No announcement yet.

Instinctive Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I wanted to shoot some TBOT shoots this year. Shoot at animal like targets at varying distance in the woods.
    It's different on a black in the yard. Even from a 3D target in the yard.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

True GapStinctive however is actually "split vision", where you are intentionally using the arrow to aim to some degree.

Rick
      There isn't really a "true" anything in an art that has developed over time and has many different hybrids of this or that and for which the origins cannot really be traced because it would be difficult to say one person invented it.

That is why when somebody says they shoot instinctive... I know what they generally mean, even though they probably don't come near close to what they think they are doing. And some folks that shoot gap, probably haven't shot gap in a long time, they just remembered how they started out.

I like to just say there are things you do subconsciously and some things you do consciously throughout your entire shot cycle from picking up the bow, putting your hand on the string, drawing it, reaching the point of release, release, and follow through. Then throw in all the places your eyes look during that entire time and what thoughts pour through your mind. There are ton of variables to say "this is this... and that is that!"
      Last edited by SwampRabbit; 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        There isn't really a "true" anything in an art that has developed over time and has many different hybrids of this or that and for which the origins cannot really be traced because it would be difficult to say one person invented it.

That is why when somebody says they shoot instinctive... I know what they generally mean, even though they probably don't come near close to what they think they are doing. And some folks that shoot gap, probably haven't shot gap in a long time, they just remembered how they started out.

I like to just say there are things you do subconsciously and some things you do consciously throughout your entire shot cycle from picking up the bow, putting your hand on the string, drawing it, reaching the point of release, release, and follow through. Then throw in all the places your eyes look during that entire time and what thoughts pour through your mind. There are ton of variables to say "this is this... and that is that!"
        I agree.

Except, I was the one who coined the term "GapStinctive" many moons ago (around 1999/2000), and I coined it specifically to describe "split vision shooting".

It was in a topic much like this one, and I did it as more of a joke than anything, but it stuck.

Rick

Comment

I'd never heard of gap anything. I only heard of instinctive. This has been a learning experience the last 19 months.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            I agree.

Except, I was the one who coined the term "GapStinctive" many moons ago (around 1999/2000), and I coined it specifically to describe "split vision shooting".

It was in a topic much like this one, and I did it as more of a joke than anything, but it stuck.

Rick
            That is pretty cool!

BTW, I have never heard the term "gapstinctive" before in all my internet travels, reading, or conversations with other trad shooters at shoots, etc. But if I ever do, I will know where it first started.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got in from a scout meeting. 8:15 and light is about gone. By the time I grab my gear and step out back there is a pale sky but almost darkness under the tree and behind the 8' privacy fence. I shot three arrows at 12 yards at a black black that was just a little blacker than the background focusing on the center. Can't see arrow tip or gap or . . .
              Just point and shoot.
              That's what I mean by instinctive.
              One with flash and one without. [emoji4]

Comment

All I know about instinctive shooting can be summarized into two statements.

1) I drives me nuts when I can't figure out why I'm not hitting exactly where I'm looking.
                2) It infuriates me when I do hit exactly where I'm looking and I don't know how I did it.

Comment

I believe a bow can be shot totally "instinctively" at ranges out to about 25 yds out of a bow that shoots an arrow with a relatively flat trajectory.I have performed the candle in the dark test in the past with good results and have made successful shots on game when it was too dark to see my arrow.It relates to the F. Asbell concept of pointing the hand where the eye is looking.Since the arrow sits directly over and on top of your hand you simply "point" your hand where your eye is looking with no reference to the arrow at all.It is a surprisingly accurate method of shooting. At longer distances where the arrow has more of a trajectory this concept does not work as well but it is great for shooting pigs in dark-thirty conditions.Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X