All-terrain tire advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-terrain tire advice?

I have not kept up with the latest in tires so I thought I'd come here for some advice. I have a Tacoma that is my daily driver. I need to replace the BFGs I put on them a couple of years ago. I was getting a roaring noise and and some vibration I thought was a drivetrain problem. I've had two different mechanics check it out (including a Toyota guy) and both told me the drivetrain is fine - the problem is the tires are cupped-out. (plenty of tread left on them)
    Since the vast majority of my driving is on the highway I don't need/want a tire with a super aggressive tread. I do however, want a tire with enough ply that I won't get a flat from driving over prickly pear and such at the lease. So I guess what I am looking for is a tire which will ride relatively smoothly on the highway but I can still get around the lease without having to get out the jack. Suggestions?

Hankook dynapro MT .... it's a MT that rides like a AT had them on my jeep after seeing them on a Tacoma.

I also have run the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S on my F150 4x4 very deep tread 17/32 worked great on and off road.

Also liked the Firestone TRANSFORCE A/T on my Z71 they too have very deep tread and clean out well off road.
    Last edited by justintyme8303; 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Ive got Nitto G2s on my tacoma and love them. Not too aggresive for hwy but are sturdy enuff that Ive caught some stumps on sidewall and have had no problems.

Comment

Cooper discovery ATP.

Comment

Toyo Open Country AT2.

Comment

I've been hearing good things about the Cooper ST maxx. Supposed to be tough, and chip resistant on gravel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nitto G2 here, good ride on the highway, and decent traction off the highway.

Comment

What ply rating is enough? I don't want them stiffer than they need to be but want adequate protection offroad.

Comment

Jerp - Not sure where you purchased the BFG's but I would go back to them and see if there may be a manufacturers defect. Especially if they are only a few years old maybe you could get some good credit towards a new set or even a full replacement. Just a thought...

Comment

tires

good luck w/cooper sst on 3/4 ton diesels for 15 years now

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                      Jerp - Not sure where you purchased the BFG's but I would go back to them and see if there may be a manufacturers defect. Especially if they are only a few years old maybe you could get some good credit towards a new set or even a full replacement. Just a thought...
                      Got them at Discount Tire - thanks, I will give that a shot.

Comment

For majority highway I have loved the ProComp AT Sport. Very quiet on pavement and aggressive enough for the lease, easily.

For less highway the Nitto Ridge Grappler is the absolute best AT in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by uttlc View Post
                          Toyo Open Country AT2.
                          This

Comment

You cannot go wrong with Coopers. I have run them for over 30 years and get good life out of them as well as performance. And I run them a 3/4 ton diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                              good luck w/cooper sst on 3/4 ton diesels for 15 years now
                              Thread hijack alert****

I'm looking at Cooper tires for my F250. Did you mean STT? O have not seen the SST.

Comment

Working...
                              X