Changing Engine Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Engine Oil

I'm going back and forth on whether I should pay to have my oil changed or just do it myself as I have always done... How many of you take it to a shop and let them deal with the mess?

Any recommendations on who to use in the Arlington/Mansfield area?

What brand of oil do y'all use? I've always used Mobil 1, but not sure if there is something I'm missing out on.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have always changed my own oil in everything I own except my wife's car and I can't get my fat but under it.
    As far as what I use depends on the vehicle shell rotella for diesels and my antique jeeps
    Mobile 1 for 2000 TJ

Comment

I'm in a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 btw

Comment

Change oil on everything I own and have owned. Run Amsoil in everything from bikes and four wheelers, to personal vehicles, to heavy equipment.

Comment

I used to always do our vehicles. But after 2 bicep surgeries and 3 back surgeries I don't anymore. Plus getting rid of used oil is kind of a hassle.

Comment

I do all my own maintenance and use Mobil 1 in everything. I can do it myself quicker than taking it to a shop and a whole lot cheaper.

Comment

I've changed the oil on my truck every single time since it rolled off the lot brand new.

It's run Mobil 1 full synthetic or Royal purple ever since new as well.

Comment

I do everything possible myself, saves $, usually saves time, it's done correctly or I know whose ars to kick.

Comment

If I lived in town I may get it done. But I dont and have always done my own. Its pretty quick and easy, I can do it faster than I can have it done. As far as oil, I really dont think it matters as
                  long as its a good quality oil. Just pick one and stick with it. For no particular reason I use Pennzoil. My last truck had 272k on the engine and still strong. Wifes Tahoe had 240k and still strong. My 2002 Z71 has 220k and still strong. No smoke or engine troubles in any.

Comment

Sometimes deals are offered where I can't change my own oil for cheaper than what they're charging. However, I will never again let anyone else change my oil. Watching your oil pressure gauge jump towards zero while on the interstate is no fun. They cross threaded the drain plug and managed to round the head of the bolt as well. I assume someone didn't care about doing their job well and were using an impact wrench so they didn't notice. Peace of mind and knowing you actually got what you paid for is worth the extra couple dollars and the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                      I do everything possible myself, saves $, usually saves time, it's done correctly or I know whose ars to kick.
                      This. I use Mobil1 full synthetic

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                        I do all my own maintenance and use Mobil 1 in everything. I can do it myself quicker than taking it to a shop and a whole lot cheaper.
                        Same here - I may use other synthetic oil if on sale for less than mobil 1. DIY synthetic - you can do yourself less than cost of taking it somewhere and getting dino oil.

Comment

I don't pay someone to do something I can do on my own.
                          I have a auto that the dealer gives me free oil changes for the life of the vehicle.
                          If I take it to them it takes 3 hours out of my day. In that time I can change the oil in my truck and car.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                            Change oil on everything I own and have owned. Run Amsoil in everything from bikes and four wheelers, to personal vehicles, to heavy equipment.
                            How often do you change your truck oil with amsoil?

Comment

So far it's a resounding do it yourself dummy! I figured it would be and that's the way I've been leaning... Especially with the $85-100 price tag that I've been getting quoted....

Do y'all drive up on ramps or use a jack?

Comment

Working...
                              X