Need electrical advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need electrical advice

My garage has 1 110V outlet in it. My standard 40gal Craftsman compressor is the only thing plugged in. Whenever I turn it on, it trips the breaker after about 3 seconds.

What should I do? Have someone install a larger breaker?

You can't just install a larger break. You need to see what size wire you have and how long the run is. Where is the breaker box?

Comment

It's possible that plug may have other things tied in somewhere else in house on same circuit. Is it GFI? May be tied in to outlets on front/back porch or bathroom. What size breaker is in there now? Should be a 15 or 20amp. NEVER UPSIZE BREAKER without first seeing what size wire is on that breaker. #14-15amp, #12-20amp, #10-30amp,etc

Comment

look on the nameplate on the compressor and find out how many amps it draws, and then you can see what size circuit you need.

Comment

do not install a larger breaker ! you may have a weak breaker that needs replacing? make sure your outlet is not a GFI ? check the amp rating of compressor and see if it is not over 20 amp rating.

Comment

You need to figure out why it's tripping first. Take an Amp reading and see if it is pulling higher than the rated amps and/or more than the breaker is sized for.

If not, you may have a bad breaker and you should replace it with the same size.

If the compressor is pulling higher than rated Amps then it may be bad or it may be due to excessive voltage drop.

Check all the connections at the outlet and the breaker, make sure all connections are tight. If the outlet is a stab in type replace it with a screw terminal type, or move the wires to the screw terminals if it has them.

If you want to go bigger on the breaker you need to see what size wire you have and then size the breaker based on that. I'll bet that you don't have big enough wire to go bigger though.

If the circuit is fine and the compressor is pulling rated amps you need a bigger service. Best to just install a new plug, wiring and breaker.

Comment

Ok, you guys are asking me too many questions lol. I get home in a few hours and I'll get all the ratings for everything.

Comment

Need nameplate 1st of motor to see if volt and amp is within breaker capacity. Ex: 120v 8amps on nameplate is good for 15 or 20amp single pole breaker. Then do an amp check on hot wire if you have an amp probe tester (have to take panel cover off to get to wire on breaker). If that's good, then see if other things are on that same circuit (check amp of hot wire with compressor off). If that's good and amps is below breaker rating with everything running then it's possible the breaker is weak and needs replaced.

Comment

It would be easier just to call a professional

Comment

After 3 minutes tells me you have a poor connection be it the receptacle wiring or the prongs on the cord. It's building up heat due to arcing at a connection. That puts heat on the entire circuit and causes it to trip.

Comment

UPDATE:

1) House is a standard cookie cutter suburban home, power is in box on side (outside) of house

2) Compressor is 15 amp

3) Breaker for it is 15 amp (although there are quite a few other 20's & 30's in there)

4) Outlet DOES say GFI on it

5) Shuts down after 3 seconds, not 3 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                        UPDATE:

1) House is a standard cookie cutter suburban home, power is in box on side (outside) of house

2) Compressor is 15 amp

3) Breaker for it is 15 amp (although there are quite a few other 20's & 30's in there)

4) Outlet DOES say GFI on it

5) Shuts down after 3 seconds, not 3 minutes
                        Is the breaker tripping or the GFI?

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                          Is the breaker tripping or the GFI?
                          The actual breaker

Comment

You need 14 gauge wire for 15 amps, 12 ga for 20 amps, and 10 ga for 30 amps. Just need to check before going to a larger breaker not to overload the wire. Might need to pull new wire for a dedicated circuit for the compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                              The actual breaker
                              You possibly have something else plugged in on same circuit on front/back porch. Most new homes nowadays have all outside and garage on one breaker with GFI in garage that protects all other outlets downstream from it. Your Compressor will start up high amps but level out at lower amps. 15amp circuit for your compressor is too small IMO. End of day, I'd hire an electrician to come run a dedicated 20amp circuit from panel to garage for a 20amp outlet and be done with it. Just let the other circuit be for other random things. Sidenote:If you have a freezer or fridge plugged into the GFI too, that needs to be put on a dedicated non-GFI circuit too. Cause eventually the compressor on the freezer will trip the GFI and I promise you it'll happen while you're out of town and all your meat will be spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                              X