High rack for pickemup truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High rack for pickemup truck

This will be my first high rack to build for a pickup. The platform is 60"x72", and will sit right at the top of the cab. There's a basket that runs across the entire front rail and the fixed ladder will tie into the receiver hitch for support.

The crossmembers are a little funky bc I didn't do any figuring on exactly where I needed to tie the mounts up underneath until after the deck was pretty well together. I'm using 1.5" 14 gauge tubing for the structural part and 1.25" 16 gauge for a few of the floor supports as well as the handrails.

I got *most* of the expanded metal tacked onto the floor, I was about 3" short of being able to use one whole piece so I cut it at a cross member and will tie them in there, shouldn't make it any less stout.

Uprights for the rails welded in and straight.

Rail welded up

Added some mounting points on each corner for the straps

Flipped her upside down and tacked up the stand, the deck will end up being about 44" off the bed floor. Should give an eye level height of somewhere around 10'-11'.

Right side up

Front basket is added plus most of the 3" lip on the platform to keep stuff from rolling off:

That's how she sits for now, I will get back to it tomorrow morning!

That's nicely done there!!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Looking good. Does your camera have a crack in the lens?

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Nice

Comment

Looks like its gonna be nice.

Comment

Sweet

Comment

PM sent-

Tacking in the expanded metal for the basket:

Finishing the floor. I had enough of a drop laying around to cover what I needed, but it would have put the pattern perpendicular to what the rest of the floor already was. Not sure why but I just can't stand to do it that way, so I grabbed another sheet and added it the right way.

Flipped it over and climbed up in it to see how it felt. It was a little wobbly, so I threw it in my pickup and strapped it down to see how it was once secured. It's still light enough for me to put it on the table, take it off, flip it over, then put it in the truck by myself.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

The ladder is rigged up to be removable, for now I left quite a bit of excess on it that will have to be trimmed off this afternoon when I fit it up to his pickup. I used 1 3/4" 14 gauge tubing for the pockets, ladder is made of 1.5" 14 ga and will also end even with the receiver hitch will will tie into it...if I did my math right.

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Very Very Nice!

Comment

Very cool build.

Comment

Fantastic job, very impressive....

Comment

Working...
                              X