Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why were certain forested areas of New Mexico placed off limits to public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why were certain forested areas of New Mexico placed off limits to public?

A friend had mentioned several years ago how he and others would camp out in NM. Unfortunately I can’t recall the exact location he was talking about. He would bring a 5th wheel for his wife. Anyhow, the way he described the land, it was quite pretty. He enjoyed taking long walks up the trails in the mornings. But at some point the area became federally protected and was now off limits to the public. He never got a good answer from anyone as to why the public was no longer allowed to even step foot on the area.

Maybe Ladrones has an idea. If only I could remember just where this is at in NM.

Probably turned into a habitat area for an endangered lizard or something.
    There was an area I elk hunted 1 year where I could drive a long way off the main road. I'd then hike in a couple more miles in. Two years later I went back to the same area and the gov. Had placed a huge pile of dirt on the two track trail and placed a sign that no motorized vehicles past that point. I could still hike in but it would have been 10 miles to the spot I had previously hunted instead of 2-3.
    I believe in that case it was an erosion control plan

Comment

UFOs

Comment

My guess is due to the drought, fire hazzard.

Comment

If it's recent it is probably due to high fire danger.

Much of the U.S. West is experiencing some level of drought and the Four Corners region is at the center of a large patch of exceptional drought

"In New Mexico, the Santa Fe National Forest, along with portions of three national park sites, closed June 1 because of extreme fire danger. The 1.6-million-acre Santa Fe forest is among New Mexico's most popular getaways.

The U.S. Forest Service also is planning to bar recreation in a handful of ranger districts in the Cibola National Forest outside of Albuquerque beginning Friday."

Comment

Are you talking the expansion of the wilderness areas?

Comment

It wasn’t recent. Just don’t really know much about it. The friend would stop there just about every year to camp after retirement. He jokingly stated that maybe they had aliens hidden up there.

Comment

Working...
              X