Lawyer thoughts...squatters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawyer thoughts...squatters

We have a strange opportunity to purchase back some acreage That was originally part of my grandmother's parcel. An uncle who owned it and recently passed left it to his daughter and she is selling it.

The issue we need to resolve quickly before making an offer is this....

My uncle let a friend of his put a trailer on the property and he has been living there a while. He pays for the electricity and cuts the grass as his keep. What I'm trying to figure out is if there will be any potential issues with the squatter's ability to place a claim?

Thanks for any insight that can be offered. I just learned of this opportunity and haven't even yet thought about what type of lawyer you would need to contact.
    Thanks!

I might add we generally would be open to letting him stay there to care for the place but there's a a bit of a history there and he's not stable.

Comment

Interesting. Tuned in for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
        We have a strange opportunity to purchase back some acreage That was originally part of my grandmother's parcel. An uncle who owned it and recently passed left it to his daughter and she is selling it.

The issue we need to resolve quickly before making an offer is this....

My uncle let a friend of his put a trailer on the property and he has been living there a while. He pays for the electricity and cuts the grass as his keep. What I'm trying to figure out is if there will be any potential issues with the squatter's ability to place a claim?

Thanks for any insight that can be offered. I just learned of this opportunity and haven't even yet thought about what type of lawyer you would need to contact.
        Thanks!
        I'd make it as clean as possible and make him vacating the land as a condition of closing the sale.

Comment

How long has your uncles friend been out there?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
            How long has your uncles friend been out there?
            I don't know for certain to be honest. (I'd venture a guess of approx. 10 yrs)
            They don't receive mail there and his name isn't on any of the documentation or bills either.

Comment

Just wondering. Has he been approached about leaving? Does he know your uncle died? He may be expecting to be asked to leave.
              No idea about the lawyer. Good luck with this situation.

Comment

If he's paying his way by mowing the grass, I would think he'd be looked upon as a tenant or renter and nothing more. In which case, he could be asked to move and then evicted if he failed to comply.

I could be totally off on this. But I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. Maybe more of bit of a hassle than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                  If he's paying his way by mowing the grass, I would think he'd be looked upon as a tenant or renter and nothing more. In which case, he could be asked to move and then evicted if he failed to comply.

I could be totally off on this. But I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem. Maybe more of bit of a hassle than anything else.
                  This is along the lines I was thinking too. I figured mowing/upkeep was payment for permission and could be interpreted that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                    Just wondering. Has he been approached about leaving? Does he know your uncle died? He may be expecting to be asked to leave.
                    No idea about the lawyer. Good luck with this situation.
                    Good question. He is aware as they lived in separate trailers on the same plot. He's not been asked to leave yet because the land was jut put up for sale and it may not be an issue. My guess is with his history, it could quickly escalate so we want to have ducks in a row to respond appropriately and swiftly if needed.

Comment

Sounds like a tenant issue and not an adverse possession issue. If you want the property and it's a good deal, I personally wouldn't let this keep you from getting it done. First step would be talking to him and seeing how open he is to moving, second step would be offering to help him including some cash to help him along, third step would be go through the eviction process if he wont budge.
                      Last edited by toledo; 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                        Good question. He is aware as they lived in separate trailers on the same plot. He's not been asked to leave yet because the land was jut put up for sale and it may not be an issue. My guess is with his history, it could quickly escalate so we want to have ducks in a row to respond appropriately and swiftly if needed.
                        The problem is that the way sane people rationalize things may not be the way the law does. Hopefully someone that actually knows will help.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                          Sounds like a tenant issue and not an immanent domain issue. If you want the property and it's a good deal, I personally wouldn't let this keep you from getting it done. First step would be talking to him and seeing how open he is to moving, second step would be offering to help him including some cash to help him along, third step would be go through the eviction process if he wont budge.
                          this (except it isn't eminent domain)

he's either a tenant or he is in adverse possession.

a thousand bucks is pretty good lubrication for most folks.....

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            this

he's either a tenant or he is in adverse possession.

a thousand bucks is pretty good lubrication for most folks.....
                            Sorry, I meant adverse possession. Him having permission to be there kills that issue on the spot.

Ive bought houses where people were trying to hold tight to an old agreement. Rather than try to get in a battle, $500-$1000 is money well spent. Just don't give a penny until them and their stuff is gone.

Comment

It doesn't help calling him a squatter. :-) Call him a tenant. Almost certainly not AP (though some judges and other triers of fact are morons). AP, by statute, is commenced and continued under a claim of right that is inconsistent with and is hostile to the claim of another person. This was a symbiotic relationship at its inception/commencement.
                              Last edited by RR 314; 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X