• Show
Clear All

Hybrids actually.....pretty much where they overlap

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
      Hybrids actually.....pretty much where they overlap

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2018

Hey great recap ClayW of your SD and Wyoming trip. I was on pins and needles reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Oh wait![emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Hey great recap ClayW of your SD and Wyoming trip. I was on pins and needles reading it. Thanks for sharing.

Oh wait![emoji23]

🤦🏼*♂️

I’m still on the road....Great Falls, Montana now.

Comment

Rather than trying to take notes or try and remember the events, I decided to capture the hunt via video logs.

Day 1
            Each day started with breakfast at 4am and on the road by 4:15. We would be starting out in Wyoming and then making our way to SD after we tagged out.

The first morning had us at the ranch by 5am, parked on vantage point, and waiting for the birds to start gobbling. Once we confirmed the birds were where roosted as expected, we would move in and setup.

This first morning had us within 100 yards of about 6 or 7 gobblers and several hens. We were right in the middle of them but couldn't get them to fully commit.

After chasing them for a while, we left them and found some more. These birds were about halfway up the "mountains" and required us to do some hiking. After a few hours of cat and mouse, we came back down unsuccessful.

We spent the rest of the day trying to locate some birds willing to work with no luck.

Comment

Well done!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqQY1GWJlcU"]Merriam Turkey Hunt - Day 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                I wish I could say it was easy, but these Lincoln National forest birds are anything but. Some advice I have to offer is find water, scout several different areas (always good to have a fallback option if someone else has beat you to a spot), and get on their level and out in front of them. I’ve had several birds gobble at everything I threw at them as they continued on their merry little way. I’m sleeping in tomorrow. The cumulative effect of waking up at 4:30 local time and hiking mountainous terrain for most of the day has taken its toll. You really gotta want to kill a bird to be putting in the kind of work that I have. I’ll never take hunting texas rios for granted again. I’ll get out later in the morning and try to fill my last tag prior to heading back to Texas. There were two other birds with one I got and not much hunting pressure at this spot from what I’ve seen so far.
                Just now seeing this...congrats on your bird.

It sounds like your hunt was a lot like ours. It is some TOUGH hunting...I haven't decided if I enjoyed it enough to make another trip. I'd much rather hunt the farmland for Rios or Easterns

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                  Just now seeing this...congrats on your bird.

It sounds like your hunt was a lot like ours. It is some TOUGH hunting...I haven't decided if I enjoyed it enough to make another trip. I'd much rather hunt the farmland for Rios or Easterns
                  I couldn’t imagine doing it and limiting myself to a bow. I’ve hunted NM the last three years and have yet to find a bird work to my calls the way most of the birds I kill in Texas do. Sure, I may have to go through a few Rios before striking the right bird, but usually if I can get one to gobble more than once at my calls, it’s a safe bet that he will eventually work his way to me. That’s not been my experience at all hunting mountain Merriams. They do seem to follow a daily routine/travel patterns however, and will often come back to the same roost tree every night if unmolested.

Comment

Day 2

Comment

Awesome job!!

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3lZGPwvy0&t=21s"]Merriam Turkey Hunt - Day 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Way to go Clay. Sounds like fun times

Comment

Congrats Clay and PoPo! I couldn’t imagine anything tougher than the Easterns I hunted in NETX the last couple weekends.....but I have not had the chance to chase them “mountain” birds!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                              Congrats Clay and PoPo! I couldn’t imagine anything tougher than the Easterns I hunted in NETX the last couple weekends.....but I have not had the chance to chase them “mountain” birds!
                              Ditto. I got skooled by them as well on several mornings lately.

Comment

Day 3

Comment

Working...
                                X