It Is All About Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Is All About Water

Simons said that water is the key nutrient for deer in any geographic region of the state when it comes to the species’ nutrition. “Water is the most important nutrient in terms of ensuring proper physiological function,” he explained. “Water is intricately involved with the transport of other nutrients, oxygen and waste into and out of the cells. It contains several necessary electrolytes, is critical in the digestive process, and even acts as a cushioning component for joints, the spinal cord and the brain. Though water has no calories, it does serve as a medium for chemical reactions that are part of a whitetail’s bodily processes, including the metabolic reactions involved in energy production.” Anything landowners can do to ensure that premium water sources are available and that quality water is distributed during the summer’s heat is paramount for optimal deer performance.

Originally posted by venado View Post
    Simons said that water is the key nutrient for deer in any geographic region of the state when it comes to the species’ nutrition. “Water is the most important nutrient in terms of ensuring proper physiological function,” he explained. “Water is intricately involved with the transport of other nutrients, oxygen and waste into and out of the cells. It contains several necessary electrolytes, is critical in the digestive process, and even acts as a cushioning component for joints, the spinal cord and the brain. Though water has no calories, it does serve as a medium for chemical reactions that are part of a whitetail’s bodily processes, including the metabolic reactions involved in energy production.” Anything landowners can do to ensure that premium water sources are available and that quality water is distributed during the summer’s heat is paramount for optimal deer performance.

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/resou...4-eb1c1ecd0f97
    It's A Lot about the water!!
    The more, and clean, the better.

Comment

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing Paul.

Comment

I’m the only guy on our 2500 acre lease that has a water station. Lease only has a couple windmills on it. Hope it pays off

Comment

Just for reference, right now my adult deer are drinking over 2 1/2 gallons each in 24 hrs.

Comment

Couldn't guess how many miles of pvc we have run on our ranch with water troughs every km. When I first started I thought it was all about protein pellets. Being from La. I discounted water. Not any more. We place a premium on having solid water distribution all over the ranch and at many of the protein pens as well.

Comment

https://www.texas-wildlife.org/resou...4-eb1c1ecd0f97
              Yessir, you are right. Especially in arid, dry areas. In SETx, where I hunt it is over looked because there is water every where.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                Just for reference, right now my adult deer are drinking over 2 1/2 gallons each in 24 hrs.
                That is an incredible statistic, thank you. We have no practical way of knowing what our water use is, but we have it readily available throughout the ranch because we know its importance.

Comment

I have learned how much water means too.We added 3 waterers to our 230 ac,plus the trough at the well. The animals flock to the waterers.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                    I have learned how much water means too.We added 3 waterers to our 230 ac,plus the trough at the well. The animals flock to the waterers.
                    What kind of waterers did you make. I need to make one for my set up just need ideas.

Comment

That is an incredible statistic, thank you. We have no practical way of knowing what our water use is, but we have it readily available throughout the ranch because we know its importance.
                      Thanks.
                      Actually, I miss spoke. There are 10 adults and 18 twelve month olds in there. They drink 70 gallons in a day. So really, for all adults it would be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                        What kind of waterers did you make. I need to make one for my set up just need ideas.
                        275 gallon totes piped to a small waterer sold at tractor supply.We sink the waterer in the ground. It is the red stall waterer they sell. The smaller the trough, waterer etc the better. Less evaporation.

Comment

The first thing I did when I bought my property was to dig out ponds and lay water lines. I have 15 water sources or one every 70 acres. This really helps keep the critters dispersed and not to localized in one area.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                            Gotta account for evaporation too but that’s amazing.

A lactating 1100lb cow will drink 20 Gallons at 70 degrees.

Nuts.
                            Last edited by Encinal; 06-18-2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

It Is All About Water

More water spread out the better. The less stress for your deer traveling to get water the better. Almost 10 years ago we ran 3 miles of water line and T’d it off to 5 troughs. The more years we have had these troughs out he more deer use them.
                              I’m working on tapping in to the line for a couple more troughs.

Water is the key to life, especially in south Texas in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X