BBQ pit/smoker advice under $500.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ pit/smoker advice under $500.

Need a pit for the house. Last smoker/pit I owned was a clearance model from HD that I picked up for around $100. Darn thing smoked and bbq'd like a champ after I added tuning plates and other goodies but it was charcoal only.

Budget is <$500. I want something that I can smoke a brisket with as well as do a quick steak or two in the evenings for dinner. Dual fuel (gas and charcoal) is a bonus but if I had to pick it'd be gas over traditional.

I've looked at the egg shaped things and for the life of me can't figure out if you can do a steak on those or if they are for long-slow smoking only.

Advice?

If you want to go cheap and are mechanically inclined

Build a UDS for smoking

And buy a Webber Kettle for grilling

Comment

Big Green Eggs are very nice and can be used for both types of cooking but I think they are traditional charcoal or wood burners.

I built myself an Ugly Drum Smoker and designed it so I can move the Fire basket up and grill with it if I decide to. I'm sure with a little more R&D I could have integrated a gas burner system to run off of Propane.

Comment

The best I have ever had is a PK grill. I have one my neighbor gave me that’s about 20 years old and still cooking strong.

Comment

I just bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio from HD for $369. So far I’ve made steaks and chicken with the gas side and I’m currently smoking some beef ribs on the other. Seems like a nice grill so far.
          https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...3070/302624342

Comment

Big green egg, does steaks great and fast, you can smoke , grill or even bake on them, get a large one and it will last forever. Best grill I have ever had.it will cost around $800.00 .

Comment

I know you said dual fuel or gas but man, I bought a Weber performer deluxe about 2 years ago and will never look back. Has a propane lighter so getting charcoal hot takes about 10min. You can do low and slow with the snake method for up to about 8-10hrs and even longer if you get a “slow n sear” accessory. I think after the purchase and cool gadgets I was about $500 in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I say UDS or get on Craigslist and wait it out. If you be patient and keep cash ready you can probably get a steal

Comment

I just posted one here that fits your needs and budget

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post

I just saw that. It's a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                      I say UDS or get on Craigslist and wait it out. If you be patient and keep cash ready you can probably get a steal
                      I got a 2 door lyfetyme just like that, wife posted it for $200. Takes three men to load it and we still dropped jt and almost broke a finger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlife View Post
                        I just bought a Char-Griller Texas Trio from HD for $369. So far I’ve made steaks and chicken with the gas side and I’m currently smoking some beef ribs on the other. Seems like a nice grill so far.
                        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...3070/302624342
                        That one just hit the top of the list for what we want! Thank you for the reply. I'll be heading to HD this week to grab one.

I'd LOVE to have that one but the wife isn't a fan of smoked meat. Thank you though.

Comment

Not sure what happened to my last post.

Here is the one that I have. Bought it at Lowes for around $400. It had the thickest metal of any of the combo smoker/grill that I looked at in it's price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                            Need a pit for the house. Last smoker/pit I owned was a clearance model from HD that I picked up for around $100. Darn thing smoked and bbq'd like a champ after I added tuning plates and other goodies but it was charcoal only.

Budget is <$500. I want something that I can smoke a brisket with as well as do a quick steak or two in the evenings for dinner. Dual fuel (gas and charcoal) is a bonus but if I had to pick it'd be gas over traditional.

I've looked at the egg shaped things and for the life of me can't figure out if you can do a steak on those or if they are for long-slow smoking only.

Advice?

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                            That one just hit the top of the list for what we want! Thank you for the reply. I'll be heading to HD this week to grab one.

I'd LOVE to have that one but the wife isn't a fan of smoked meat. Thank you though.

1.) Your comments are contradictory.

2.) Get a new wife!

That Oklahoma Joe is what you need...but that would be only after you regain control of your marriage. Is that your wife in your avatar or just wishful thinking? She looks like she would love a smoked pork butt!

Comment

I have the Char-Griller duo and love it. Get the side box separate to save yourself a few bucks. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...5650/206282457

Side box is $64 if you buy it separate and $100 if you buy the trio with it already attached. HD has them on the website but out of stock online and in store and not carrying them as they are trying to push the Trio for $369 vs the Duo for $269 and side box for $66.

If it is going to be outside and not under cover, get the cover. It will save if from rusting out. I already lost one to the elements, swore I would not lose another.

Comment

Working...
                              X