your in a race with no one... Remember the #1 rule of Archery, it's fun keep it that away !!

There are many experts out there, some are dang fine shooters too. As long as you hit consistently where you want, at the ranges you want, and your comfortable good for you.
                      Always end with a good shot, even if you have 3 more arrows in your quiver left to shoot !!
                      Archery is 5% equipment and 90% mental and 5% waiting to the day to be done with so you talk about how much fun you had.

Comment

I agree with Sticbow, one of my oldest shotgun shooting buddies would always say "You're only as good as your last shot"

Shooting a trad bow well is one of the easiest things in the world to do. There's a 6" problem that screws you up though, it's the 6" between your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticbow View Post
                          First and foremost, have confidence in yourself, then your bow, then your arrows.
                          Next is start with a lower poundage than you can shoot comfortably. Watch people shoot, watch videos, try out everything you see, keep what you like and feels COMFORTABLE to you. throw the rest away.
                          Tune the bow to shoot where you look, having to hold over, align this with that or gapping is another way to just get disgusted.
                          Take your time shoot till your comfortable with where you are.. Remember your in a race with no one... Remember the #1 rule of Archery, it's fun keep it that away !!

There are many experts out there, some are dang fine shooters too. As long as you hit consistently where you want, at the ranges you want, and your comfortable good for you.
                          Always end with a good shot, even if you have 3 more arrows in your quiver left to shoot !!
                          Archery is 5% equipment and 90% mental and 5% waiting to the day to be done with so you talk about how much fun you had.
                          My ole friend Buddy Bell says traditional is 60% mental and 40% mental

Comment

I have no form whatsoever, but I usually hit what I want. Never understood the stand parallel to the target thing nor what the difference in distance (common hunting ranges) makes. I take the shot from whatever angle I'm in, wether it be facing, turned away, sitting, kneeling, etc. Just make sure you anchor the same and follow thru.

Find what works for you and practice that. You got a great guide in the Masters series, watch it, learn it, then tweak it to make it you own. And above all else, HAVE FUN

Comment

Unfortunately there is definitive form for everyone! Some are very, very unorthodox but, they have the same anchor, good arrow flight and the mental picture to shoot very well!
                              Basics in form are important - as stated above - draw ( bring string to your face - do not bring your face to the string), anchor, aiming method and finally release. As long as you can duplicate these shot after shot it really is irrelevant what you are doing with your feet or your lower torso all together. Many of us shoot so differently it would make you wonder what in the world is going on! The fact is this... we have found (after trail and error) what works best for us - both physically and mentally! I do something they tell you never do! I overdraw then settle in on my shot - it works and works well for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X