Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Panhandle Hunting Thread (5th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
    May just be blood or photo anomaly, because he was full coated and gorgeous. I haven't seen any serious mange in a good while, or should I say, Chupacabras, but after 4 good rainfall years, high prey species production, followed by high predator production, then mange should be expected to make a return in the next few years.
    I must have missed this when you originally posted it.

I guess it is just the picture. For sure that is a big fat healthy coyote.

I have not seen much serious mange the last few years, maybe just one or two chupacabras. But I do seem to be seeing an upswing in minor cases of mange. It varies by what part of the county I am in though.

Calling seems quite a bit better to me this year than last year, for sure I am killing more. But I lost half of last year due to shoulder surgery too, so there is that.

Comment

I did not shoot anything but had a very enjoyable sit this evening. Started with an average 8 point that came in and hung out until after dark. Then a spike came in. Then a busted up 7 came in, and he and the 8 did a little bit of lite sparring. The 3 of them pretty well got along until 3 doe and 2 trailing bucks came in. When the doe showed up, chaos ensued. Deer running every direction and a couple of the bucks decided to throw down. Then a 3rd joined in. It was getting dark so it was difficult to see who was fighting who but there were 3 bucks involved, and they got after each other pretty good. It was a running battle that covered at least 100 yards of ground and lasted at least 5 minutes. First serious buck fight I've witnessed and what a thrill it was!

On a side note, on our place bucks are still searching (some) and there are still a few sets of doe/fawns paired up. Watched a small, lone fawn yesterday evening that I believe had just been kicked off by its momma.

Comment

From my hunt last night. Didn't turn out as I had hoped but still an enjoyable sit. Had 6 bucks come in and shot a nice 8 but hit him low. Hopefully he's not hurt too bad and comes back. The future looks bright with all of these young bucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry about the low hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Sorry about the low hit.
            Thanks! It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
              Thanks! It happens.

Yes it does and I got lucky and mine was a little higher and we found him, later, but we found him.

Comment

Happens to us all. Sometimes you make a bad shot and they drop in sight. Sometimes you make a great shot and they just walk it off. Deer are amazing creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                  Happens to us all. Sometimes you make a bad shot and they drop in sight. Sometimes you make a great shot and they just walk it off. Deer are amazing creatures.
                  That is an understatement! the desire and will to live in a whitetail and most other animals is unreal!

Comment

Dropped the hammer (ie. gun kill) on a 10 point this last Saturday evening. Grossed at a little over 144. Prior to a little breakage, he grossed between 146 and 147. My best so far and blessed to have taken him though I wish I could have gotten it done with the bow. Actually tried to draw on him a few days prior but my arrow fell off by string and clanged onto my riser scaring him away. After several hunts, I got kind of tired of waiting, not to mention that it's been almost 4 years since I've chosen to shoot anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                      Dropped the hammer (ie. gun kill) on a 10 point this last Saturday evening. Grossed at a little over 144. Prior to a little breakage, he grossed between 146 and 147. My best so far and blessed to have taken him though I wish I could have gotten it done with the bow. Actually tried to draw on him a few days prior but my arrow fell off by string and clanged onto my riser scaring him away. After several hunts, I got kind of tired of waiting, not to mention that it's been almost 4 years since I've chosen to shoot anything.
                      Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
                        Congrats

Thanks! I really appreciate that. Unfortunately, the prior date is too well remembered because it marks the date my former wife of 23 years decided to file for divorce. Needless to say, there's been a few years where killing a deer, no matter how big, was pretty meaningless. But God is good, and He can restore our happiness to us! So, I can enjoy a nice buck, my best so far, in spite of the recent past.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                          Congrats, Heron! Post up some pics!

Comment

I finally killed ole High Hat Harry. We have been after him for several years. He won’t score much but he is a old warrior.

Not this Cowboy...

Comment

That dude has some mass! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Duzy View Post

I finally killed ole High Hat Harry. We have been after him for several years. He won’t score much but he is a old warrior.
                                Good grief..
                                That buck is awesome.
                                Big congrats Duzy!

Comment

Working...
                                X