No announcement yet.

Old Farts Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick, as far as I know there are no otc tags in Wyoming for non-residents. They are draw only for non-res. However the general tags are very easy nearly 100% chance to draw.

Comment

Scoutman we have a grizz season this fall. The grizz are only over in NW part of the state.
      Plenty of great elk hunting all over Wyoming, no scary bear issues either.
      This fall we have a great elk tag and get to use it for archery and rifle hunting. Does Colorado allow you all to do that?
      Antelope hunting, get some PP and apply for an area with good public access. You'll need about 4 PP or so to get into a great area.
      I do know some of you have a hard time realizing that public land has good hunting, it does. In many area better than private.
      Why not apply for a cow tag at half the cost of a bull tag. Get to know the area while cow hunting for a later bull hunt. You can have up to 2 cow elk licenses in Wyoming, additional tags, plus a bull tag. Some cow tags are on NF and some have private access via HMAs and walk in areas.
      South Texas is a heck of a long drive up to here. Closest antelope hunting for you would be in SC Wyoming, Laramie is a 12-13 hr drive from Grapevine, Tx so you're 2 days out at least. Cheyenne, Wy just signed an agreement with American Air for one daily flight from Cheyenne to DFW. I would fly right into Wyoming,skip Denver.

Comment

No we can't do that in Colorado, I hope that grizz season actually happens read about it on RMEF newsletter. It is needed badly. I dont mind driving, used to be 27hrs to hunt when I lived in Ga. Only 15 now from my new home of Texas. We hunted antelope out of Casper twice, great hunt, great eating. Trout fished the Shoshone river out of Cody for 4 days on horseback, greatest camping trip ever. Nine miles in saw no deer or elk, saw grizzly tracks and saw wolves twice. I hope to hunt Wyoming one day, got to love a state that has more antelope than people.

Comment

My dad had a saying.
          you never know a guy till you go hunt'n with them.
          Rick, i'd put my name in the pot for this. buy id like to do a rabbit hunt with some folks first. i'm almost 62 and picking my hunting buddys and time spent afield are critical to me.
          just don't want to go on a long trip with azz0. and find it out after 12 hours of driving...
          just my 2.5 cents worth...

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            I have never gone to the trouble to put in for draws on any hunts. Doubt I will start now.

I'll just find decent OTC places, and run with them as best I can.

Rick
            There are Colorado units, that you will have a 100% chance of drawing. Between my father and me, we will have 6 tags this yr. Gonna be a lot of packing.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
              My dad had a saying.
              you never know a guy till you go hunt'n with them.
              Rick, i'd put my name in the pot for this. buy id like to do a rabbit hunt with some folks first. i'm almost 62 and picking my hunting buddys and time spent afield are critical to me.
              just don't want to go on a long trip with azz0. and find it out after 12 hours of driving...
              just my 2.5 cents worth...

Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want a young’un of 35yo, these are the kind of trips I want to start going on. I do practice some geriatric medicine as part of my family medicine training, but I’m not a mortician so I do expect cardiac clearance from your private physician before crossing state lines. 😂😂😂. But in all seriousness, I’ve got about a year or two left then I plan on jumping all over these kinds of DIY trips. You can’t gain that experience paying a high dollar guide service.

Comment

I definately qualify for the old fart group. Just turned 64. Would enjoy such a trip. A DIY can surely be done for 1,500 to 1,600 bucks. Have made several trips to western Co. My retirement date is 12-31-2020.

Comment

just got a call from a buddy, otc elk in idaho, he's got his tag and as of monday, there were 352 tags left.. some really good area's up that way,, sam took some great critters out of there...

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                      just got a call from a buddy, otc elk in idaho, he's got his tag and as of monday, there were 352 tags left.. some really good area's up that way,, sam took some great critters out of there...
                      You talking about Sam Stevens ?
                      If so, he invited me to go up there & hunt with him a few years back.
                      I just wasn't able to at the time.

Idaho is definitely on my list of (pay close attention to) places to go.
                      I have an Ex Son In Law who I still think quite highly of (Long Story).
                      He lives in Mountain Home Idaho, and has been begging me to come up there to hunt with him for years.

Rick

Comment

He lives in Mountain Home Idaho, and has been begging me to come up there to hunt with him for years.

Rick
                        yes sam. we have talked many times...good guy
                        rick, my buddy is working up there in the south east corner. if hes there next year,. I WILL BE TOO...
                        in the process of getting my legs back under me...and loosing weight..
                        LETS GO.. have big DODGE 4x4 will travel...

Comment

Rick, I'm about the same age as you. I'll be 62 in November. I would certainly be interested in going. Count me in. I'm in good enough shape to go right now but haven't been shooting much and know from past experience that a trip of this magnitude requires good planning in order to have good memories. I would love to have a get together to plan this thing out.

Comment

I love to hunt, but spending a months (or more) worth of income for a week of hunting has never made a lot of sense to me. Oh, I've done it, but money was real good at the time, and even then I regretted it later.

I'll most likely be limiting the amount I'm willing to be out turnkey to around 1,500 to 1,600 dollars, and less if at all possible.

Yeah, call me cheapskate. I don't mind.

Rick
                            When it comes to the $$$ and age requirements, I'm right there with you. Can't justify the costs for guides and outfitters right now.
                            However, I can't wait till 2020.
                            I've been dreaming about this for too many years. So for now, I ain't gonna wait. Me and my archery stuff are headed out the 2nd week of September. Somewhere in Unit #62.

Comment

Look into cow tags for some if money is an issue. They should be cheaper and a great way to get some elk meat. Cow and bull hunters could team up.

Comment

Rick,

I have hunted Idaho before, Ketchum area, it was an absolute hoot. Steep but not as high, no muzzy season in the middle of archery and hunt until the end of the month. We had about 1/5th the people around us as CO. Takes an extra two days of travel, but awesome country. And an elk tag can be used on a deer or a bear if one comes by and needs shot.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X