No announcement yet.

Working on my first knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a late start today so I didn't get to do any work on the blade. I did get a 1x30 belt grinder from harbor freight and got it set up and started making my jig to grind the bevel. Hopefully I'll have time to finish up the jig tomorrow and start grinding

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Finally got time to post what little progress I have made. I got the bevel ground on the knife but I am gonna take paintmans advice and bring the bevel up a lil more hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I can definitely see how you guys get hooked on making these things. Still hard to believe this started as a worm out farriers rasp lolClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394477038.399931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	24292528Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394477054.874751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	24292529

Comment

Looking good so far! Paintman is right, bring the bevel up some more. I know it's easy to convince yourself that you have gone far enough and you will kick yourself if you mess it up but trust me it will be worth it if you get it higher successfully. You are doing good for your first. Don't be afraid to mess up. It is the only way to really learn.

Comment

Farrier rasps are what I started out with. If you have an angle grinder, put a 36grit sanding disk on it and knock them "diamonds" down until they seperate. Also, I started runnin plunge cuts for my bevels ... lets ya know where to grind yer bevels to.

Comment

Your going to have to teach your brother how to make one when you get done.

Comment

Originally posted by akey View Post
                Looking good so far! Paintman is right, bring the bevel up some more. I know it's easy to convince yourself that you have gone far enough and you will kick yourself if you mess it up but trust me it will be worth it if you get it higher successfully. You are doing good for your first. Don't be afraid to mess up. It is the only way to really learn.

Thanks! I reworked my jig so I can bring the bevel up higher now all I need is time to work on it again lol

Comment

Originally posted by HAWGHUNTER3473 View Post
                  Your going to have to teach your brother how to make one when you get done.

I got everything we need to do it with now bro just get some spare time an come on to the house and we can do it

Comment

Working...
                  X