Cost of Braces??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Braces??

My 12 year old son apparently needs braces according to the orthodontist. He has had an expander in his upper jaw and wore headgear at night for almost 2 years in an attempt to correct an underbite. It was supposed to correct the underbite in 6-12 months. It still isn't fully corrected and now the ortho says he needs to pull a couple teeth and put in braces. I've already maxed out my dental insurance on my son with the expander and another $1,000 out of pocket. The quote they gave me was $5,600 on the braces. I told my wife we need to get a second opinion and at least another quote since this will be all out of pocket. I'm all for helping my son but this is a huge expense to us. I'm also hesitant to use the same ortho because the expander and headgear did not correct the problem we paid them to correct. Thoughts?

With our dental insurance our part was $3300 or so. I can't remember what ours provides for though.

Comment

$3500 for my son. 5 yrs ago

Comment

Take a trip to the border, you'll save some coin.

Comment

Junior is 15 and started with the 'procedure' when he was almost 9. Thank the lord we didnt have to pay by the month but we're at about 3600 bucks and they finally come off next month. He had expanders and some spring shock looking deal also

Make sure the cost covers everything no matter how long it takes.

Comment

My 12 year old is half through two year treatment. Insurance pays flat rate $1000 and balance of $5000 is on us. I’d have thought a second opinion is certainly a good idea especially if you’re not feeling confident in the ortho you’ve been using. I have a 10 year old who is in line as soon as the oldest is done. It’s expensive but I sort of figure it’s just part of the cost of owning the little buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

5K without insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by dmk View Post
                With our dental insurance our part was $3300 or so. I can't remember what ours provides for though.
                That’s what I paid. Twice. Two daughters.

Comment

Second opinion for sure.

Comment

I am a Dentist and thought I would give my .02.
                    $5600 is not out of line as it comes to cost of complete orthodontic treatment. If you don't feel confident in the orthodontist then I recommend a second opinion. The orthodontist might have been trying head gear to find a simple solution that can work in some situations. Sometimes thing just don't work out, the body doesn't respond like you predicted or hoped it would respond.
                    There are some times in my office when I am willing to try and do a procedure that is cheaper and better in the long term for the patient if it works. Many times it works but sometimes it doesn't due to one thing or another. Ya, I could always tell the patient that Im going to do the more expensive treatment because I know it will work. My patient usually thank me for the opportunity, especially when it works.

Comment

forgot to mention, most insurance have a one time clause for ortho. It is usually separate from your yearly benefits. Call your insurance to confirm your coverage.

Comment

$4,800 before insurance. Our insurance has a $1,500 lifetime max on orthodontics. With that, each treatment plan is unique.

Comment

I've bought braces twice. I don't remember the cost of either one of them other than it was expensive at the time. Looking back it was money well spent.

Get a 2nd even a 3rd opinion and quote.

Comment

Insurance covered some - total out of pocket just this past year was $3300.

Comment

Out of pocket with no insurance expect $5-$6k. Insurance will usually save cover $1000-$1500 if you have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X