Been waiting for this my whole life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been waiting for this my whole life.

It officially begins this off season. I lost my dad at 13 and he was wheelchair bound for most of my childhood, this has made me cherish the opportunity I have to teach and mentor my boy so much more. He will be 5 in May and he has started helping me with plots, hanging stands, and getting ready to hunt. I am buying a cross bow, building a couple of hay bale blinds, and picking up a couple of the stump blinds over the next few weeks to transition to the ground hunting with him. He doesn't realize it yet, but I have worked hard, spent years building up relationships with land owners, and he will eventually have the opportunity to chase big whitetails in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. But for the next couple of years we will stick mostly to my buddies ranch in Cisco to get him used to seeing a lot of animals and Getting familiar with the process. After growing up dirt poor and never having these opportunities as a child, I just hope he grows to love and respect the outdoors, becomes a good steward of the land, and loves hunting as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. As a father of a 6 yo, hunting, or at least working through the work of hunting, has opened my eyes to things I might miss, or forbid, may have taken for granted. Seeing it through his eyes has been amazing and refreshing. Y’all enjoy it!

Comment

Nothing like seeing the excitment in your kids eyes when you talk about hunting

Comment

I miss it. Both my kids where glued to me on hunting and fishing trips. Bay, offshore, big game and waterfowl. Now my oldest is chasing his girlfriend and my 15 year old is all baseball. He did tell me the other day he would go chase ducks with me during his Christmas break once. It ain't much but I'll take it

Comment

Nothing like it. I was blessed with 4 boys. They are now 35,31, 19 year old twins. They love the outdoors and I get to hunt with them all of the time. I have never killed a deer that was ever more exciting than when each of those boys got their first. I still get the most satisfaction from their success. Cherish the moments with your kids. It just doesn't get any better

Comment

Good job, dad! Does refer to you as his old man?

Comment

Good times. Both my boys have always "helped" with checking cams, filling feeders, planting plots but I finally got the oldest into the stand last year when he was 8, all we could get on the ground was a squirrel but he was excited as heck.

We've been out a few times this year and haven't been able to make it happen but tomorrow morning the first legal deer that hits the corn pile will become a target.

Cherish the time sir

Comment

Good stuff! Nothing like it!

Comment

Sounds like you're raising your boy right, just like your dad did with you.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Raising him right! Keep it up...

Comment

Ha and my 9yo just got invited to sleep over at a friend's house....and he accepted he was gonna get his first kill!

. It's all good, let'em be kids too.

Comment

Enjoy it. My 10 year old daughter has never shown any interest in hunting. She likes spending time with me but she says she doesn’t want to kill a deer. She eats deer, she’s just soft hearted and don’t want to kill one. So I becaome an assistant softball coach for league ball this year. Lol. Spending time is more important than me trying to coax her into hunting. Now the 4 year old Caston, he likes shooting the BB gun any chance. He just got a Bear first shot bow and he asked me 40 times if we were going to shoot it today.

Keep him involved OP. He’ll remember this all his life

Comment

Working...
                          X