No announcement yet.

12" x 12" Solid Cedar Column vs. Cedar Cased Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you use, put it on a base of some sort so the bottom of the post doesn't rot out in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      Where did you get them?
      Cassity Jones lumber, Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
        Thanks.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

What is in the middle of the cedar wrapped posts?

Comment

Comment

We have had both and IMO the solid cedar looks better. The house we just had built last year has the milled 8x8 posts. I think our builder got them out of the jasper area.
                Last edited by tps7742; 03-29-2018, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Blast from the past.

We ended up going with the wrapped and they are holding up fine, we were already near the top of our budget at the begging of the job so we took the less expensive option. I wish we could have done the solid, but the wrap is holding up fine.

Another factor in the decision I would say, was that our builder didn't seem like he had a good source for the bigger beams and I didn't want to be his experiment. There were a couple things like this, he wasn't familiar with so we went with the lesser option. We got a great price on our per square foot cost, but paid for it with some lower end options, but, we are in our dream house.
                  Last edited by JES; 03-29-2018, 03:30 AM.

Comment

After 12 years my solid 12"x12" and 12"x18" cedar posts still look great! Pretty sure mine came from Cassity Jones in Tyler too.

Comment

i have 12" cedar posts on my back porch. I think it cost around $40 more per over wrapping them.

Comment

Current cost to wrap a 12x12x10' column in 1x12 cedar would be approx $120, a solid sawn 12x12x10' cedar is approx $415.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                          What is in the middle of the cedar wrapped posts?
                          Generally, 2"x4" framing. Structurally, it's like a very small room. At least that's the way our interior columns were built.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                            Generally, 2"x4" framing. Structurally, it's like a very small room. At least that's the way our interior columns were built.
                            David, I believe that's the norm for interior columns/posts. Exterior posts that I've seen are wrapped treated lumber.

Comment

12" x 12" solid if a 10'+ ceiling. 10" x 10" for 8-9' ceiling Put down metal cleats under it.

We did cypress but pine looks good too and a lot cheaper. Finish with several coats of sikkens

Comment

David, I believe that's the norm for interior columns/posts. Exterior posts that I've seen are wrapped treated lumber.
                                That makes sense. For exterior, we went with steel posts. We were basically going for strength with minimum obstruction of view.

Comment

Working...
                                X