284 Win or 280 Rem/AI in Remington long action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

284 Win or 280 Rem/AI in Remington long action

It may never happen, but for a little while now I have been contemplating building a rifle from my '87 model 700 in 3006, which has a 22 inch barrel and which I seldom shoot.
    I'd like a 7mm bullet, in case I go for elk, considering I may also sell my 300wm to finance.
    What say the Green Screen?

I would do the 280AI of those 2, a bit more case capacity and good brass available for it, even factory ammo if you want to shoot it.

The main problem with the 284 these days is good brass other than necking up 6.5-284 brass which you can do just expect to neck turn it to avoid the potential of the dreaded doughnut.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
      I would do the 280AI of those 2, a bit more case capacity and good brass available for it, even factory ammo if you want to shoot it.

The main problem with the 284 these days is good brass other than necking up 6.5-284 brass which you can do just expect to neck turn it to avoid the potential of the dreaded doughnut.
      This is your answer. If you don't do the .280AI, I'd do the .280 Rem. I would not do the .284 for the reason kmon stated.

LWD

Comment

280 AI. Easy choice

Comment

I do turn my necks already, although I'm less than pleased with my Forster neck turner. It's set screws slip.
          I had read that necking up the 6.5 was a popular option.

Comment

I would still go with the 280AI, but sounds like you are setup to get the most out of the 284 if you go that route. On that 284 in a long action be sure not to get the SAAMI throat in your build so you can actually get use out of that longer action. Work with you smith on how long to throat it so you can seat the bullets out longer than the standard 284 SAAMI chamber

Comment

Yeah, the long action is why I was considering the 284 Winchester. Long vld bullets

Comment

I have really enjoyed my straight 284 (I haven't shot a .280 though). Long action, 26" Bartlein MTU, .318 neck, .188 freebore for 168 VLDs. Didn't want to shoot 180's. This is a hunting rig so I wanted a little more neck clearance. However, as stated, for the best brass you do have to size up 6.5 x 284 lapua brass and turn necks. Lapua brass will clean up nicely at around .0145 or so leaving you with roughly a .313-.314 loaded round. Good load for me is CCI br2 primer with 54.5 of 4831sc. 168 VLD .010 off lands. Gets me 2710-2720. Just got 4 lbs of 4350 so I'll be playing with that a bit too. Not that it's a concern but my neck tention is .003-.0035 total, depending on how necks clean up.
                Last edited by kck; 11-30-2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

280 AI for me

Comment

280 AI, hands down.

Comment

280 ai

Comment

Another vote for the Ackley.

Comment

280ai

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            280 AI. Easy choice
                            Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            280 AI for me
                            Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                            280 AI, hands down.
                            Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                            280 ai
                            Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                            Another vote for the Ackley.
                            Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                            280ai
                            Has anyone suggested the 280AI?
                            I have an old 270 that will one day be reborn as a 280AI

Comment

I think the 284 is a cool round but really splits the difference between the 7-08 and 280.

IMO-the 280AI is the baddest non magnum on the planet. Running a 140-168 pill in a 26 barrel is getting all you can out of a standard action round.

Comment

Working...
                              X