Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico
Default Dads

Fathers Day is upon us. Congrats to all you fathers out there (early I know). Reminiscing from times past.

My pops and I didn't have a great relationship. He was a alcoholic most his life. As you know most drunks are good at seperating themselves from life and loved ones in general.

He missed out on most my growing up stuff, like sports etc. Mom pulled double duty and did the best she could. I resented him for several if not many years. I learned to except you can not change the past but be better in the future.

My dad cold turkey stopped drinking after he blew liver out his mouth. He hasn't had a drink in 10 yrs or so. Pretty cool dude when he isn't juiced. Wish I would have known him like this all my life. He is now slowly deteriorating in health.

This isn't a pitty thread but a bit more of moral to the story. I hope if you are a dad you have tried to be better then what yours was to you. I have tried with mine.

Coping and life mechanisms are different for everyone. I hope my past changed me for the better with my 2 daughters. Peace.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
Fathers Day is upon us. Congrats to all you fathers out there (early I know). Reminiscing from times past.

My pops and I didn't have a great relationship. He was a alcoholic most his life. As you know most drunks are good at seperating themselves from life and loved ones in general.

He missed out on most my growing up stuff, like sports etc. Mom pulled double duty and did the best she could. I resented him for several if not many years. I learned to except you can not change the past but be better in the future.

My dad cold turkey stopped drinking after he blew liver out his mouth. He hasn't had a drink in 10 yrs or so. Pretty cool dude when he isn't juiced. Wish I would have known him like this all my life. He is now slowly deteriorating in health.

This isn't a pitty thread but a bit more of moral to the story. I hope if you are a dad you have tried to be better then what yours was to you. I have tried with mine.

Coping and life mechanisms are different for everyone. I hope my past changed me for the better with my 2 daughters. Peace.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
How about a crookedarrow subforum?

Last edited by Burnadell; 06-16-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post

Thank you for sharing.

Truth. Sad it hit him that hard to make him quit.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Great post. Trying to do the same with my two boys.
TreyRo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
brysdad
Ten Point

I had two dads growing up and I guess I still do. Mom and dad split when I was a wee boy. Mom married my stepdad. God bless that man for putting up with more than any one person should. He’s the closest to an angel as I’ll ever hope to meet but we’re not close. We never were. My bio dad is my go to. Mom messed with that relationship while I was growing up. We weren’t close then. We are now. I talk to him more than anyone but my wife. My goal in life, I mean my number 1 goal, is to be married to my wife until one of us is gone. Divorce is SO HARD on kids. I’ve had two good dads for as long as I can remember. However, I still have some goals and want to do best by my kids.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

My Pops is approaching his 82nd. I'll be seeing him tomorrow at my daughter's home.

My Grandboys will be there as well with their Dad, my daughter's husband.

Thank you Lord, for giving me such a loving man as my father here on earth. And for giving your Son so we might know the love You have for us.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
newmathewsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

As I write this, I’m sitting in the room with my dad, watching him die. Diagnosed with terminal lung cancer last July and it’s been a tough row to hoe. He was always tough and I thought he was the hardest man I ever knew, but I look at him now and can’t imagine having to give him up. Make memories folks, one of these days, that’s all you’re gonna be left with. Happy Fathers Day Pops!
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmathewsfan View Post
As I write this, I’m sitting in the room with my dad, watching him die. Diagnosed with terminal lung cancer last July and it’s been a tough row to hoe. He was always tough and I thought he was the hardest man I ever knew, but I look at him now and can’t imagine having to give him up. Make memories folks, one of these days, that’s all you’re gonna be left with. Happy Fathers Day Pops!
How sad. Looks like you had a great dad though. Peace
Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

My biological dad was murdered and I was adopted by my grandpa whom died from cancer. Life ain’t like the movies that for sure!
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
newmathewsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Val Verde County

I have an awesome dad. He has given me the best years of his life to teach me and be an example of what a good father, husband, and man should look like. I haven’t always done the best, but I can hope to be like my dad one day. It’s going to be hard to say goodbye when the time comes, but I know I’ll see him again one day.
newmathewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
doublearrow
Ten Point

I'm a lucky one. I hope I can be half the dad my dad is.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmathewsfan View Post
Bless him and your family. May he have peace and comfort.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Like many men of his generation (born 1928) my father was what you could call “stoic” - not given to displays of emotion. That was good in some ways - I never once saw him really lose his temper. He was always kind but often said nothing at all - certainly nothing about feelings. He worked hard and sacrificed for our family but heart-to-heart talks were almost non-existent. However I knew he loved us because of the way he acted everyday. He taught me what being a man was all about without saying a word - he showed it by the way he took care of us and how he treated others. I have two sisters and I know he cherished our “guy time” hunting and fishing as much as I did, he just didn’t know how to express it. Reminds me of that old saying “your children are much more likely to follow your example than they are to follow your advice” He developed early onset dementia in his early 60 ‘s and did not know who any of us were for the last 10 years of his life. Brutal years. I am much more of a talker than he was and my parenting style reflected that with our boys.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Like many men of his generation (born 1928) my father was what you could call “stoic” - not given to displays of emotion. That was good in some ways - I never once saw him really lose his temper. He was always kind but often said nothing at all - certainly nothing about feelings. He worked hard and sacrificed for our family but heart-to-heart talks were almost non-existent. However I knew he loved us because of the way he acted everyday. He taught me what being a man was all about without saying a word - he showed it by the way he took care of us and how he treated others. I have two sisters and I know he cherished our “guy time” hunting and fishing as much as I did, he just didn’t know how to express it. Reminds me of that old saying “your children are much more likely to follow your example than they are to follow your advice” He developed early onset dementia in his early 60 ‘s and did not know who any of us were for the last 10 years of his life. Brutal years. I am much more of a talker than he was and my parenting style reflected that with our boys.
Interesting to note my dad may have onset dementia or Alzheimer's. He has most recently really lost a huge part of his memory and I will be taking him to a doctor for testing.

I am quite opposite with my wife and girls. Show emotions and hug a lot. My youngest daughter is like my pops. Hates hugs, crying etc.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Quality thread Crookedarrow, thanks. My apologies for giving you a hard time. You strike me as having pretty thick skin though.

My dad was stricter than almost anyone I knew growing up. Never any doubt that he loved us kids though. Grandkids have softened him considerably, which is always what he said about his dad.

It's funny but I guess the way things are is almost the same as they have ever been. Makes me feel pretty small in the big scheme of things.
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #16
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Great Thread! Prayers Up for the Dad's health.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post
Quality thread Crookedarrow, thanks. My apologies for giving you a hard time. You strike me as having pretty thick skin though.

My dad was stricter than almost anyone I knew growing up. Never any doubt that he loved us kids though. Grandkids have softened him considerably, which is always what he said about his dad.

It's funny but I guess the way things are is almost the same as they have ever been. Makes me feel pretty small in the big scheme of things.
No harm, no foul. Thick skinned cause of my dad and my job I guess. Learned some lessons from an early age. I am a different person around my girls.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Amen. I’ve got one of the best dads in the world. We bump heads a lot because we are so much alike but there isn’t a single person in this world that I look up to more, or anyone else that I call first when I’m in a pickle.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #19
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

If I can manage to be half the dad that mine was/is then I’ll be doing alright.

Thanks for sharing. We take for granted some of the privileges that we are born into, but things like this remind us that not everyone’s situation is the same. Glad y’all have made a relationship before it was too late.
be12hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #20
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Dad taught me to shoot and mom taught me to fish. Thought this song would be fitting for Father's Day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOarDxHV5M
Tommy Conners, Hand it down.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #21
Burnadell
Pope & Young

I'm sorry about your dad. Must have been a miserable upbringing and for that I am also sorry.

I am still haunted, however, by the image of blowing one's liver out one's mouth. How in the world could that have happened??? The liver is not within the esophagus, stomach, or intestinal tract, so I can't imagine how that could happen. It's impossible! Were you, by chance, simply embellishing to make the point?
Old 06-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

My dad was also an alcoholic, havent seen him since I was 11. That being said, my Grandfather was the biggest influence in my life and I never wanted for a father. He died 4 years ago and I miss him every day. I have 3 sons now and only my oldest got to meet him. Happy Fathers day Papa
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #23
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm sorry about your dad. Must have been a miserable upbringing and for that I am also sorry.

I am still haunted, however, by the image of blowing one's liver out one's mouth. How in the world could that have happened??? The liver is not within the esophagus, stomach, or intestinal tract, so I can't imagine how that could happen. It's impossible! Were you, by chance, simply embellishing to make the point?
Yeah making a point but yes he coughed up spoofs of blood. More then likely from his bad lungs. Lifetime smoker.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #24
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I have shared a campfire with two of the men that posted a terrible child hood experience with there fathers.

Roy/Billy both of you guys turned out to be great people and after reading these post it says a lot for you to.

I hope both of you had a great day because what I know of you two y’all are both good FATHERS.
125Dad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #25
PhotonSlinger
Eight Point

Quote:

Liver cirrhosis can cause esophageal varices. I have seen varices rupture on patients and blood rocketing out of their mouth. Maybe this is what the op was referring to have seen?
PhotonSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 11:01 PM   #26
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
Liver cirrhosis can cause esophageal varices. I have seen varices rupture on patients and blood rocketing out of their mouth. Maybe this is what the op was referring to have seen?
I learned something today! Had no idea, but, sure enough, Google confirmed it. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #27
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I miss my Pop everyday. Gone 8 years now. Too much to write.
Happy Fathers day everyone.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #28
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post

My Dad was also a drunk. It was funny in that his mother had been a drunk and he hated her for it. He was a salesman and a social drinker who never got drunk. He hurt his back when I was 5 or 6. After the surgery the use of pain meds and alcohol took hold in a hurry. He went to rehab twice. That never lasted long. I saw some things as a kid that I really should not have seen. Mom finally gave up and divorced him when I was 9. He was died right after my 13th birthday. I know it will sound cold but I never really missed him. I guess watching what Mom had to go through cured me of missing him. Sometimes you learn from the good examples a parent can set and sometimes from the bad. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 31+ years so I guess the turmoil did not affect me to much...LOL. I am glad your Dad kind of turned it around. Enjoy the time you have left with him.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top