Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Why I Switchsd to Thumb Release

I put together a video discussing my decision to switch to a thumb release for bowhunting. I had some great input from a lot of folks here that helped me make the decision! Several have asked me how the transition is going.

Anybody else considering making the switch?

https://youtu.be/-tntfHcT9-Y

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
tgil
Pope & Young

I don't shoot much, in fact, practically never these days. I don't even recall how I came to shoot a thumb-release, but it feels more natural to me.
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

I made the switch last year to a TRU ball 3 finger for some of the same reasons. I feel like I am more accurate with it also. I need to get a back up release so I might give the Just B cuz a try!
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

I had a bad habit of trying to punch the trigger with my index finger, plus the strap release was putting a lot of strain on my elbow. Thumb release solved both issues. It is a much different anchor point, in fact I can't say I even have an anchor point other than my peep, string on nose and chin, and E35 at the back wall.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

I switched about three years ago, and I think it is the best thing I have done ( archery wise). Like you, not having it attached to my wrist is great, but I feel like am going to loose it also. I shoot a Stan just X, they don't make any more. I have tried others and they just don't feel right, so I have three of them now. So yes it has cost me some money switching over. But the trigger crispness ( if that's a word) is fantastic, and well worth it.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
Army of Dad
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

I wondered what specific gear you were looking at that day.

It was good to meet you and you are spot on about CCR. Iíve not found any reason to go anywhere but Cinnamon Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Army of Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army of Dad View Post
I wondered what specific gear you were looking at that day.

It was good to meet you and you are spot on about CCR. Iíve not found any reason to go anywhere but Cinnamon Creek.

It was great to meet you, as well! Thanks for letting me use your "likeness" in the video! Keep checking that mailbox for the royalty checks!

I actually made my purchase in January with Jeff and Chris, but I didn't think to film it while I was there originally. The day I saw you I was there specifically to get some b-roll for this project!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Very informative and thanks for putting it together.....Well done.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

left you a comment. Good video
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

.... I've been with my Stan for 3 or 4 years now and I don't think I could ever go back to a wrist release
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

I’ve been considering switching since the end of last season, but I can’t justify the amount of some of those releases, however I like the idea of nothing attached to my wrist and wonder if I’d be more accurate with it.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
bubba joe
Eight Point

i've been thinking about this for a couple of years now
bubba joe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Tagged.

Been thinking of making the switch but never messed with one enough to be sure
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Very informative and thanks for putting it together.....Well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rladner View Post
left you a comment. Good video
Thanks for taking the time to comment on the YouTube channel! Those comments definitely help the vids (and the channel) gain traction.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Iíve been considering switching since the end of last season, but I canít justify the amount of some of those releases, however I like the idea of nothing attached to my wrist and wonder if Iíd be more accurate with it.
The price of the upper end models can be hard to swallow. Of course, there are some less expensive options available that serve the exact same purpose.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

I went to a thumb release when I purchased my Triax. Much more comfortable and accurate than the wrist release. Like others have said, I got where I was punching the trigger and my groups suffered quite a bit.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

I bought a true ball max thumb release because I liked the thought of not having something on my wrist all the time. Problem was I had it go off with out pushing the button more than once. Once it happen when I was drawing with no arrow and the string popped off the cam when it released on its own.. Decided I wasn't taking any more chances and went back to the wrist style. May be just a problem with this brand, It also happened to my brother with the same brand release.
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
I bought a true ball max thumb release because I liked the thought of not having something on my wrist all the time. Problem was I had it go off with out pushing the button more than once. Once it happen when I was drawing with no arrow and the string popped off the cam when it released on its own.. Decided I wasn't taking any more chances and went back to the wrist style. May be just a problem with this brand, It also happened to my brother with the same brand release.
Yikes! Was it a back tension/hinge release or a thumb release that locks on? I haven't had that happen (yet). I've had to be intentional about keeping my thumb inside the thumb trigger while drawing to keep from punching myself in the mouth!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
kruppa24
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yikes! Was it a back tension/hinge release or a thumb release that locks on? I haven't had that happen (yet). I've had to be intentional about keeping my thumb inside the thumb trigger while drawing to keep from punching myself in the mouth!
let me find a picture of it, not sure exactly what your asking.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #20
kruppa24
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Here's a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good video Michael . And welcome to the thumb release world. I started with a cheap one ($10) back when I bought a used compound in '91, my first compound, and put down the recurve. And used them for many years up to about 2000. And yes, I've had them get knocked off while sitting in a tree. Learned to carry a back-up real fast back then . Went with a trigger style about 2000. Then bought another thumb back about 2010. I regularly switch between a thumb and trigger through the year now. Makes me focus more on what I'm doing.

Lets see now: You've switched bow mfgs. And now release types. You gonna switch broadheads next?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Good video Michael . And welcome to the thumb release world. I started with a cheap one ($10) back when I bought a used compound in '91, my first compound, and put down the recurve. And used them for many years up to about 2000. And yes, I've had them get knocked off while sitting in a tree. Learned to carry a back-up real fast back then . Went with a trigger style about 2000. Then bought another thumb back about 2010. I regularly switch between a thumb and trigger through the year now. Makes me focus more on what I'm doing.

Lets see now: You've switched bow mfgs. And now release types. You gonna switch broadheads next?
Arrows first!

I'm getting a lot of "encouragement" to go with fixed, COC head for elk. I'm evaluating my options there, but you'll be hard pressed to get me to change from my beloved Jak Hammers for whitetail! I tried following the crowd there once, and learned a lesson. If it ain't broke...

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #23
rladner
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's a picture of it.

I've been using that style for years with no issues. I actually have two of them (one for backup) and use them both regularly with no issues. Definitely not an issue I want to encounter, but for the last 6 or so years I've never had that problem. Wonder if you have a newer model or if they changed manufacturing or something.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
kruppa24
Ten Point

Quote:
I've been using that style for years with no issues. I actually have two of them (one for backup) and use them both regularly with no issues. Definitely not an issue I want to encounter, but for the last 6 or so years I've never had that problem. Wonder if you have a newer model or if they changed manufacturing or something.
I bought my at cabelas about 4 years ago. same with my brothers.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #25
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Very good video Michael. Thanks for sharing your experience of making the switch.

Im interested to see what you rig up for a release tether/lanyard.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #26
critter69
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba joe View Post
i've been thinking about this for a couple of years now
Try it, it may take a bit to get used to, but they are great. You will most likely wonder why you didn't do it earlier. At least I did.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #27
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Iíve been considering switching since the end of last season, but I canít justify the amount of some of those releases, however I like the idea of nothing attached to my wrist and wonder if Iíd be more accurate with it.
I have been dropping hints to my wife about wanting a knock2it for over a year and it does not seem to be working. I almost have enough in the change jar to make the jump.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #28
SAC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.

Quote:
I've also been using that release since 2007 and have never had an issue.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
crc
Four Point

Made the switch last summer to a Carter Wise Choice three finger. For tree stand/blind hunting it can't be beat for the reasons mentioned in the video. I'd be hesitant to use a thumb release on a spot and stalk and not only for the obvious reason of dropping/loosing it because it's not attached to you. You may have to crawl to get the shot needed on an animal and that requires you to pocket it then reattach it to the D loop. That's a lot of extra movement that could alert the animal. It also requires you to take your eyes off the animal and look at your D loop during this movement. I'd rather use an open jaw wrist release like a Spot Hogg Wise Guy that you can attach to the D loop by using your thumb to feel, without having to look down to make sure it' attached.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #30
diamond10x
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I switched to a thumb release about 6 years ago and have never regretted it one bit!
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #31
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

Within the first week it was "How I backhanded myself in the nose" Loved my old Chocolate addiction 3 finger..
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #32
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
.... I've been with my Stan for 3 or 4 years now and I don't think I could ever go back to a wrist release
Love my Stan.

I never switched from a thumb release. I hated those other kinds. LOL.

I shot a Hot Shot string release from the 80s made in Rockwall up until two years ago. It finally died. I was in depression for months til I found my Stan.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #33
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's a picture of it.

No
No
No

Those are too much like the strap to your wrist kind. Not very smooth.

Try the ones with the stainless "hook" that does not clamp. Much smoother.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #34
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Well you coulda just started shooting left handed instead.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #35
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
I bought my at cabelas about 4 years ago. same with my brothers.
Did you try to adjust the holding weight? There should be a very small Allen set screw on the head, or in the handle at the T. If it is set too light it will fire prematurely under load.

You can also accidentally set that model off with the palm of your hand if it hits the trigger. Oh and don't draw your bow without an arrow ever!!!
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #36
kruppa24
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
Did you try to adjust the holding weight? There should be a very small Allen set screw on the head, or in the handle at the T. If it is set too light it will fire prematurely under load.

You can also accidentally set that model off with the palm of your hand if it hits the trigger. Oh and don't draw your bow without an arrow ever!!!
Yes, I did adjust it afterwards, but now I'm scared to try it.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #37
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

So...which one do you shoot better with?
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #38
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
So...which one do you shoot better with?

It's hard to compare because I shot trigger index release for 30 years and I feel like I shot fairly well with it. I've only been using thumb for 5 months. My groups are at least equivalent at 20 yards, but I'm just now extending that out beyond 20. I think over the long run I'll be more consistent with the thumb.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #39
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I had shot with the wrist release for years. One morning as I started to draw back on a buck...with absolutely dead still air...as the release tightened on my wrist due to tension, it made the slightest squeak. The deer heard that.

After that I bought a hand held Cobra. Over the years I have tried various releases. A true fire hardcore max buckle(gonna sell it), I also have and am trying the max hunter thumb release pictured above.

I am having a hard time getting used to the thumb release. Seems I always end up with the trusted cobra.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #40
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Good stuff! Along with all of the other advantages, it looks like you found where your anchor point should have been all along!

Great video. Very informative!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #41
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas / Hagermann when lucky

I switched to the chocolate addiction. Thinking of switching back.

Had one misfire over the top of a hog due to the 'trigger' hitting my jacket. Most of my practice I'm not wearing a jacket.

Another as I was in a ground blind just by rotating my body on practice draw. Right thru the side.

I do like shooting with it. But concerned for potential mishaps.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #42
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Erath County and Davis County Iowa

Great video Michael.

Between Tracy (my wife) and I we have about $1500.00 worth of back tension, thumb button, and wrist style releases. I use a Tru Ball Sweet Spot pure back tension exclusively for 3D and indoor. Of course I have to have 3. One set up up for 3D, one set up for indoor (hinge speed set differently for each) and a backup. Tracy uses a Carter Chocolate Lite for target and hunting. She has to have a backup as well. So there's 5 x $200.00 + right there.

For hunting I prefer a wrist style index finger release. In index finger releases I have Scott's, Carter's, Tru Ball, and Fletcher's. My primary go to release is my 1984 model Fletcher Fletch Hunter that I have used for the last 34 years about 98% of the time. Yeah....there is hardly any of the original finish left on this one.

I set up a thumb button for hunting one year. It was one of the Carter Just Cuz (not the Just B Cuz) which was designed by Forrest Carter and Dave Cousins. Great release as is the Just B Cuz. Anyway... I set up my bow and got it sighted in for the Just Cuz. Opening morning I was hunting a game tamer treestand. Got up in my stand and prompted dropped my release. I went ahead and used it foy about 3 hunts that year but went back to my Fletch Hunter. Shot execution and accuracy was the same with either one for me. Of course your bow and sight in has to be set up for each as you stated. My index finger release is easier for me to keep up with...... although I have left it in camp before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 06-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #43
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Love my Stan.

I never switched from a thumb release. I hated those other kinds. LOL.

I shot a Hot Shot string release from the 80s made in Rockwall up until two years ago. It finally died. I was in depression for months til I found my Stan.
I think I still have one of the old Hot Shot's with the cord on it.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #44
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
I switched to the chocolate addiction. Thinking of switching back.

Had one misfire over the top of a hog due to the 'trigger' hitting my jacket. Most of my practice I'm not wearing a jacket.

Another as I was in a ground blind just by rotating my body on practice draw. Right thru the side.

I do like shooting with it. But concerned for potential mishaps.
It sounds like you may have light trigger tension. I kept the standard spring because I don't want it too sensitive to avoid misfires or have it bump something while I'm walking and lose it.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #45
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
I had a bad habit of trying to punch the trigger with my index finger, plus the strap release was putting a lot of strain on my elbow. Thumb release solved both issues. It is a much different anchor point, in fact I can't say I even have an anchor point other than my peep, string on nose and chin, and E35 at the back wall.
Will switching to a thumb release relieve stress put on my right bicep when drawing???
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #46
JWF
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba and Gillespie counties

What made you pick that particular model? I have been think about making the switch but there are so many options.
JWF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #47
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Will switching to thumb release help with bicep pain. Will it force me to use more shoulder than arm ???
Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
critter69
Ten Point

You really should not use your bicep to draw your bow. So not sure if it would help. I did how ever tear my bicep ( work) and had to have surgery to reconnect it. They moved it to a new spot. But after healing from that, I have used a thumb release and don't have any pain, in my bicep. Right handed, right shoulder surgery.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #49
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
You really should not use your bicep to draw your bow. So not sure if it would help. I did how ever tear my bicep ( work) and had to have surgery to reconnect it. They moved it to a new spot. But after healing from that, I have used a thumb release and don't have any pain, in my bicep. Right handed, right shoulder surgery.
Thx man
Old 06-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #50
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

I switched a year ago, and I'm happy that I did.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top